Replacment Shimano Freewheel

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
My Deore XT 765 rear freehub has cried enough and is in need of replacement.

The rear hub is a standard 10mm steel hollow axle rear. Looking at the shimano techdocs website it gives the part number of the freehweel. If I look at a lower level, such as LX, it gives a different part number. Question is, excluding new alloy rear axle variants and road freewheels, is a 9 speed shimano freewheel a 9 speed shimano freewheel. Dont really care about weight, just want it to fot and not give me any grief.

tomli123001

Likes Dirt
Just search on Chainreactions.com and all the parts will come up for shimano freehub body.
Usually, it is only a few dollars more getting a new Shimano hub than the freehub body at the same level.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Shimano has a curious approach to compatability but in this case...from Moruya Cycles

"Shimano Freehub Body FH-M760

Replacement Freewheel Body for FH-M760 (Deore XT), FH-M765 (Deore XT), FH-M585 (Deore LX)

Shimano Part Number: Y3C098010.

Shipping Weight: 136g."

$49 plus shipping

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
Just an update for everyone.

I remembered I bought an old mtb hub for the axle and after looking in the shed found it, complete with freewheel. It was a Deore level hub I think and looking at the freewheel you could see that it would bolt on. I did notice that the cassette would sit a fraction further out from the centreline but as the freehub had cost me nothing I thought I'd give it a go.

Regrease bearings, adjust cup and cone bearings, put cassette on and install in bike. Will need to adjust limit screws. All done, except the chain just rubs on the deraileur hanger at a certain point of rotation when on the 11 cog. This may be because its running an aftermarket der hanger or the freewheel just makes the cassette sit a bit too close to the frame.

Job for tommorow is to take it all off and put a small spacer on the drive side bearing that should fix it all up.

So, in short, it would appear that any shimano 9 speed freewheel will fit, but you may need to make small spacing adjustments to get all the gears working properly.