RockShox Recon Silver

The old mans 29er trance has a weird issue where if you push down on forks they compress only 1 inch of travel then seem to hit something instead of continuing through the travel stroke. The lockout seems to not work either. He normally rides it around the streets on a Sunday but does the oaks once a year and bike is a 2013 model so they have not had a hard life.. Although never been serviced before. I suspect the lockout/damper has issue but what should I check? :noidea:

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I had a Recon Silver of this vintage where the bolt on the bottom of the damper fell out into the bottom of the fork. So no lockout. The dead travel could be worse because they have been known to let go of their rod on the air side and this tends to bend them. That forks needs a stripping....

i suspected something along those lines... cheers. I might just get him some better forks. Any idea what size would the 2013 trance x 2 29er have for steer tube? Not sure if its overdrive or overdrive 2

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Sounds like something in the damper shaft has dislodged & the oil flow valve is stuck closed. A small amount of travel is normal in the "locked" position, so the slight compression is not likely to be of concern..