Road bike Virgin!!! keep blowing up the rubber!!!

iridedh

Likes Dirt
Hi there, i finally decided to face my friends, and let them all have a laugh, and bought myself a road bike!!!
still struggling with the positioning, the dam clips and etc!!! yes i have fell before even started riding!!!
but what i need help with is:
how to not pop my tire?
sounds easy but i currently ridden my bike 3 times and 3 tubes are gone!!!
i ride dh bikes, have never being on a roadie, probably to reckless. but i swear the last 2 times, i was just pedaling in the middle of the road, no rocks, holes, nothing!!!
what am i doing wrong?
I’m running 700c-23 with 100 PSI -failed, 110 PSI failed 120 Failed.
tire says 100-140 so i though anywhere in the middle would be safe!!!
by the way I’m 90kg.
any help appreciated as I’m very new to this road bike thing!!

Fifteen.Hundred

Likes Dirt
What brand of tyres?

I'm about your weight and have only had one flat in 2 years. I run 100-110 PSI without issue.

A few possibilities may be
- your choice of tyre, some are more puncture resistant than others
- the roads you ride on may be littered with debris
- you may have something lodged between your rim/tyre/tube causing the tube to puncture. An idea may be to remove the tyre and check to make sure nothing is in there. Check the rim tape too to make sure a spoke nipple isn't the culprit.

3 flats in 3 rides is a really bad run.

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
Front? Rear? Are you using tools to seat the tyre when you're putting them on? Could be a pinched tube. (i recently killed 2 tubes by pinching the tube using a park tyre lever and being careful. Dont use tools. It took 2 days at 110 psi to explode, thankfully not when I was riding) Spoke through rim tape? Perhaps you are a bit unlucky. Maybe try 25 mm on the back.

iridedh

Likes Dirt
Front? Rear? Are you using tools to seat the tyre when you're putting them on? Could be a pinched tube. (i recently killed 2 tubes by pinching the tube using a park tyre lever and being careful. Dont use tools. It took 2 days at 110 psi to explode, thankfully not when I was riding) Spoke through rim tape? Perhaps you are a bit unlucky. Maybe try 25 mm on the back.
always rear,
is a brand new bike, have not checked if any spokes are sticking out!! but they were all tight!!
i have changed many tyres in my life, but never road ones! but my tyres actually "explodes", i hear the noise!!! goes from full to flat in 1 sec!!! after 15km ride, so i dindt think of pinching!!
yes i must admit the roads arent the greatest,
maybe im just really unlucky.
but will check the spokes, makes sense.
thanks

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I reckon you might have a small shard of glass embedded in the tire that is poking into the tubes when under pressure. Run your finger around the inside of the tire to make sure there isn't anything sharp poking through. Also check the rim tape to make sure that it hasn't collapsed into any of the spoke holes causing sharp edges.

I've ridden for years with no flats and then had 3 or 4 in row, which is always caused by something dodgy piercing the tubes. Once the brakes had come out of alignment and were digging into the tire, which wore a hole through to the tube, which kept exploding...

Lanky Love

Likes Dirt
I agree with what has been said, thats very unusual, feel the inside of the tyre for anything sharp poking through, and also while its inflated check over the outside of the tyre to see if it has any bad cuts, or things on the surface that wont brush off.

Also I find that after heavy rain a lot of crap gets washed on to the road. Earlier this year we had lots here in Canberra, and our group was getting at least one flat (and up to 4) a ride. So keep and eye on the road surface and if you go over anything questionable just use your glove to brush anything off your tyre while your riding along (be careful though).

Brasco_Designs

Likes Dirt
As has been mentioned before it sounds like a pinch flat. Especially if the tyres are going 'bang', usually if its something in the tyre or debris on the road it will just go flat without a sound show. It may be worth checking the spokes, or double checking there is rim tape as a sharp edge on a spoke hole could do that same thing.

I have only had it happen a couple of times to me, but when a tube went bang it was always a pinch flat. Just make sure you don't use tools and be extra careful to ensure the tube is not caught. I like to roll the tyre over, both sides, with my thumbs an visually check.

Or you could switch to tubs?

dcrofty

Eats Squid
I reckon you might have a small shard of glass embedded in the tire that is poking into the tubes when under pressure. Run your finger around the inside of the tire to make sure there isn't anything sharp poking through. Also check the rim tape to make sure that it hasn't collapsed into any of the spoke holes causing sharp edges.

I've ridden for years with no flats and then had 3 or 4 in row, which is always caused by something dodgy piercing the tubes. Once the brakes had come out of alignment and were digging into the tire, which wore a hole through to the tube, which kept exploding...
This man speaks wisely. When you take your tube out, find out where the puncture is, then hold it back next to the tyre and start searching on the inside of the tyre at the point that corresponds to where the hole in the tube is.

Also the postion of the puncture on the tube itself sometimes points to the cause. On the outer section its usually debris coming throught the tyre and puncturing the tube, on the sides is often a pinchflat (and if there are 2 one on each side its pretty much guaranteed) and if the hole is on the inside I'd be thinking that a spoke hole is wearing on the tube.

iridedh

Likes Dirt
Many thanks to all you guys
tonight im coming home and will do exactly that!!!
check where the hole was, run my finger throw the tyre, check spokes and rim tape!!!
thanks!!

mattwilkinson

Likes Dirt
What tyres are you running on it? I suggest you buy some good tyres as they definately make a difference, A lot of people swear by Continental GP4000S or Michelin Pro 3's/4's