Reverb or not to Reverb? Alternative?

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
My Reverb has finally died after a decent amount of use.

Basically the shaft has worn and pretty expensive to repair.

What other options are out there. Lots of different options but they all seem to suffer to some degree with wear and tear, Is anything actually better than the reverb for reliability?

I know they are expensive and need a service every 12 months but similar stories seem to occur with all the brands.

Even had a shop selling the KS posts say he would stay with Reverb for simple predictability.

Thoughts?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
The most reliable is the gravity dropper - going by forum reliability and rep.

Simple to rebuild, parts are cheap, ugly as your mother in law.

moorey

call me Mia
KS are as good as fool proof, and if you buy locally, Al at Pushie will look after you if you have any issues. I have 5 KS droppers, all work day in day out even after 3 years and 15,000km on the oldest one.

scblack

Leucocholic
KS are as good as fool proof, and if you buy locally, Al at Pushie will look after you if you have any issues. I have 5 KS droppers, all work day in day out even after 3 years and 15,000km on the oldest one.
Agreed, Al is very responsive and looks after his product well.

ChopSticks

Banned
Even had a shop selling the KS posts say he would stay with Reverb for simple predictability.
Thoughts?
interesting........

The most reliable is the gravity dropper - going by forum reliability and rep.
Gravity dropper would be tops for reliability because it is so rudimental.

+1 for the KS (only because of static cable)

Worth looking at Thomson... i believe they have a 2 year service free warranty (not sure if its still applicable)

edit: stay away from the fox DOSS..... bloody heavy and the remote is a joke

Quintin

Eats Squid
compleeeetely agree. ive had 3 KS's and they are incredibly reliable. feel fantastic, lock solid and never slipped. i have also found the LEV to be cheaper than the reverb at Jenson or Arts Cyclery with 2 day shipping.

all the Rockshox i have seen have slipped or had a shitty feeling drop or had a wonky button.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
.....I have a LEV I want to offload.....

Not cause it's not good, just cause I don't have a bike it fits any more.
Have used Reverbs and LEV and I would pick a LEV again

Wombatone

Likes Dirt
Used both Reverb and KS and would go with KS anytime.
More responsive and better feel not to mention a much better trigger which integrates fully into ODI grips.

Gripo

Eats Squid
Aahhh, looking at a dropper to complete a build....several options and near as many issues with all.....also gram counting?

Considering a Thomson Covert (available late May) or just go a Reverb Stealth....

The Reverb Stealth or wait?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Anyone purchased a LEV recently from Aus, what are he hey going for?
I ordered one just before X-Mas for about $380 from MountainBikesDirect.
That was with a discount code, though.

They're currently $428, which is one of, if not the cheapest price I've seen locally.

Also, +1 for LEV. No dramas here so far... though the remote pisses me off.
Quite uncomfortable to use. I was going to get some twin XT shifters and use the left one for the dropper, but then I saw that fancy new KS remote prototype so I'm waiting for more info on that.
Might be better than spending $100 when I don't really need to. :)

mojomodo

Likes Bikes
I ordered one just before X-Mas for about $380 from MountainBikesDirect.
That was with a discount code, though.

They're currently $428, which is one of, if not the cheapest price I've seen locally.

Also, +1 for LEV. No dramas here so far... though the remote pisses me off.
Quite uncomfortable to use. I was going to get some twin XT shifters and use the left one for the dropper, but then I saw that fancy new KS remote prototype so I'm waiting for more info on that.
Might be better than spending $100 when I don't really need to. :)
Got anymore info on the new KS remote?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Got anymore info on the new KS remote?
Only info I really have is an image, sadly!
I think it looks a smidge long, but it's hard to say without seeing it in person.

You might be able to dig up some info if you Google something like KS prototype remote, or something along those lines.