VIC S&J Cycles Erica 3 hour Enduro

We have just finalised the race route for the upcoming S&J Cycles Erica 3 Hour Enduro. This year the race will take full advantage of the fast flowing single trail within the Mill Park area. The race will also utilise 3km of the newly constructed Silvertop Spur which will add an extra element to this year’s race.

The current wet and windy condition are hampering our efforts to ensure the trails are up to standard, however we are confident we will have the race track in good condition come race day.

I have attached a map of the race track for anyone who would like to take a sneak peak. There is more information available at the below link

It would be great to see a good turn out for this event, so if you are free on Sunday the 27th October make your way down to Erica and be rewarded with a friendly atmosphere and some quality trails.

http://www.gippslandmtb.com.au/

Attachments

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
Dark Helmet, I rode the loop last night and I think it will be a ripper race course. It is not as hard as the loops out the Collins Siding side that you have raced on before, but for 3hrs, it will be just right.

The new stuff on Silvertop Spur is still pretty fresh but I am guessing it will be faster by the 27th. The track going over the termite mound is crazy, though looks worse than it is. Power is the key. There is one tree down that needs to be cleared.

I like that you are running the loop right up into the Mill Park where the parking is. This will make it easy for getting food/drink or for spectators to hang around without having to walk to the course.

Hope you get a good turn out for this one.

Dark Helmet, I rode the loop last night and I think it will be a ripper race course. It is not as hard as the loops out the Collins Siding side that you have raced on before, but for 3hrs, it will be just right.

The new stuff on Silvertop Spur is still pretty fresh but I am guessing it will be faster by the 27th. The track going over the termite mound is crazy, though looks worse than it is. Power is the key. There is one tree down that needs to be cleared.

I like that you are running the loop right up into the Mill Park where the parking is. This will make it easy for getting food/drink or for spectators to hang around without having to walk to the course.

Hope you get a good turn out for this one.
Hey Fattrax,

Haven't seen you out there for a while, clearing these trees off is an ongoing task at the moment but I should have it clear by the weekend. Glad you enjoyed it. Hope to see you out there soon. Might go for a ride tomorrow arvo, let me know if your keen.

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
Just went out and had a shot at the coarse, plenty of stuff to keep you entertained and some good climbs too!
If you did it with one arm in a sling on your single speed, then Dark Helmet might have to add a little bit extra to keep things interesting.

akashra

Eats Squid
I plan on getting down there for this one IF the weather holds off. Last time I came down there for the Erica 3hr (4hr?) it bucketed rain and the trails were in horrible condition - myself and a couple of other riders stopped after the first lap because we were just doing so much damage to the trails in a single lap it didn't feel right to keep riding.

In the dry though it should be great.

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
I plan on getting down there for this one IF the weather holds off. Last time I came down there for the Erica 3hr (4hr?) it bucketed rain and the trails were in horrible condition - myself and a couple of other riders stopped after the first lap because we were just doing so much damage to the trails in a single lap it didn't feel right to keep riding.

In the dry though it should be great.
I think that was a 3hr that was shortened to a 2hr due to the conditions. It was dirty! Reminded me of some FTF winter series races in the wet years of the early '90s. I didn't race, just took some video - well video of the inside of mud blobs.

The trails actually came out of it OK. Bones was pretty new then and it was the worst and required a bit of re-benching. The older stuff rolled in with use and you would not know they had had that race. Made them very hard and compacted.

Hope to see you there, we have added a fair bit of trail since then.

dowey42

Likes Dirt
I think that was a 3hr that was shortened to a 2hr due to the conditions. It was dirty!
I tried to ride the week after that event...really should've checked the old brake pads, at least it made me stay of the brakes as I had none !!!

Not sure if I can make it yet, will hopefully because I missed riding the point to point earlier in the year.

Went for a ride around the track on Wednesday evening with Malte, 90% of the trails are in really good condition however another tree has fallen across the track, will get that cut off tonight. I have posted some video footage on You Tube as a preview of the race track for anyone who is interested. I did find it very difficult to edit 50mins of vid footage into a respectable length You Tube vid. check out the link below.

Fattrax, it's about time you hit the trails. I'm gonna head out for another ride tonight at 1600 if your keen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5UF_-qj6uU

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
I like the video.

I have been away but will be about by race day and I might cut a lap then. Hope you get a good turn out to show DEPI (DSE) the interest in the trails from riders.

Just got back from marking the track at Erica. Thought it might be a bit tame so I added some tech sections. The trails were damp but not wet, so if you were considering heading down we should be looking at a reasonably dry race if we don't get any further rain tonight. Fingers crossed.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How'd your race go Dark Helmet? Shame it was on the same day as ours. I would have loved to race at Erica.

akashra

Eats Squid
The trails were damp but not wet, so if you were considering heading down we should be looking at a reasonably dry race if we don't get any further rain tonight. Fingers crossed.
Hindsight: ahahahahahaha.

Only after I turned up and saw the wet conditions did I realise what tyres were on the bike I'd bought: A Crossmark on the rear and Aspen on the front. I was a complete passenger on some sections, and binned it once on the first lap. Myself and another rider had been riding together for the entire first lap passing handfuls of riders having started all the way at the back of the field, but after I binned it it was a verrrry lonely race considering there were less than 50 riders on a >10km course. After that point I think I saw maybe 6-8 other riders the whole race... wait, no, 4 of those were us passing each other back a few times ;)

While yes it was a fun course, IMO a shorter course would have been more entertaining given the number of riders on course. It certainly was drying out towards the end of the event.

softek

Likes Dirt
Went for a ride around the track on Wednesday evening with Malte, 90% of the trails are in really good condition however another tree has fallen across the track, will get that cut off tonight. I have posted some video footage on You Tube as a preview of the race track for anyone who is interested. I did find it very difficult to edit 50mins of vid footage into a respectable length You Tube vid. check out the link below.

Fattrax, it's about time you hit the trails. I'm gonna head out for another ride tonight at 1600 if your keen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5UF_-qj6uU
wow, this video is awesome, i couldnt make it but would try to make it next time

Fattrax

Likes Bikes
While yes it was a fun course, IMO a shorter course would have been more entertaining given the number of riders on course.
I agree. Next time, please bring about 200 of your mates. The format, and push for long courses comes from GMTB. Not necessarily Dark Helmet's or my preference, although this time we did want to run the new Silvertop Spur trail.

Stevob said:
How'd your race go Dark Helmet? Shame it was on the same day as ours. I would have loved to race at Erica.
Steve, drop us a pm if FTF ever want an event at Erica. I am sure we could come up with something entertaining.

Hindsight: ahahahahahaha.

Only after I turned up and saw the wet conditions did I realise what tyres were on the bike I'd bought: A Crossmark on the rear and Aspen on the front. I was a complete passenger on some sections, and binned it once on the first lap. Myself and another rider had been riding together for the entire first lap passing handfuls of riders having started all the way at the back of the field, but after I binned it it was a verrrry lonely race considering there were less than 50 riders on a >10km course. After that point I think I saw maybe 6-8 other riders the whole race... wait, no, 4 of those were us passing each other back a few times ;)

While yes it was a fun course, IMO a shorter course would have been more entertaining given the number of riders on course. It certainly was drying out towards the end of the event.
No way. I was riding around with Crossmarks front and rear without to much trouble. I would have considered it a reasonably dry track with a few wet areas and the red hill at the start of the lap was just pure entertainment :)

I do agree that it was a lonely old race, would have been good to see a few more riders on track. Glad you enjoyed the course though.

dowey42

Likes Dirt
I agree. Next time, please bring about 200 of your mates. The format, and push for long courses comes from GMTB.
I can't ever remember this being part of the race brief for those running races in the series. Up to local people as to what they think is best suited. If its better to run a shorter lap then do so. The hard thing is we just don't know how many will turn up to our races. They've ranged this year from 30 to 80 odd not including the VES.

I can also let you know the results of the members survey and what most of the members wanted. It's not so much the lap distance but the length of the race that members have asked for.