Right Side Pedal insert coming off

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well im not very sure if it's coming off, but there is a slight play.
the threaded bit is slightly off and the little 0-looking thing is a bit out....

is that bad news?
cranks: butterfelts

|Matt|

Banned
well im not very sure if it's coming off, but there is a slight play.
the threaded bit is slightly off and the little 0-looking thing is a bit out....

is that bad news?
cranks: butterfelts
What year model are they? I'm guessing 05? 05 had a lot of trouble with the pedal inserts coming out.

If its definately not how its meant to be, you have a problem. I had three pairs of Hussefelts, two of which I did that to.

Sorry to tell you but your crank is fucked.

tu plang

knob
if its come out during riding there's a good chance the arm is farked now. the inserts are there in the first place because the material used for the arms is very soft. the inserts tend to come out when removing pedals but in that case can usually be bonded back in and the problem solved.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
stupid butterfelts.

would i be ablt to use some form of loctite or something else, because i really do not want to get another crankset.

and i have no idea what year they are

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
I have the 05's and when taking my pedals off, both sides, the pedal insert comes off still attached to the pedal thread. It doesnt really bother me as they dont come loose when riding ever but if I want to get new pedals or something I may have to use a loctite variant to secure the inserts back into cranks arms then try again.

|Matt|

Banned
I have the 05's and when taking my pedals off, both sides, the pedal insert comes off still attached to the pedal thread. It doesnt really bother me as they dont come loose when riding ever but if I want to get new pedals or something I may have to use a loctite variant to secure the inserts back into cranks arms then try again.
Consider yourself lucky. If you are able to do that, then the arm is still intact and the insert has just come out. I'm not sure, but you might be able to get a new insert put in...but I don't know.

Mine just ripped out with a nice piece of crank arm attached.

kizza01

Likes Dirt
Ok heres a possible solution that we have used at work.

Loctite the insert like a mofo with the hard stuff, i cant remember which one that was.

Once it has dried, get a couple of people holding the bike and cranks steady, then using a pedal spanner.... *BANG* snap down hard and get that friggen pedal loose. From then on be careful about how tight u put your pedal back in.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt

that's the one i use.

so any specific loctite? or just the normal red one?

kizza01

Likes Dirt

that's the one i use.

so any specific loctite? or just the normal red one?
It was the normal red one. The key to it is to snap down hard on the pedal spanner, otherwise you will just break the loctite.

Ingeniator

Likes Dirt
This is a common problem with Truvativ Hussefelts, and can usualy be solved, as said before, with a lot of locktite. Just remember, the inserts can not be replaced (or they werent able to be a while back), so be careful when asssembling/reassembling

tu plang

knob
another hot tip for removing pedals from butterfelts, is give them a short sharp torque in the tightening direction first. then the same in the opposite direction.

bransly

Likes Dirt
i also did this with my husselfelts a few days ago!!
my mate had the same expirience and says you can buy a new insert from your lbs.

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i would mine getting it done properly.
fidling with little pieces of metal without the right tools just gets me pissed and that usually ends the wrong way.

i'll enquire around

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did that to mine, ended up getting a new insert made up and a new thread tapped. I have been running it like that for 2 years. Also if theyre stuck on and you want to get your pedals off without damaging the insert thread, get a blowtorch and a wrench (use it on the flange on the inside of the insert), that worked for me.