Roady Mechs

Silver Wahoo

Likes Dirt
Whats the deal on using a roady Mech on your DH rig

I need a rear mech and was wondering what the pros and cons of using a roady one where.

Cheers

fastrider gus

super huck
thet dont bounce around as much because the cage is so short and they have a strong spring.. they shift just as well and there isnt a hastle with strength with them.
they are usually a nice chrome too!
they just arent in the way as much.

phsyco Miko

Likes Dirt
fastrider gus said:
thet dont bounce around as much because the cage is so short and they have a strong spring.. they shift just as well and there isnt a hastle with strength with them.
they are usually a nice chrome too!
they just arent in the way as much.
i totally agree i use them on the dh rig.

just dont go lower then a 105

S.

ex offender
Aaaaand make sure you have enough chain, they can't cope with huge chain extensions like mtb mechs can.

Tom

Likes Bikes
Can't go bigger than 28 tooth rear cassette tho. Just get a mid-cage mtb one, they are still pretty short.

wombat

Lives in a hole
They're good, nice and cheap. Only real downfall is the limits they have in terms of cassette size, and limiting you to two rings, but on a downhill bike that shouldn't be a major issue.

NoeFFeX

Likes Bikes
I switched over to an Ultegra cassette and derailleur on my rig, from an XTR that I busted. The ultegra combo is awesome and I'll never go back. The shifts are so much crisper and the short cage derailleur was so easy to set up just using my eye to line it up. The only con I can think of is the lack of gear range now. The ultegra cassette is 12-27 while my old cassette was 11-34. I rarely used those low gears anyway, so I wasn't too phased, but it could be a problem for other riders. Definitely try it out, you won't be disappointed.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run an Ultegra with a 11-32 cassette without any problems at all. This crap about being limited to 27-28t in the back is just that.....crap.

Ryan

Radministrator
I ran a 105 for about a year until it died, purely my fault too as I was running too short a chain. It shifted like a dream though, I loved it while I had it.
But, why run a pedestrian Shimano roadie derailleur when you can just get the ultimate pimptastic campy record 9 speed. Sorry for being such a hopeless nerd, but Campy gear is dead sexy.

Hello everybody,

I've had a Sora roadie jobbie on the Orange for ages & it's sweet as, it is also the cheapest ($40) & shittiest looking deraileur I've ever seen (plastic & pressed steel) & looks like a can of beer in a case of wine fitted to the Orange but who gives a rats arse for $40.

See ya

Greg :p

wombat

Lives in a hole
ozvincent said:
Hello everybody,

I've had a Sora roadie jobbie on the Orange for ages & it's sweet as, it is also the cheapest ($40) & shittiest looking deraileur I've ever seen (plastic & pressed steel) & looks like a can of beer in a case of wine fitted to the Orange but who gives a rats arse for $40.

See ya

You dissing beer???

Silver Wahoo

Likes Dirt
I bought it before anyone had posted a reply, Thanks Lindsay. I could'nt wait shuttles where to be had... I only paid $140 anyways so it was'nt that expensive.

Cheers :D

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm running Dura-Ace mech and cassette on my DH rig.
12-25t cassette with a 38t chainring, perfect for freeriding, but for all out racing u mite wanna get a 40t or 42t chainring.

G

wombat said:
ozvincent said:
Hello everybody,

See ya

You dissing beer???
better not be :twisted: