Replacing gear cables - outers as well??

wavike

Likes Dirt
I'm running X9 f&r 3yrs use/old. It's still shifting well, but both cables are frayed at the derailleur and starting to look unsafe. So the question is would you normally replace the outers (full length splesh frame) when putting on new cables. I'll be probably getting it done at LBS so will add a far bit of cost, but set and forget is good.

ChopSticks

Banned
If you can't change gear cables your self
then let the lbs decide if it's time for new outters (sounds like it's time anyway)

IMO new outters work better than new inners (when you can only choose one)

If cost is a factor... Google how to change gear cables! It's pretty easy and straight forward (even with internal cabling, as the existing cables will guide the new one into place)

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Do them yourself? Would take 30 minutes going slowly, and about $25 - 30 for a pair of cables with housings. Do one at a time, shift to the smallest chainring up front and the smallest cog on the cassette out back.... this takes the tension off the cables as much as possible. Youtube has a few videos. Remember to wind the barrel adjusters all the way in when you've got the original cable off, then thread the newie on. Put some tension on it, do up the clamping bolt/nut/whatever and test it out. It may need a wind or two on the barrel adjuster and you're sweet.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
When cables are worn and not shifting very well, it's the outer that is worn - you cannot see, because it's inside the cable, but grooves wear in where the cable is at a bend.

Not seen the need to replace cables because of fraying, but sometimes replace only inner when I have to refit a deraileur etc.

Having said that, my bike mechanic does a cable for $25 Given it takes him 10 minutes, he tunes my deraileur, and the parts cost me $15 ( an inner and outer), I just let him do it.

Last edited:

wavike

Likes Dirt
If you can't change gear cables your self
then let the lbs decide if it's time for new outters (sounds like it's time anyway)

IMO new outters work better than new inners (when you can only choose one)

If cost is a factor... Google how to change gear cables! It's pretty easy and straight forward (even with internal cabling, as the existing cables will guide the new one into place)
Do them yourself? Would take 30 minutes going slowly, and about $25 - 30 for a pair of cables with housings. Do one at a time, shift to the smallest chainring up front and the smallest cog on the cassette out back.... this takes the tension off the cables as much as possible. Youtube has a few videos. Remember to wind the barrel adjusters all the way in when you've got the original cable off, then thread the newie on. Put some tension on it, do up the clamping bolt/nut/whatever and test it out. It may need a wind or two on the barrel adjuster and you're sweet.
When cables are worn and not shifting very well, it's the outer that is worn - you cannot see, because it's inside the cable, but grooves wear in where the cable is at a bend.

Not seen the need to replace cables because of fraying, but sometimes replace only inner when I have to refit a deraileur etc.

Having said that, my bike mechanic does a cable for $25 Given it takes him 10 minutes, he tunes my deraileur, and the parts cost me $15 ( an inner and outer), I just let him do it.
Thanks for the tips. Think I'll get the LBS to do these. My old HT could do with some work too, might grab the X9 shifters for sale and get some new cables/outers and have a play with those.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're having the LBS do it then probably more cost effective to do the lot at the same time.

wavike

Likes Dirt
If you're having the LBS do it then probably more cost effective to do the lot at the same time.
Badly worded by me. 2 bikes, one I'll get LBS to replace cables and outers, shifters are fine. Old HT 7yo, I'll have a go myself at the new cables etc, same time as upgrading shifters.