Rim Dilemma

Karnage

Likes Dirt
Hey guys

I'm having a bit of a dilemma of what rims to choose for my bike. Im riding a hardtail dmr trailstar lt with lots of chromoly parts etc, and i basically ride everything on it. I kill lots of rims so now i've only got a few choices left.
Some of you might have heard my whinge on another topic on how long my trailpimps are taking but lets not go there again.

Basically ordered trailpimps, 8 weeks waiting already and probably more to come, so i'm considering cancelling the order

Im having a bit of trouble deciding what other rims to get. The ones i can basically think of are:
SMO's - Dun really like that, not that strong unless in motomojo style
Mavic 729s - Their ok, not bombproof
Intense Mag 30's - Nice rims, dont know how strong they are though
Modo's - Sun's **new** rim, look alot like double wides

Doesn't really matter now how much the rims cost, but i proly wouldn't like paying more than 150 per rim and i guess thats alredy stretching it, but i'll get discounts neway.

On the other hand i can import trailpimps myself or import maybe some arrow racing rims or halos or something..

Basically looking for rims that are bombproof, 32H, 26" look decent etc.

Any ideas guys?

brodes

Likes Dirt
go the mag 30's, really strong rim. much stronger than smos and 729'2 and lighter than a modo i think. def worth it

StormFire

Likes Dirt
i've got 729's on both my hardtail and downhill bike, and even though i'm a bit of a hack, they're still going strong on both bikes...so i definately recommend the 729's.

there's also the fact that i've bought them online both times for each of my bikes..buying two rims at once online works out to around $85 to $90 each delived to your door...i went through chainreactioncyles which i've had nothing but good experiences with...the last time i ordered rims i ordered them on a monday night and recieved them on the following friday morning all the way from the UK...and seeing as i live out in the sticks i thought that was a fair effort, so i'd definately recommend them to anyone.

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you are honestly looking for bombproof rims, get a HALO! i ride a HALO SAS 48 spoke 24" rear, and i've cased the shit outta this thing and it has the nothing than tiny lil buckle. any other rim would have snapped in half. unfortunately some ppl think these are heavy, but if you only want 32 hole then it shouldnt be too heavy. www.halorims.com is their site, look around at what you like, your local bike shop should be able to get one imported. i know mine was one of the best purchases i've ever made. otherwise, Mag 30's are pretty strong, or you could try MTX, i've seen lotsa ppl riding those?

lotec

Banned
get the mag30s, the sidewalls are stronger than trail pimps, they are welded join (trail pimp is only pinned) and they have eyelets, trail pimp doesnt. heavy though, but worth it! DO NOT get dice SMOs, shittest rims ever, sidewalls fold over if you fart in their direction and stupidly, STUPIDLY heavy for their strength...

MUGEN

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yep SMO's are heavy mofo's. But they've held up to a lot of misjudged jumping for the past few weeks and still dead straight. But because of the weight, i'd say its not worth it.
I' think mag30's are your best bet.

Mahoney_007

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ive got some MTX's on layby, they look the shznizzle and I was shocked at how light they are. I did some research on the net and there are very few bad comments on them. Plus I'm only 65kg so I dont need a big fat rim ala Mag 30 SMO ect

Cant give you any feedback on ride quality cause Im still paying them off :mad:

MUNGUS

Pro Rider
get some rims called Dirt Bags, the DH model. I have been running them for a bit now on my DH bike and they are awesome. same weight as a 321 but the sidewalls are a lot tougher. I havent really done n e thing to them yet and they have seen their fair share of abuse. Cycle Solutions are the distributor, should be easy as to get and althought i'm not sure on the price, they wouldnt be too expensive. Check em out

Karnage

Likes Dirt
Ok well i went against everyones advice and got the dhrs,
Ok so on the 2nd day riding them i put a huge flatspot in the rims, so im getting rid of them and back to the drawing board.

I cant get Classic Trailpimps and i cant use Halo SAS as they only come in a 48 hole or 36 hole version and i have 32hole hubs which i really like and want to keep.

Theres a chance i could get Halo Combats, but it'd be an expensive option, or my only other choices i can think of at the moment are any sun rims or mavic rims or dice. Mag30's vs the 729/721's. I can get doublewides but i heard the flatspot easy.

Btw im 16 and abt 65 kg but rims never tend to hold up. They are being built with Alpine 3's and Prolock 16mm nipples, same as the dhrs.

Also who are the best wheelbuilders in WA?

-DAvo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
justin, like i told you, i reckon some motomojos would do you ok..

if not maybe mag30...

either way your a wheel's worst nightmare :p

wheelbuilder wise... hiways do a pretty good job, as do SpinFX.

wtr

Likes Dirt
Karnage said:
16 and abt 65 kg but rims never tend to hold up. They are being built with Alpine 3's and Prolock 16mm nipples, same as the dhrs.
BTW, who built the DHRs and how did you flatspotted it??

I've used both 321s and trailpimps, and here's my finding:

*321(or ex729): light, anodised grey(more scratch resistant), strong if built properly, 6061 alu blended with semi-metallic compound, welded, eyelets included, and a bit pricy.

*Trailpimps:heavier, love their black & white look, taller sidewall, strong if built properly(they haven't fail me ever since they were on), 6061 alu, pinned, eyelets excluded, and cheaper than the 321s.

lotec

Banned
Karnage said:
Ok well i went against everyones advice and got the dhrs,
Ok so on the 2nd day riding them i put a huge flatspot in the rims, so im getting rid of them and back to the drawing board.

I cant get Classic Trailpimps and i cant use Halo SAS as they only come in a 48 hole or 36 hole version and i have 32hole hubs which i really like and want to keep.

Theres a chance i could get Halo Combats, but it'd be an expensive option, or my only other choices i can think of at the moment are any sun rims or mavic rims or dice. Mag30's vs the 729/721's. I can get doublewides but i heard the flatspot easy.

Btw im 16 and abt 65 kg but rims never tend to hold up. They are being built with Alpine 3's and Prolock 16mm nipples, same as the dhrs.

Also who are the best wheelbuilders in WA?
sorry, whats the point of this thread? you ask people for advice, heaps of people reply and then you go against what EVERYONE says? im gonna tell you to get trailpimps now because then you will probably go and get mag30s...

zstreetco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sides in the long run u'll end up only paying for the one HALO! rather than breaking crappier cheaper rims. and ye $60 is farkin cheap for such a sexc rim

Kona.S.P

Likes Dirt
I'd be hitting up a Mag30. Rode down the track on a flat and still not even a buckle. They are an awesome rim even though they are a bit on the heavy side compared to the 729.

lachy

Likes Dirt
the reason this guy flatspotted his rim was because quite frankly he is stupid lol, yes i am his friend but i still think he is stupid.

he aired out of a quater about 6 foot and landed front wheel first and then his rear wheel slammed down.

NO RIM WILL HOLD UP IF U ABUSE THEM LIKE IF U DROP OFF A SEA CONTAINER TO FLAT AND DONT EVEN TRY AND MAKE IT SMOOTH.

hahah your a funny one justin but seriously u do some stupid shit.

and wat is this i hear about halo rims being $60. who imports them.