Riding Dh with music

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys,
Did a quick search, and the only thread i could find was a few years old. and didn't cover what i needed so i thought i would make a new one.
Who here rides dh with music in? I was doing some solo runs today, and i tried to get my earphones to stay in my ear, but my full face wouldn't let that happen, although they were close enough to still be playing some music through for me to hear.
Firstly. what are people thoughts of riding Downhill with music in. obviously not at races due to the need to hear other riders and marshals.
Secondly, how do people manage to keep their earphones in when using the full face (taking it on and off)

I have seen a photo on Facebook, of someone who had earphones routed in their helmet and a small ipod shuffle stuck to their visor to stay there the whole time for ease of music. How would one go about that?

thanks

louestah

Likes Bikes
I've ridden with music plenty of times when i was on my own. I had the same problem with the buds coming out of my ears but i just either took my helmet off and tried again or just rode and didnt worry about it. I found it nice riding with music when im on my own and training but i wouldnt do it everytime, its nice sometimes to listen to nature

walkietalkie

Likes Dirt
......music is hearing nothing but you and the bike working in harmony(un-harmoniously in my case)

Anyways, take a look HERE. This may help with some ideas.

guitar1234

Likes Dirt
I've always ridden with headphones in and love it. But like you I got pissed off with the fact that they are never in the right place.

Soooooooo I butchered a pair of these which were broken mens-nixon-headphones-nixon-whip-mic-headphones.jpg And put them in the cavity in my helmet where there is just space.
IMG_9753.jpg
They work great, I haven't ridden with them yet, but they isolate your music due to the padding in the helmet, nobody else can hear it, and you can still hear them. I'll just buy a longer jack and run it off my iPhone in my pocket. An improvement on the system would be using Bluetooth headphones, like the kind you can buy on eBay, and using a shuffle placed somewhere safe, but this cost me nothing so meh.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I heard somewhere that the new dissident was meant to come with headphone compatible, whatever they meant by that I don't know.
Jam them up in the padding and make sure you have plenty of extra cord to stop pulling obviously. If you are desperate you could put some Velcro on the outside of the ear bud that way if it does slightly move from the ear it wont fall out completely.

crazy-man

Likes Dirt
My only music is the sound of the wind rushing past. And my tires rolling over dirt, rocks and branches. Music to my ears.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I heard somewhere that the new dissident was meant to come with headphone compatible, whatever they meant by that I don't know.
Jam them up in the padding and make sure you have plenty of extra cord to stop pulling obviously. If you are desperate you could put some Velcro on the outside of the ear bud that way if it does slightly move from the ear it wont fall out completely.
thats my helmet. and i just realized that have that feature. i will check it out, im not sure how it works though

edit: its just some flaps for headphones to sit behind, its actually a pretty good system. but the fact your earphones are stuck in your helmet may become annoying

Last edited:

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
I used to do most of my riding mid week cause I worked weekends, so I spent a lot of time riding with music. I found the small in ear buds the best, it just came down to working out the technique to getting the helmet on without dislodging the headphones. I would just grab the straps and pulled them as wide as possible and sliding the helmet on at a 45 degree angle from the front(if that makes sense). Did lots of pushies, so had heaps of practice :):)

Also tried the buds with the wrap around thingy round the ears. They were good in keeping them secure, but cause the buds were sideways and they were more bulky, the helmet would press them into your head, which sometimes was uncomfortable.

matt24

Likes Dirt
Not one person claiming how dangerous it is yet. Give it time the self righteous will find this thread soon lol

driftking

Wheel size expert
Not one person claiming how dangerous it is yet. Give it time the self righteous will find this thread soon lol

I almost did put that side in but most of us know how dangerous it may be, I opted against I though as the OP was referring to riding alone. With other people on the trail it's different. Of course the op never said he was using both at once ;).

In perspective a little bit or music isn't anywhere near as dangerous as the trails we are riding and alone it's no drama.

Last edited:

cooki_monsta

Likes Dirt
When doing push runs on my own I use skull candy in ear buds. They stick inti my ears and with a little tilt on the full face they are perfect.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My helmet positions the earphones away from the ear, so other noises do get through. with my ipod on full sound. i could still have a conversation with my brother.
smart system i think.

I find music is off putting when riding something technical.
I think it helps me find my groove a bit more, it makes me get into the flow of the trail more. I agree though, sometimes when trying to hit something technical full bore, i can find it off putting. BUT. when im riding alone, i dont go full bore, as there is no one there to help me if things end badly. and when im usually trying to ride my fastest, I will be with friends or there will be others at the track. and therefore no music. maybe at most a little background music, but i have never done that.

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
My helmet positions the earphones away from the ear, so other noises do get through. with my ipod on full sound. i could still have a conversation with my brother.
smart system i think.

I think it helps me find my groove a bit more, it makes me get into the flow of the trail more. I agree though, sometimes when trying to hit something technical full bore, i can find it off putting. BUT. when im riding alone, i dont go full bore, as there is no one there to help me if things end badly. and when im usually trying to ride my fastest, I will be with friends or there will be others at the track. and therefore no music. maybe at most a little background music, but i have never done that.
I think it depends on what type of rider you are, music tends to chill you out and help you zone out, if you are a over thinker or starting getting too tense and focused you make mistakes so it can help those, on the other hand if you ride better with more tension you probably find music more distracting than helpful.
I can feel this when I ride myself, at the start im rusty than as I warm up and get in the right head space its all good, and slowly ill find myself getting too tense and too focused and I start making mistakes.

rider124

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it depends on what type of rider you are, music tends to chill you out and help you zone out, if you are a over thinker or starting getting too tense and focused you make mistakes so it can help those, on the other hand if you ride better with more tension you probably find music more distracting than helpful.
I can feel this when I ride myself, at the start im rusty than as I warm up and get in the right head space its all good, and slowly ill find myself getting too tense and too focused and I start making mistakes.
I also find in the few times i have listened to music. the song or the genre i listen to, will impact my run.
E.g. Fast paced music for me puts me in the mood to hammer out a run as quick as possible (such as Drum and bass)
or a more fun and relaxing song will see me cruising down the course doing the biggest whip or skid as possible.