ride 'n race

Icky

Squid
Hi all,

I know a lot of you have been riding for a while and some of you have been racing for as long as too. That being said, there seems to be a bit of a lapse in DH racing when it comes to women and I was wondering if you could provde some insight:

1. What species do you ride DH on (XC, AM, FR, Full on DH rig)
2. What type of riding do you enjoy the most (no big nuts stuff here - am after honest answers)
3. Do you race? if so -why? if not - why not?
4. What do you think clubs could do to encourage more girl participants in races?

I'll go first:

1. I ride DH on a Kona Stab Supreme
2. I love technical corner-ey tracks with fast jumps (not so much big-uns)
3. I have raced only a few times and get a bit intimidated by my own nerves -I psyc myself out a bit.
4. I would like to see clubs have DH ride days for girls as well as better communication on websites about track setting (e.g., what the track is like) and that girls are not only welcomed, but encouraged???!!!

Your thoughts?

Rabbit9

Squid
Hey Icky,

I race DH on my trust steed, Santa Cruz Bullit (soon to be a new Commencal), I have just brought a XC bike so hope to get out on the local tracks during the week to keep up the fitness. My fav tracks have lots of rocks, fast flowy corners, and jumps (no super big ones). I have races DH for 2 years. It’s the best fun ever. When I first started out I was very intimidated by all the fast guys, especially when I was riding down the track and they would race up behind me and almost knock me over.
In Victoria there are a handful of girls that race DH, which I think is a lot more compared with 1 or 2 that ride in other states. We are always scouting out to find more girls to ride with so we can have more fun. A lot of the tracks in Vic do put some girls off as the tracks are very technical and rocky.
Trace Whittaker is really keen to start getting some girls riding weekends happening and even looking at skill days just for girls. We have been trying to work out the best possible approach of how to encourage more girls to start riding, as it might look scary to ride DH but as you know, its great fun and very rewarding. There is nothing better than the feeling of accomplishment after you have done your first drop or jump.

tracywhittaker

Likes Bikes
Well said Rabbit9.

I too have been racing for over a year now, and really enjoying myself.
The good thing about the Vic DH State Series is we have approximately five girls racing (on a good day!), and we all stick together, disgussing lines, encouraging eachother over obsticals etc.

Where are you located Icky?

C-C

Squid
1. Currenty racing Commencal Skin 1 (also own a Giant Anthem and a road bike)
2. Love the long epics in the wilderness.
3. Have been racing XC for a couple of years and love it!
4. Last year LMBC (our local club) held a girls only ride, it was a great success. We are going to run two this season, with a short skills session on the track the weekend before the race.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
1. I raced DH on a Giant AC1 (of 2001 vintage).

This had 5 inches at front and 6 at rear. I wanted more, but I didn't purchase a new bike as I was not riding DH enough to warrant buying a new bike with more suspension.

I'd like to get back into it, but now I am supporting my long term bf through uni I can afford to kill my current bike (Giant Cypher). When my investment matures (i.e. he gets a job) I will probably by a 7 incher. I think 8 may be too excessive and at least you could kind of ride a 7 inch bike on a cross country ride

My ideal DH rig would be to have lots of suspension, which doesn't bob when riding up hills (or on the flat), a seat post that goes all the way up and down (Giants often put an annoying bend in the frame) and XC lightness and women's geometry. One day this dream bike will be created and purchasable for under $3k ;)

2. I like all trails except for... a) sandy trails. yuck! b) loose rock trails - but they are better than sand c) fire trails. Boring! Unless they have berms, which few do d) massive hucks and jumps - I am not quite up to slope style yet. Perhaps with a bike with bigger suspension....

3. I have so been there too! The Central Coast race guys were awesome though. If you ask the race organisers nicely they will put you last or first so that there is a bigger gap between you and the next person to race - so they don't catch up and you feel less pressured. It is really better for everyone.

4. Not finding many girls to ride DH with, I just went to races and out with my bf's mates*. I never felt discouraged and was always welcomed. However it was hard to push one's self to do bigger stuff when riding with the guys - you need other girls to do this. For me it was because the guys are so far better than me that there was no real reason to try - no competition. But when I see another girl do a trick, I think "Well she can do it, maybe I can do it too".

I would love it if there were DH days for novices (not just girls, but that would be cool too!). DH'ing is definately something you want to do with other people, just in case of an emergency. But during race days the other guys go so fast (compared to me anyway) on the practice runs you don't feel like you can practice sections

*Actually I did see other girls riding DH but I always felt shy about talking to them - they often rode much harder and I always felt like a lame-o fraud - why would they want to ride with me? All in my own head I'm sure.

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
It is interesting to hear there are a few more girls racing in Victoria :)

I used to race (in Vic) back 2003/4 and did a couple of seasons but there were never more than 2 or 3 girls at races. My hubby and I were very involved in racing in Vic from an organisational point of view with FTF. I stopped after a nasty stack at Mt Beauty as I was off the bike for a year (and writing off my bike didn't help either!).

Can I ask generally what the ages are of the girls that are riding DH in Vic these days? I would love to get back into it (not on any sort of serious level but just for fun - ride days etc) but I am beginning to feel a bit old and very unfit :) to be starting out again.

Have been doing a bit of BMX on and off for the last couple of years but I feel sorry for my mtb which is stuck in thegarage - it doesn't get much use as it is not ideal for xc and I never get into the hills in part due to time and part due to lack of company (my hubby rides but doesn't like technical or really steep dh and my daughter is great at xc but still a bit little for dh (she climbs hills like a roadie though whichi s a bit of a worry)

If you do get any sort of girls ride day or anything going I'd love to hear :)

Cindie

jill

Likes Bikes
1. Kona Stinky primo 2004 (old - like me, but it's been a good beginners DH bike for me) One day I'll get a new DH bike,and a XC bike.
2. Anything on dirt, but I'm not keen on big jumps or drops - which is mostly just a case of needing to increase skills and confidence. Hate being close to traffic on roads.
3. Do I race? You bet!! Only DH as that's my only bike. Last year was my first full season of state level racing.
4. Always offer a race category for girls. Include age groups if there are more than a handful of females. It a great encouragement if girls can get on to the podium regularly. Let the girls go first or last with extra time in between. My club used 'ghost riders' in the start list before me to give me more time. Skills days for girls only would be good and by 'girls' I mean any female of any age. I'm almost 48 and only discovered mountain bikes at the age of 45. You're never too old to start something new, or get back into it, so don't let anyone make you feel that way.

:) Mtbing is soooooo much FUN!!

Ragged_Angel

Likes Bikes
1. I ride a Transition Syren... I started out on a Norco Six 3......

2. I enjoy all downhill tracks that dont have huge jumps... i cant jump for crapola!

3. Completed my first race at the end of last season, it was ok.... Most people were helpful and kind... but there were a few young teenage boys that enjoyed making me feel like a bit of a loser and a try hard. So im not all that super keen to race again.... and i felt that if you didnt have all the 'cool' gear you were singled out... Anyway that was just one persons experience!!!! Im sure its super cool for others... and im sure if i had really good girlfriends and we stuck together on race day it would make it great fun...

4. The more girls they get to races the easier it will be...... :D

Oh... and im 26... from Victoria.... :) mtbdh_girl - You wouldnt happen to race at Park Orchards would you????

swanny

Likes Dirt
Hey there MTB chicks,

The only thing that i can say for MTB racing is that if your thinking about getting into it, you wont be disapointed. The sport in general is one of the most friendly, and relaxed atmospheres you can get. There is some competitiveness, between some of the top guys, and sometimes more with a few girls, but even then, everybody is just out to have fun. No one is racing for sheep stations.
To be honest, it seems that women face the same cautions and intimidation as a lot of the guys that think about competing, its just that there seem to be a lot more guys interested in the first place. I spend every day explaining to men, women, kids and parents that MTB racing is for them, and that really, its no different to just riding your bike, just with more people. Just remember, racing should never be any different to riding on any day of the week. You should not be there to ride outside your limits, you should ride and race at the same speed, the only diffenrence is you get a time at the end, and maybe a good result. But if you dont get a good result, nobody cares, (maybe only you), and everybody is just happy that you had fun. And this attitude is really all the same for the Elite Men.
Also, if you are worried about faster riders being held up, dont be. There are plenty of fast people and there are heaps of slow people. just understand a bit about track etiquette and move over when its safe, but everybody has the same right to be on the track. And if somebody is rude to you about this, tell them to chill out and stop being a dick!! Remember, no sheep stations here...........
So, come on girls, get out there, have a go, introduce yourself to heaps of cool people, watch and learn of the good riders, ask lots of advice, the good riders enjoy feeling like they can teach you something. If anything, the girls that are already racing are VERY encouraging to new girls, more so than the guys, so dont be scared.
If your slow, who cares....
If you crash, nobody laughs........
If you come last, whatever........
If you get in the way, your not...........
If you feel like a dick, then we all are...........
If you dont have the best stuff, weve all been there, and thats half the fun.....
If you have fun, keep coming back!!!!!
MTB racing is for EVERYONE, get into it!!!
Get in touch with Tracy Whittaker, she can help you get started, and keep your ears open for plenty of Womens specific DH training days.

Sorry for the novel.

Matt.

swanny

Likes Dirt
And by the way, the Vic DH series is about to start and there will be a FUN WOMEN category, and this is purely for beginner women. You can take as long as you like to get down the hill, walking if you like. The Eildon track is a great beginners track, and there will be plenty of people to help you out. Come and chat to me or Tracy at any race and we can help you out.

Check out www.vicseries.com for more info or email us at the shop, we can help you with all your racing questions.

You are guaranteed to have fun, and get dirty and probably fall off, but you wont regret it. Its a great weekend of fun!!!!

We just want to see more new riders of any gender...........

Matt.

inlina

Likes Dirt
:p Sorry posted under hubbys login :) Have reposted below after re-logging myself back in

Last edited:

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
Oh... and im 26... from Victoria.... :) mtbdh_girl - You wouldnt happen to race at Park Orchards would you????
hi Yes i am from PO :) How did you know?

i havent raced there for about 6-7 months though...I also run the canteen there :p Although I did get back on the bmx for the first time in ages on tuesday night - i forgot how good being on a bike feels :)

Ragged_Angel

Likes Bikes
My BF races at PO when they have the mountain bike 4X class...Last weekend of the month (?).

I havent met you. but i heard from someone that you used to race DH... and anyway it all clicked...

Im thinking about racing at PO... but i always seem to be working!
Damnit!

Carmen x

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
Oh ok. let me know if you are ever not working and plan on joining the 4x class :) - I might have to dust off the mtb!!! yes we do have the 4x class on the 4th weekend of the month - turnout varies a fair bit though - it would be good to see more mtbs turn up :)

Cindie

Hi, I ride a Transition Syren also - so does my friend, she got one after I did, after she rode it through the trees at the bottom of Thredbo, it's so flickable around the corners, just a wicked little bike! Then she jumped a gap, and though I'd been watching the boys do it for 2 years, I suddenly decided that if she could do it, I could do it too, and it's been like that over the last two months, me trying a bigger drop, then her... it's really cool.

I haven't raced but keep thinking about it ... I have two main reservations
1 - I ride to have fun, and to do lots of riding ... and think it might be a riding day wasted if you only get a couple of practice runs and a race run.
2 - I might get caught up with the competitive nature of racing, go a bit harder than I otherwise would and mess up and land with my head in a tree.

I love technical rocky chutes, twisty corners, i lOOVe berms!!!
Just spent two weeks riding in the Swiss Alps, it was absolutely amazing. The steepness, roots and the sheer length of the descents is just mindblowing to any of us from the flat land.
...could have done without the cow sh_t in my mouth though!

tracywhittaker

Likes Bikes
Hi All

Check out www.vicdhseries.com for up-coming Victorian DH State Series.

Ragged Angel - That's up to you!
You can always start in the Fun class, and then change to Elite later?
I'll be there if you would like to ddo some runs together and discuss lines.
There's a few other newbies coming along as wel...yay!

Chat soon.
T-race

Rinn

Cannon Fodder
It awesome to find other girls having a go! I am really keen to meet some girls riding DH / 4X in the brissy area.. I'm really jealous of the Victorian girls right now!

1. I ride a Gitane Rocks T1 HT frame with custom specs for XC training and racing and I have a Craftworks FRM125 for DH/ freeride stuff. I got the crafty to try DH on to see if I liked that style before i forked out money on 'better bike' (thinking a commencal meta 6 - anyone ride one?)

2. I love flowy stuff with little drops and jumps - I want to learn to jump well but so far I haven't had much success. I really enjoy technical stuff that you have to pick your way through too.

3. I have been racing XC enduros in teams and solo for about 3-4 years and I love it. 12hr solos are my fav. I'm about to do a 65k marathon in 3 weeks but I'm not sure I will deal with the hills too much (no single track on the course!!)

4. I've done a few girls only XC skills days which one was crap (male instructor) and the other was awesome (with Naomi Hansen) but I would love to find some girls to downhill with etc. I have toyed with the idea of entering a DH race but I'm a little nervous that i haven't built up enough skills...

:)

tracywhittaker

Likes Bikes
Hey Rinn

If your ever in Vic and have your DH rig, let us know.
We can hook up for some riding.

I'm sure there's other girls riding DH near you?
Check in with your local bike shop.

Trace