Sam Hill @ National Champs, Canberra

adrian.gab

Likes Dirt
When I was at the National Champs in Jan and they said Sam's time was only good for 8th, when he crossed the line I thought to myself that he really is not suited to this track.

But... Did any of you guys see the National Champs on SBS at lunch time today?

Sam Hill pushed the gate open well before he rode the bike down the ramp. Very sneaky :) Clearly Sam is trying to hide what his real time is. But this is no surprise, considering he has often left his best lines till race time.

As most people are expecting him to do real crap at the World Champs in Canberra, I'm sure he is doing as much training as possible to close the gap. He said in an interview he has been doing XC enduros.

What's everybody's thoughts?

IZAKM

Likes Dirt
yeah i saw that, couldn't figure it out? i think your right there mate, he is known for keeping his sneaky lines for race runs.

Downhill Domination

Captyvate Media
Did anyone notice that Sma Hill left the gate open for 5 seconds IN HIS RACE RUN and then left?
That's why he did so shit! He let his competitors get a whole 5 seconds more then him on purpose, what was he thinking!

Does anyone have any explanation for this? :confused:
I'm stumped!
I already posted soemthign about it, and apparently the commentators said it was 5 whole seconds!

no_3

Likes Bikes
keep in mind that every other rider will be training hard for that race to get fitter and stronger, and even with waiting for a few seonds he was still 9 seconds off the pace.

No doubt he steps up for the big races, but I think this years world champs may be beyond his grasp.

Sam is a freak, but why is everyone so caught up on him and his chances of winning the worlds this year, give the guy a break! Maybe consider that we have atleast 4 other Aussies with a better chance of a top result on that track for world champs.

Last edited:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
keep in mind that every other rider will be training hard for that race to get fitter and stronger, and even with waiting for a few seonds he was still 9 seconds off the pace.

No doubt he steps up for the big races, but I think this years world champs may be beyond his grasp.

Sam is a freak, but why is everyone so caught up on him and his chances of winning the worlds this year, give the guy a break! Maybe consider that we have atleast 4 other Aussies with a better chance of a top result on that track for world champs.
Flat pedals + sam's riding style = no-win at stromlo
He's a moto rider FFS!

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Flat pedals + sam's riding style = no-win at stromlo
He's a moto rider FFS!
how can you possibly say because he rides flats he has no chance at stromlo? didn't you see rennie place 2nd there at the wc? oh but wait rennie doesnt ride flats does he?

didnt you also see sam win fort william twice? even though the bottom half of the course is basically sprinting a fireroad?

bighitben

Likes Dirt
Yeah saw that aswell. If it was 5 seconds then by deducting 5 seconds from his time he could've gotten in front of Ben Cory and come 3rd instead of 10th. I'm shit at Maths, but i know 5 seconds would've made a big difference even if he didn't end up beating Ben.

no_3

Likes Bikes
how can you possibly say because he rides flats he has no chance at stromlo? didn't you see rennie place 2nd there at the wc? oh but wait rennie doesnt ride flats does he?

didnt you also see sam win fort william twice? even though the bottom half of the course is basically sprinting a fireroad?

Im a big Sam Hill fan, so don't get me wrong.

But here's a point you can't overlook
Rennie is a big, stong dude. Sam....not so much.

I'll never write him off, but things are majorly stacked against him for the rainbows in 09.

Nathan_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DAM IT!

I wmissed that show i was out riding! Does anyone know were i can watch it like on youtube or something:mad:

DHD Jr

Likes Dirt
I saw that, it was 5 seconds (i saw it a second time and counted). I think he might do well at world champs if he trains real hard. Lets just wait and see.

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt

JUST because he rides flats doesnt mean he has no chance at stromlo......Clips are considerably faster for pedaling AND hill is better at technical stuff rather than all out sprinting like the biggest guys.

Honestly, IDC really that much about hill.

ordie

Likes Bikes
I saw it and i dont no why he did it.
He lost 5 seconds just by trying to hide his own time?????

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
its a mind game, i doubt he really gave it his all at the wc round either

people compare their wc time to his nats and wc time and say sam hills no good on that track, maybe they slack off a little in training or something and he can get them while there napping, it seems sam also likes being the underdog a bit, hes no longer got the number 1 or the rainbows so people arnt out to get his scalp so theres less pressure on him

caddy

Likes Dirt
Just Sam making a mockery of the National Champs again... like not even showing up last year.
He's probably sitting at home now laughing at everyone analysing his every move lol

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Good one girlfriend. Make me go to the fucking movies, waking me up when I'm hungover and not thinking the best she tells me we're going out, OK!

Get home and I still feel a bit shady, and still didn't remember that I'd forgotten, until I come on here.. Sometimes women can be bitches without even knowing it!

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
hes no longer got the number 1 or the rainbows so people arnt out to get his scalp so theres less pressure on him
Um, correct me if I am wrong, but once you win the Worlds don't you keep the rainbows for life?

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah you do but you dont get the full rainbow jersey, you just get stripes

im just saying people will be going after gee and minnaar more then sam this year, and dont forget minnaar had a shocking year following the last time he won overall

prosheep

Likes Dirt
why do people talk so much shit about sam? all i can say is i hope his strategy works good come world champs GO SAM GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brodie_rider

Likes Dirt
why do people talk so much shit about sam? all i can say is i hope his strategy works good come world champs GO SAM GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
exactly right. its his choice if he leaves the gate open for 5 seconds and leave it there, dont need an exact reason for it.please dont flame me