Roadie wheelset recomendations......for a superclyde.

fatnold

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yet another roadie juant cut short on the weekend with broken spokes. i have a shimano R560 wheelset on the roadie and have broken non-drive side spokes on the rear on what is starting to seem like monotinous regularity. because they are 20 spoke wheels if only 1 goes the whole wheel goes boing and you are on the phone to support crew.
so, looking for suggestions for reasonable quality wheelset to suit a 105kg+ character.
looking for mid range cost........after all, it is only a roadie.

topher

Likes Dirt
Custom wheelset or your stock stuff like ksyriums etc?

105 hubs on open pro rims. Pretty sturdy wheelset as you can opt with more spokes i believe they make both in 32 spoke? correct me if im wrong. Or you can opt up with ultegra or dura ace hubs.

Not exactly sure on dollar figure for your budget as Mid Range may be top end for others.

DT SWISS 240s on open pro rims. This would be a super solid super quick wheelset!

Last edited:

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Must be the track racing bringing out all that power:D

I'll second 32H Mavic Open Pro's on Ultegra hubs.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
yet another roadie juant cut short on the weekend with broken spokes. i have a shimano R560 wheelset on the roadie and have broken non-drive side spokes on the rear on what is starting to seem like monotinous regularity. because they are 20 spoke wheels if only 1 goes the whole wheel goes boing and you are on the phone to support crew.
so, looking for suggestions for reasonable quality wheelset to suit a 105kg+ character.
looking for mid range cost........after all, it is only a roadie.
I'm using old style Ksyriums (the black ones, from when there was only the one pair) and while they're holding up under me (and you're a runt compared to me), I'd love to try some DT 240s laced to Open Pro's, or possibly even the new Hope Pro 3. Based on my past experiences with the Hope and DT hubs, as well as the reliability of the Mavic rims, I reckon It'd be a winner.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Pfft 105kgs. You call that superclyde? Try the wrong side of 135 you showpony.

I recently got a set of the Velocity Deep V wheels. Deep V rims, 32 butted spokes, sealed bearing hubs etc etc for $550 from memory. They aren't the lightest wheels going but they are as tough as nails and as still in true after a tough few months of Sydney commuting. Just one thing to watch though, they have an alloy freewheel so you wheel need a Ultegra or better cassette if you don't want to notch the freewheel, not that it makes a big difference.

If you want something a bit more flash I would go the 240s with Open Pros.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
I am hard on my wheels - being big (~120kg), unstylistic rider - so I had a new rear wheel built for me using DT Swiss R1.1 rim, Sapim spokes and 105 hub [which is identical to the Ultegra but much cheaper]. The rim was out of shape in two months from night riding and hitting the potholes. The rain is creating new potholes every day!

Interestingly at exactly the same time the LBS built a bike messenger an almost identical rear wheel but around a singlespeed hub, but that is still running dead straight. The dishing on 10 speed rear wheels absolutely weakens the wheel, despite the wheel builder and hub and rim makers accomodating the dishing.

The LBS in question is now importing some stronger rims straight from the manufacturer in Taiwan. I am dying for this new rim and some stronger spokes for the new rear wheel build because I am truing my rear once a week.
My new rims have arrived and the LBS have asked the perennial question: "Do I want to go some DT alpine 3 butted spokes or just stay straight gauge" - ie triple butted versus straight gauge.

Any advice fellow clydesdales?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
My new rims have arrived and the LBS have asked the perennial question: "Do I want to go some DT alpine 3 butted spokes or just stay straight gauge" - ie triple butted versus straight gauge.

Any advice fellow clydesdales?
Elvis reckons the Alpine 3s are the toughest spokes he's got, so I'd go with those.