Refitting front wheel

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Hi all,
Have only been riding since December. I bought a Giant Talon 29er, which I love to ride. Just wondering if there is a trick to re attaching the front wheel after taking it off. Each time I do it the disc brakes seem to rub on the pads and it takes a bit of moving and jiggling the wheel around to as to make it true. Any suggestions to make it easier would be greatly appreciated.
David

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
I am assuming it is a quick release? if so make sure the wheel is in the dropouts straight, do this by checking the distance between the tyre/rim and the fork, make sure its even on either side. When doing it up make sure it doesn't move in the dropouts either. hopefully this should work?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Be sure the springs on the QR skewer are around the right way! You'll notice they're somewhat conical; the thin end goes to the axle, the fat end goeas outward, against the ends of the skewer. If they're the wrong way around they'll stop the axle seating properly in the dropouts.

Also, with the bike up the right way on the ground, open the skewer so the wheel can move. Use the weight of the bike to seat it nice & snug on the wheel & tighten the skewer.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also, with the bike up the right way on the ground, open the skewer so the wheel can move. Use the weight of the bike to seat it nice & snug on the wheel & tighten the skewer.
This.

If you've taken the wheel out upside down or on a stand, always open and close the skewer with the wheels on the ground to seat the axle.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Be sure the springs on the QR skewer are around the right way! You'll notice they're somewhat conical; the thin end goes to the axle, the fat end goeas outward, against the ends of the skewer. If they're the wrong way around they'll stop the axle seating properly in the dropouts.

Or a spring may be bent? Or the brake is loose on the mount?

Hi all,
Have only been riding since December. I bought a Giant Talon 29er, which I love to ride. Just wondering if there is a trick to re attaching the front wheel after taking it off. Each time I do it the disc brakes seem to rub on the pads and it takes a bit of moving and jiggling the wheel around to as to make it true. Any suggestions to make it easier would be greatly appreciated.
David
Hope this is not a silly answer: don't lock the quick release too tight. I press the quick release with my palm and there's always a little "pressure mark" that goes away in seconds...
(Giant 29er owner here)