Recommended maintenance books and tool kits

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
What he said. The beam deflecting torque wrenches don't need calibration like the adjustables spring loaded ones.
When it comes to a bike, is it really a big deal if its a little bit out of calibration, even a massive 25% error only makes it 4nm to 5nm or 20nm to 25nm ?

(actually hold that thought, my tension meter being out by 10%-20% could be the root of my problems ;))

Wera hex from Bike Components, usually go on special for about 18euros (~$30)

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
When it comes to a bike, is it really a big deal if its a little bit out of calibration, even a massive 25% error only makes it 4nm to 5nm or 20nm to 25nm ?
I like that I can see the torque as it goes up. So I know I'm getting close to the value (or I'm nowhere near it yet). You get that with digital as well, but then you're up in another price bracket.

Don't get me wrong though, the clicky wrenches are cool too. Just get one you like..

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
I'd recommend staying away from p handle allen key sets - they look fancy but the handle seems to get in the way more often than not. I have the fancy Park ones sitting there and often reach for the cheaper L handled ones.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have T, P and L sets. All get used. I like the T most but for 20% it isn't useful and the others step in.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
What he said. The beam deflecting torque wrenches don't need calibration like the adjustables spring loaded ones.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
They don’t drift, but I’ve seen cheapies out by 20%

Unless gravity isn’t 9.8N at your house, it’s piss easy to calibrate or check. I’d encourage everyone to check their torque wrenches before critical usage, like anything that clamps carbon bars.