Replacing/replacement Shimano XT brake pistons

nathanm

Eats Squid
Have seen some threads about this but the only ones I can find relate to 4 piston brakes and not sure if the same.

Anyway working on a bike for the collective, go to bleed the brakes and crunch, crunch, snap then fluid everywhere.

A piston has exploded of course and not sure where to get replacements from. Looks like the Chinese are the go but whose reputable. Or to save me a wtb has anyone got a dead caliper they can sell me cheap?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Have seen some threads about this but the only ones I can find relate to 4 piston brakes and not sure if the same.

Anyway working on a bike for the collective, go to bleed the brakes and crunch, crunch, snap then fluid everywhere.

A piston has exploded of course and not sure where to get replacements from. Looks like the Chinese are the go but whose reputable. Or to save me a wtb has anyone got a dead caliper they can sell me cheap?
The 2 piston brakes were all the same size, IIRC XTR/XT/SLX have ceramic pistons and Deore and below are metal. My mate cracked a XT and bought a SLX caliper, then swapped in the new piston.

Someone wedging the pistons back out of whack, not flat and centred ;) COTFW thread for the whole story ?

@The Duckmeister will be able to tell you exactly what is compatible.

nathanm

Eats Squid
The 2 piston brakes were all the same size, IIRC XTR/XT/SLX have ceramic pistons and Deore and below are metal. My mate cracked a XT and bought a SLX caliper, then swapped in the new piston.

Someone wedging the pistons back out of whack, not flat and centred ;) COTFW thread for the whole story ?

Actually happened whilst I was pumping the lever. Has sheared off 2 chunks off the back corners of the piston, not the front or sides??

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange

SLX & XT are the same calipers, and use the same ceramic pistons as XTR. Deore (6100, 6000 & 615) use the same 22mm diameter, but cheaper hard plastic ("phenolic" they call it) pistons. Non-series (everything else) also use phenolic piston material, but smaller diameterNo Shimano brakes in at least the last 15 years have used metal pistons..

All moot point though, the spare 785 XT caliper I had is now on its way to @nathanm. :)