Rider height for 2013 - 2015 Santacruz solo/5010?

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm looking at adding a playful short travel bike to my stable and have found a very good deal on a 2014/15 Santacruz 5010 frame in a medium size. I'm 180cm (5'11") and usually ride a medium frame, although my latest bike (Norco Range) is a Large, but it has a short reach for a large. The reach on the 5010 on that year model is 403mm, which seems quite short and I notice that they've made it longer for the latest version.

The reach on my last bike (Medium S Works Enduro) was 421mm and the Norco is 433mm, so would 403mm be just too short? The reason I'm not really sure is that I've read that with shorter travel bikes you can get away with a shorter reach.

To any 2013 - 2015 Santacruz 5010 owners, what size are you riding?

There are also a couple of large size frames available, but quite a bit more expensive.

Also open to other options for a 120 - 130mm travel frame, but I do like the geometry of the SC and that video with Steve Peat riding one in the Scottish highlands makes it look like a very fun bike!

Psimpson7

Likes Dirt
My wife now has a medium 2015 5010.

She is 5'8" and it seems ok for her, although we are going to go back to a 50mm stem as opposed to a 30mm that is on it at the moment.

I rode it around the house the other day and it felt tiny! I am also 5'8" There is no way I could ride it comfortably

I would say you would absolutely have to test one. I felt that even I would need a large.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Mines a Bronson but rode nehew's 5010. Both large. I am 182cm. I think a medium will be too small for you as SC frames are at the smaller end of the spectrum.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like I'll have to spend a bit more cash on the Large size frame, which has a reach of 426mm. Medium is going for $1500, large is $2,200, both are in similar condition. Bugger.

Juz1970

Likes Bikes
I just sold a Large SOLO (2013) frame and for the exact reason that I was too tall for it at 6ft 1. I have a longer torso/reach and as others have mentioned here the V1 frames were on the short side;i kept feeling like i was going to go OTB. Swapped it for a Bronson V2 frame in Large and it fits perfectly - owing for the fact that frame is not only longer but also a bit slacker too.
So long story short, would definitely go a large if i was 5'11 not a medium, then you can play with stem lengths, etc. Good luck!
Cheers,
JW

Austen

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely a large, I'm 172cm and would ride large in that older style Santa Cruz geo

mcoccia

Likes Dirt
I'm about 5'10" and over the years have had a few medium SC bikes which were great. I then bought a medium Blur LT Carbon which I found to be a bit small and eventually sold it and bought a large.

I understand that SC have increased the he size of their bikes but I again went large with my current ride a 2016 5010. Glad I did and at 5' 11" I'd say that large is the way to go.