Road tyres, how often do you replace them?

How often do you replace your tyres?

• Less than three months

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Three to six months

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Six to twelve months

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Twelve months plus

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
I was getting about three months out of my tyres courtesy of glass cutting the tyre carcass and causing the tube to be exposed (and many punctures thereafter).

I am now running Schwalbe Blizzards (as I turn 'round and look at my bike in the office). They have been excellent thus far. They have kevlar belting to resist punctures ('though glass still manages to cut its way through) and are 25 mm wide. I read and have been told by bigger riders that wider tyres are less prone to punctures, and have little affect on rolling resistance.

gustfront

Likes Dirt
My current road tyres have been on since Jan 2006 and do about 150 to 200km a week. They are looking like needing replacing pretty soon I expect. About 15,000km so far.

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I read and have been told by bigger riders that wider tyres are less prone to punctures, and have little affect on rolling resistance.
Seems logical enough, I can't imagine 2mm in diameter (probably .6mm in extra contact patch) would make a noticeable difference.

Because my current ones have done quite well (I estimate around 4000kms in 4 months without a single puncture - touch wood) I've bought another pair of Vredelstein 23's but I think if I find the right 25's I'll give them a go. the Vredelsteins were so cheap I couldn't say no.

Seems most people only get about about three to six months on 23's anyway and so far schwalbe tyres are getting good reviews, good info...

Gustfront - what tyres are they?

gustfront

Likes Dirt
I use Pro2Race 25mm and run them at 80 to 90psi. They are comfortable, grippy tyres and don't seem to roll any slower than 23s.

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
As stated in the title, how often do you replace your roadie tyres?

And once you've voted - what tyres do you use?

EDIT - maybe add how many kms you do per week to put some perspective on things...
My road ride is my commute to work - mileage ranges anywhere from 100km - 250km a week, depending on route taken, what's going on with work, weather etc.

I'm currently using the Specialized All Conditions Sport 700x28c and they've been OK. Check out the following link - http://26inches.com/topic.php?id=3453 - where I wrote a little 'test report'.

I have resorted to tyre liners to help prolong the wear and puncture resistance to some success but overall I would try something else before going back to these.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Not a seasoned roadie:p, but I ride every day. Id say once stuff starts to stick to the tyres, they are gone. You ride through gravel and it all gets stuck, or you ride through glass then its over and your tyres are infested with holes.
^^^ Quoted for truth. Once you get a flattened centre tread you're toast on a commuter bike. I rotate my tyres front to back every month (approx 250km a week) to wring the most life from them, and also go over my tyres with a pocket knife to flick out any trapped glass that hasn't managed to puncture me yet.