Rockshox Springs question.

dj3

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so, new rig, new shock. its a vivid R2, which upon first impressions is pretty poor, but it is very oversprung for my at this time and i will eventually be upgrading to a elka/RC4 later on.

my question is, i heard that rockshox shocks only take the specific rockshox spring becasue of the body being wider and the internal diametre of other brand springs being too small etc. so can i use any old spring with this vivid when i got for a lower weight spring (fox, manitou etc.) or do i have to buy a specific rockshox spring.

chris95

Likes Dirt
hey mate I just changed springs on my vivid 5.1 and I also got told that you can only use rockshox springs for the same reason as you stated

T-Rex

Template denier
So the House of Rex recently had to fit a slightly heavier spring to a Vivid. In the Warehouse of bike parts we found exactly the right rate and length in a Fox spring, and guess what?

It didn't fit.

The Fox springs are slightly smaller diameter than the Rockshox spring.

An industry standard on spring diameters would be nice.....

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
So the House of Rex recently had to fit a slightly heavier spring to a Vivid. In the Warehouse of bike parts we found exactly the right rate and length in a Fox spring, and guess what?

It didn't fit.

The Fox springs are slightly smaller diameter than the Rockshox spring.

An industry standard on spring diameters would be nice.....
...But would reduce the ability of manufacturers to claim that their new reservoir design was groundbreaking, revolutionary and totally new - thus the new spring sizing!

- Joel

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
...But would reduce the ability of manufacturers to claim that their new reservoir design was groundbreaking, revolutionary and totally new - thus the new spring sizing!

- Joel
so really what your saying is they are money hungry fuckheads?

That guy

Likes Bikes
I have the exact same problem- upgraded from a DHX to Vivid thinking i'd just be able to swap over the springs. The diametre of the Fox spring is a bit to small :(.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
so really what your saying is they are money hungry fuckheads?
Not necessarily, but they have to make money, or two years from now their engineers will go somewhere else. Then where will the upcoming SRAM XIXI groupset come from?

- Joel