Risks associated with DH tracks?

black rider

Likes Dirt
Hey, I'm wondering if some Farkiners could take some time to help me out...

I'm doing some post-grad study in environmental conservation and landscape management (yeah, yeah, another do my homework for me thread...:rolleyes:), and as part of my assessment I need to complete a environmental risk assessment (ERA) on an existing local DH track (FYI, Channel 10 track on Mt Dandenong), with further consideration of the management implications for a legal track in the region.

What I need as part of the ERA process is a group of "experts" whose role is to brainstorm the potential hazards resulting from the track, as it currently exists, with no further management conditions being imposed (also pretend the track hasn't been closed off by Parks Vic ;)). This is where Farkin comes in. I'd like to undertake an informal mini ERA process using the members of Farkin as experts.

What I would like is for those willing to participate to do two things:

1. List any hazards you perceive resulting from the existence of a DH track. This includes all environmental, economic and social hazards that could result from the track – these don’t need to be likely to occur, step 2 will assess the likelihood. You don't need to know the track in question, generally any DH track should yield a similar set of hazards. But for the record, last time I looked, there are no large stunts, jumps, drops, etc.

1a. If you wish to, list any benefits of having said track.

2. Copy the survey sheet below into a new reply and score the hazards listed in terms of both likelihood and consequence, please try not to be too influenced by others’ opinions. You only need to fill out the likelihood for the injuries as the consequence has been used as the hazard descriptor.

I recognise that some sections will be difficult to accurately assess, especially the environmental impacts, as you won’t have the specific information available, but I’m really interested to see what comes out of the process. Use your best educated guess, or base it on a track you’re familiar with.

The ranking criteria for likelihood and consequence ranges from 1-5, where 1=rare / insignificant, and 5= almost certain / catastrophic, respectively. If you're undecided, you can use a range of values eg 3-4.

Likelihood / consequence scores:
1. rare / insignificant (no injury)
2. unlikely / minor (first aid)
3. possible / moderate (medical treatment)
4. likely / major (extensive injury)
5. almost certain / catastrophic (death)

It may help if you think along the lines of – what’s the likelihood of this occurring, and what’s the consequence if it does? For example, if you think there’s a small risk of collision with horses, you’d score the likelihood a 2 maybe 3, but you may perceive that such a collision could result in serious injury or death therefore you’d score it a 4 or 5 for consequence.

If you’ve read this far, thanks for reading, I hope it makes sense.

Well, I guess we'll see how this goes...

Farkin ERA survey form:

Have you ridden or do you have knowledge of the Channel 10 track?:

Expertise (choose any that are applicable):
•Target user group - mtb rider:
Trail advocate:
•Other recreational user (National Park, so non-motorised vehicles only) – eg horse rider, bush walker, etc:
•Environmental “expert” - ie manager / conservationist / knowledgeable:
•Other relevant (if so, please list):

Potential Hazards without any further management conditions in place:

-Injuries resulting from DH mtbing:
o Minor injury (up to and including broken bones, but not requiring ambulance attendance),
Likelihood:
Consequence: 2-3

o Serious injury (non-life threatening / disabling, require ambulance attendance),
Likelihood:
Consequence: 3-4

o Serious injury (life threatening or permanent disability),
Likelihood:
Consequence: 5

- changing environmental conditions resulting in hazard to riders:
o rain, wet track,
Likelihood:
Consequence:

o fallen trees,
Likelihood:
Consequence:

o dry track,
Likelihood:
Consequence:

-environmental impacts:
o soil impacts (erosion, land slip, rut formation, etc.):-
Likelihood:
Consequence:

o listed threatened species and communities impacts:-
Likelihood:
Consequence:

o flora impacts (eg terrestrial orchid populations, tree removal, etc):-
Likelihood:
Consequence:

o fauna impacts (noise, traffic, etc):-
Likelihood:
Consequence:

o weed invasion impacts (bike and rider acting as vectors, or via opportunistic colonisation of cleared areas ie. DH track):-
Likelihood:
Consequence:

-social impacts:
o land user conflicts (collisions, etc.):-
Likelihood:
Consequence:

o public nuisance (parking, shuttle road use, noise, hooliganism):-
Likelihood:
Consequence:

o increased fire hazard (eg smoking, parking in long grass.):-
Likelihood:
Consequence:

o further expansion of existing track network, informal trail building, track widening / line modification, etc:-
Likelihood:
Consequence:

mushroom

Likes Dirt
Farkin ERA survey form:

Have you ridden or do you have knowledge of the Channel 10 track?: Yes, ridden.

Rider

Potential Hazards – without any further management conditions in place:

o Minor injury (up to and including broken bones, but not requiring ambulance attendance),
Likelihood:4

o Serious injury (non-life threatening / disabling, require ambulance attendance),
Likelihood:3

Likelihood:2

o rain, wet track,
Likelihood:5
Consequence:2

o fallen trees,

o dry track,
Consequence:1

-environmental impacts:

o weed invasion impacts (bike and rider acting as vectors, or via opportunistic colonisation of cleared areas ie. DH track):-

-social impacts:
Consequence:4

Consequence:5

o further expansion of existing track network, informal trail building, track widening / line modification, etc:-
Consequence:3

----------------

I hope I understood the survey and answered properly. If you intend to this survey other (non-mtb) land users you probably should differentiate between 'Channel 10 Track' (marked fired trail) and the downhill mtb track located nearby.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you ridden or do you have knowledge of the Channel 10 track?: ridden, a lot.

Likelihood:1

o rain, wet track,
Consequence:1/2

o fallen trees,
Consequence:1/2

o dry track,

-environmental impacts:

Likelihood:1 - though i dont know if there is any threatened species, so its hardly worth me commenting on this.

Likelihood:1 - though i dont know if there is any threatened species, so its hardly worth me commenting on this.

-social impacts:
Likelihood:1 (in the areas DH track only, not shared)

Consequence:5

Consequence:2/3

---------------------

i think ch10 is a hard track to do this for, because it is illegal there was always little being done to address any issues of safety on track, environmental impact and the like. the top section is also one of the steepest sections of track ive ever ridden, and inherently will have problems with both safety and environmental impact, though the bottom sections are a different story and much more manageable.

positives for the track are hard to explain. like all developments for an individual user group, its hard to justify to people who wont use it why it should be there. like a skate park, its no good to the elderly neighbors of the area, but may still need to be developed because of the sheer amount of younger people in the area.

anyway... have fun with it...

black rider

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the responses guys. :)

i think ch10 is a hard track to do this for, because it is illegal there was always little being done to address any issues of safety on track, environmental impact and the like. the top section is also one of the steepest sections of track ive ever ridden, and inherently will have problems with both safety and environmental impact, though the bottom sections are a different story and much more manageable.

positives for the track are hard to explain. like all developments for an individual user group, its hard to justify to people who wont use it why it should be there. like a skate park, its no good to the elderly neighbors of the area, but may still need to be developed because of the sheer amount of younger people in the area.

anyway... have fun with it...

The intended aim of the process is more to do with highlighting and ranking those risks that need management controls in place, whether it be track maintenance, or re-routing sections. If the Channel 10 track presents a set of risks that cannot be managed, then my aim is to discuss these implications for a hypothetical legal track.

I agree, finding and selling benefits to non-riders is always going to be a problem. I just didn't want to present a report stating how bad a DH track is, which is what this type of ERA process tends to focus on. But, I do think that having a properly managed track may reduce illegally built trails in the area. Maybe.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good Luck

Farkin ERA survey form:

Have you ridden or do you have knowledge of the Channel 10 track?:
No and No

Likelihood: 3

Likelihood: 2

Likelihood: 1

o rain, wet track,
Consequence: 3

o fallen trees,
Consequence:2-4

o dry track,
Likelihood: 4
Consequence: 1

-environmental impacts:
Likelihood: 4
Consequence: 2

Consequence: 3

-social impacts:

Consequence: 1

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the responses guys. :)

The intended aim of the process is more to do with highlighting and ranking those risks that need management controls in place, whether it be track maintenance, or re-routing sections. If the Channel 10 track presents a set of risks that cannot be managed, then my aim is to discuss these implications for a hypothetical legal track.

I agree, finding and selling benefits to non-riders is always going to be a problem. I just didn't want to present a report stating how bad a DH track is, which is what this type of ERA process tends to focus on. But, I do think that having a properly managed track may reduce illegally built trails in the area. Maybe.
Yeah good on ya for doing it.

Some positives for legal dh track (and possible legal jumps down the bottom, where they currently turn a blind eye to the jumps built there thesedays)

-keep mountain bikes off fireroads with walkers. Bikes tend to be able to get a fair bit of speed on those fireroads, and it would be much safer for mountain bikes to have their own track to keep them from endangering other users and themselfs.

-give parksvic the chance to control the tracks. having no legal tracks means they have no input on where people ride in the park. for the safety of riders and other users, and for the environment, would be benificial to have parksvic managing tracks to ensure their safety and impact.

-An official track gives parksvic the chance to communicate with riders. for example, signs telling them how they should conduct themselfs. load up bikes onto cars at a specified spot, drive slowly to avoid dust, stop at trail intersections to check, etc....

i know, the last one was me clutching at straws for more positives...