Ride out wreck…

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Kids were made tough back then. Although if you can see bone, might have been worth a visit to ED, you werent a winger I am betting.
At least he got a gp visit. When I faceplanted the bitchie, after my cousin tried to Huck a gutter while dinking me on the bars, mum slapped me for bleeding on the new lino. After she calmed down, she did apply a damp face washer to my shattered nose and shredded lips.

Ahhh......damp face washers, the cure all for every 80s injury, from skinned knees to severed digits.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Recently I suddenly snapped my Truvativ alloy handlebar parallel w the stem.
Surprised me a bit when it came off in my hand compressing off a log roll.
Obviously i stacked.Walked out the singletrack but was able to ride one handed back on firetrail.
It must have been cracked /stressed from a previous misadventure.
I remember seeing Chris Jongewaard break a carbon bar in a race get out an allen key then just slide it along + retighten the stem so he could hang on w 2 hands.

Last edited:

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
When I was about 12 I was riding along the foot path on my Raleigh 20 when a car pulled out of a drive way.
I nailed the car dead on the right hand front wheel and bounced off the bonnet on to the path on the otherside of the car. I was stunned but unhurt as was the car but when I went to ride off on the bike the steering felt all funny, on closer inspection the forks had bent, not enough for the wheel to hit the down tube, but enough to screw either the head set or steerer and jamb the steering.
The bike was a bitch to ride, it just did not want to go in a straight line. I put up with it for a month or so to afraid to tell Mum as [of course] riding on the footpath was banned.
I have no idea what actually happened to that bike.
Then again I always hated the bloody thing even from brand new

noddy

Likes Dirt
Snapped the arch on my Boxxer attempting one of the more stupid lines at gravitate last year. second run of the day so I was'nt bailing that early, rode the rest of the day with the snapped arch.

Years ago out on a full day explore down into valley behind Buller I snapped the brake-side chainstay clean through (200mm from the main/lower pivot). Pair of the yellow Michelin tyre leavers either side of the snapped stay & our combined collection of cable ties (circa 12 of them) & I was able to ride the 2.5hrs back up to Corn Hill & down to the Buller village- universe delivered me a massive Get Out of Jail Free card that day.

John U

MTB Precision
Similar story to yours, tacoed a CB front wheel at buller in the rain and hail, stomped it a few times so that it wasnt locked up against the forks and rode it out. Rubbing on the forks so much that at the bottom the lowers had a groove worn in them, but it was worth it.
I thought I'd watched the clip of that stack Shredden. Wasn't it quite close to the top? Did you taco more than 1 cb front wheel.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Snapped the rear triangle on a giant warp once at majura and coasted out on it, ill try and find pics.

will2

Likes Dirt
Back in the day before everyone got super pissy about riding in the rain, we headed out the Youies one wet day and went for a play in the puddles. Wet to the point where t-shirts got soaked and it was warmer to ride without, haha.

Just as we got to pretty much to opposite side of the park, we heard a loud snap followed by a lot of swearing.
One of the boys had snapped his seat off his carbon post somehow. Plan A was pull the post out and slam the seat onto the toptube except sooomeone had forgot to put carbon grease on their post resulting in a very stuck seatpost.

In the end, we had a spare tube and he ended up riding another 15km like this.

View attachment 314316

He loved it and was way too stoked on our solution considering what his current situation was, haha.

A few of us had to jump on it* ;)

Fuck that was a funny day.
The valve is the correct position for a pleasant surprise. Ooooop!

Jake K

Likes Dirt
Oh boy! Finally a thread I can reply to.

Went riding in Rotorua last year. First day there on a week long trip, 2nd run down the Corridor jump track. Boosted one of the kickers a little too much and landed hard. Snapped the shaft on my CCDB shock. Wedged a nearby block of wood between the seat stay arch and seat tube and rode to the bottom of the forest! By pure stroke of luck I'd also packed my spare shock, so after a quick trip back to the accommodation I was back riding.

Attachments

Buntley

Likes Dirt
Could also be an entry in Confessions from the FWs.

When I was a young fella a decided whilst going down a reasonably steep track that I could in fact steer with my feet, all was going well until I lost balance...I fell one way, the bike the other.

Bracing for the impending pain, lucky for me my arse landed perfectly on the side of the seat, my feet landed on the goose neck and fork.

Once I got over the initial shock, and realised that I had avoided serious injury, I enjoyed a 10 metre ride as I slide down the hill riding my bike like a toboggan!