Runt/SD Components VS Coil

americo dias

Likes Bikes
Hi everyone,
I have recently purchased a new to me fork from one of the members here. I had been looking at the runt for my fox 34 and in the spirit of consistency am now looking at it for the Lyrik. Both those options are out of stock from DSD. I have a friend and fellow member who got in my ear singing the praises of his Z1 and coils. That got me looking at Push and Vorsprung.
Now, I have a couple of questions:
- Has anyone had both a runt, or similar, and then a coil? Which was best for the high speed runs?
- is SD components still in business? If so, how do you contact them?
- which is best between vorsprung and Push?

Thanks for your input.

fjohn860

Alice in diaperland
@fjohn860 - Have you had enough time on your franken-coil to compare to your self-made Runt?
I have had a good 4-5 rides on the franken-coil and I definitely think it is better than a runt. Not a shit-tonne better than the runt though as I think the runt is the closest an air spring can get to a linear coil setup.

However, since I'm no mega awesome trail smasher and I like a firmer setup I never bottom out (so take my opinion with a pinch of salt) BUT I think coil (providing you have the right spring rate) is better.

teK--

Eats Squid
Hi everyone,
I have recently purchased a new to me fork from one of the members here. I had been looking at the runt for my fox 34 and in the spirit of consistency am now looking at it for the Lyrik. Both those options are out of stock from DSD. I have a friend and fellow member who got in my ear singing the praises of his Z1 and coils. That got me looking at Push and Vorsprung.
Now, I have a couple of questions:
- Has anyone had both a runt, or similar, and then a coil? Which was best for the high speed runs?
- is SD components still in business? If so, how do you contact them?
- which is best between vorsprung and Push?

Thanks for your input.
Had a Runt in a Fox 36. Was good could get some crazy looking spring curves (super sensitive off the top, decent mid range, but then sharp ramp up)

Problem for me though is I was really just trying to get the fork more linear (light rider), and the Runt takes up space in the air chamber which is opposite of what I wanted to achieve.

After trying all sorts of configurations ended up with a Smashpot and couldn't be happier using it for every type of riding in all conditions. Then got a Fox 38 and transferred the Smashpot across.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Let's not oversell things now, shall we? :p

@fjohn860 - Have you had enough time on your franken-coil to compare to your self-made Runt?

@Jpez - did you end up coiling your Lyric?
Yep. And a custom tune. Leaps and bounds better than the stock fork but how much is the tune and how much is the SP I couldn’t tell you. No experience with a Runt though so can’t compare with that.

teK--

Eats Squid
P.s. have no experience with Push but when I was choosing, it wasn't hard to see the air based bottom out spring was a halfway house solution. Reports were the setting would wander as the fork heats up or large ambient temp changes. You need a shock pump to adjust it too.

Smashpot hydraulic bottom out much more consistent and it is toolless adjust if the temperature changes a lot through course of the ride, or if you are about to do a Huck that is much bigger than any other part of the ride.

teK--

Eats Squid
So the answer is coil of the vorsprung variety. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
If you are buying new, make sure you get the post-Dec2022 kit, which has the universal spring isolator. If you are buying second hand kit, you can buy the isolator kit separately from NSD for about $20.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Had an SD Components DVC on a Pike and it was a shit tonne better than a stock Pike for small bump compliance, and didn't blow through the travel like stock Pike did when I had it at a pressure that prevented me getting sore hands. I am a fat fucker though. SD Components as far as I am aware are out of business, not sure if they sold their design to DSD but it basically looks the same. I have a Z1 on one of my bikes now though, and it hands down the plushest fork I have ridden, even on long descents. I don't regularly ride Maydena double black levels of trail though.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Had an SD Components DVC on a Pike and it was a shit tonne better than a stock Pike for small bump compliance, and didn't blow through the travel like stock Pike did when I had it at a pressure that prevented me getting sore hands. I am a fat fucker though. SD Components as far as I am aware are out of business, not sure if they sold their design to DSD but it basically looks the same. I have a Z1 on one of my bikes now though, and it hands down the plushest fork I have ridden, even on long descents. I don't regularly ride Maydena double black levels of trail though.
SD sold to a big bike shop in Brissie, for the riders maybe?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Again thank you all for your responses. After a couple of visits to the vorsprung website I have purchased one of their systems with the 55lbs spring.
I'm about 100kg with gear so that's a good middle of the road starting point.
Now, what new bike can we convince you to buy to attach this wonderful new fork to? :p

creaky

XMAS Plumper
SD sold to a big bike shop in Brissie, for the riders maybe?

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
I think it was Big Mountain (@DMan knew I think) but they aren’t that big a shop I believe and stopped manufacturing them at some stage I believe. Not sure if the current status but I’d love another Runt or SD for my other fork.

Diaz’s stuff seems to be mostly out of stock which is weird. Maybe winding down?