saints or fsa gravity light?

samarki

Banned
SAINTS...i had some FSA gravity cranks, put them on, bought a new gide wanted them off, got my crank remover tool, stripped the thread...took like another 3 hours to try and get them off...so now im looking at getting saints...

Rohan Hammond

Likes Bikes
Saint's or Gravity Lights

I have a mate that runs Gravity Lights and bent one crank arm with one good rock bashing a couple of weeks ago.
On the other hand Saints are also good but i bit heavier and also difficult to get in and out of Grip sport racks.
Personally i would run the Gravity Lights if you are confident that you will not smack them too hard.

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i need them soon otherwise i will keep snapping chains! so i think i might buy some 2nd hand saints.....

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Destroyed my BB before 3 months was up..

The cranks arms themselves aren’t much lighter than the 07 Gravity arms. The weight shaving is primarily the bb.
I have 08 Gravity lights, and have already killed both sides' bearings in the BB, the cranks themselves aren't damaged, and I'm not an abusive rider, I just believe they're weak BB's. I cannot speak for how tough the cranks themselves are, but when the BB dies after a non-abusive 3 months I have very little confidence hitting up big air. Imagine landing, having the crank snap, and have it get nice and intimate with your calf muscle..NOT COOL!!

As for the current Saints, I've read that the extra weight doesn't = extra strength, other brands have much better strength/weight ratios. I have also heard that Shimano have addressed this for their new Saint set, weights down within a competitive range and stiffness and strength are dramatically up...

I run Race Face evolve cranks and BB on my other bike. Flawless. Not the lightest, but definately alot stronger than the FSA's and strength/weight ratio is said to be higher than current saints too..

So after all that, if you didn't read above, don't get Gravity lights if you're doing downhill, look for older Saints or Race Face's. Both are heavy, but are also alot stronger and more confidence inspiring than the FSA's.

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have 08 Gravity lights, and have already killed both sides' bearings in the BB, the cranks themselves aren't damaged, and I'm not an abusive rider, I just believe they're weak BB's..............look for older Saints or Race Face's. Both are heavy, but are also alot stronger and more confidence inspiring than the FSA's.
I bent my current race face dh prodigy cranks!

ollybev

Likes Dirt
saints.....apart from there weight which on a dh bike is f all, there flawless, mine have taken bashing after bashing on rocks and you can hardly notice

Im using the saints,
The main thing u will have u way up is the reliability of saints to the fsa!
Mine have been great.. just make shore u get the rite spindle width!

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
I went from Saints to Gravity Lights mainly due to Saints not fitting on trailers and bike racks and Gravity's came in 83 BB.

The Saints were stiffer but the Gravitys have held up fine for 6 months.

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went from Saints to Gravity Lights mainly due to Saints not fitting on trailers and bike racks and Gravity's came in 83 BB.

The Saints were stiffer but the Gravitys have held up fine for 6 months.
so if i go to a race everyone is saying saints won't fit in the normal trailers :(?

Plow King

Little bit.
so if i go to a race everyone is saying saints won't fit in the normal trailers :(?
No they won't. But Bare in mind that there are an abundance of different trailer designs. Most crank holder trailers have multiple wider crank holders to make way for riders with saint cranks.

Ozza

Eats Squid
No they won't. But Bare in mind that there are an abundance of different trailer designs. Most crank holder trailers have multiple wider crank holders to make way for riders with saint cranks.
Thats were you live!
Majority of the trailers down here in Vic only have very few holders which allow for Saint cranks extra beef. This is not whinge, It isnt the clubs responsiblilty to modify the trailors to allow for a stupidly designed product.

Try get your hands on the Race Face atlas freeride crankset.
Greensy cycles will hook you up with a sweet deal...

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont know why everyone whines about saints not fitting, THEY DO FIT! they could only insert maybe an extra inch or so until they couldn't go in any further , my saints have been through almost a full season of shuttling and the only marks on them are very very minor scratches, no gouges or anything just little scratches

raceface cranks have the stupidest design to take them on and off ever, coupled with their utter crap bb's it just makes for one shit product that will feel like crap after half a season riding

mtb_champ

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i dont know why everyone whines about saints not fitting, THEY DO FIT! they could only insert maybe an extra inch or so until they couldn't go in any further , my saints have been through almost a full season of shuttling and the only marks on them are very very minor scratches, no gouges or anything just little scratches

raceface cranks have the stupidest design to take them on and off ever, coupled with their utter crap bb's it just makes for one shit product that will feel like crap after half a season riding
so they do fit? anyone else confirm this?
Thanks Ozza for your idea, I will try ring greensy during the week. know of the price?

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they fit, they just get tight about 4 or so inches in and cant go any further, if thats not good enough for you i dont know what is, they sure as hell wont be the ones to fall out of crank holders