Recommended maintenance books and tool kits

xTeq

Likes Bikes
Good evening friends!
I've been off the trails for a couple years and only recently have rekindled my love for the sport.
I'm interested in conducting my own maintenance so I can learn more about my bike and save myself some money (in a way).

After having a search through rotorburn for 'maintenance book', I've come up empty handed.
I'd like to know if any of you have bought some maintenance books, what you like about it, what you don't, whether you recommend it and why.
I've heard that the Parktool book doesn't give you details on suspension maintenance, is this correct?

In addition to the maintenance book, I've been looking around at a few tool kits and I'm spoilt for choice!
I want to purchase something in the $300-$400 range, I guess an entry level kind of kit.
For those of you who've bought kits, what do you like/dislike about it.
I'd also like to know which tools are a definite must have; (I can then determine if any kits I'm looking at do or don't have the must-haves).

Looking forward to all your replies and I'm also looking forward to joining a number of you on the track in the future :)

dropotaro

Likes Dirt
hey mate,
pick up a copy of Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance. Only book I've ever needed. Can't recommend it highly enough.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just start by buying the basic tools like cassette removal tool, pedal spanner, BB tool, chain whip, allen keys and some torx bits.. ect, then add to that as you go.

You can then get a bit more 'pro' by getting socket hex bits, torq wrench, wheel truing gear and a million other tools.

To be self sufficient and do all your own work, there is a bit of foresight needed in the stock of spares you keep. I keep a good stock of chains, chain rings, cables, fluids, tubeless goo, tyres, tubes and the likes.

Apart from a shock service at NSD a few months ago after I let the CTD grub screw too far out and the spring loaded pin twanged too far around (my fault), its been 5-6 years since I used a bike shop for anything, even then it was a chris king hub service and since then, have done my own with a large socket and pin punch.

There's 4 of us clubbed together and bought a "Fox service kit" recently, all the oils, spare seal kits and the tool for inserting the seals, we all happen to have Fox 32mm forks and Fox shocks so it was a no brainer.

ianganderton

Likes Dirt
The Internet has all the resources you need

Park Tools is a good place to start for the basic standard stuff

The Sheldon Brown site is great for esoteric stuff

Search YouTube and Google for specifics

For suspension you can normally find a video or a post on a forum that will give you everything including the stuff that is never in a book or manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xTeq

Likes Bikes
Just start by buying the basic tools like cassette removal tool, pedal spanner, BB tool, chain whip, allen keys and some torx bits.. ect, then add to that as you go.

You can then get a bit more 'pro' by getting socket hex bits, torq wrench, wheel truing gear and a million other tools.

To be self sufficient and do all your own work, there is a bit of foresight needed in the stock of spares you keep. I keep a good stock of chains, chain rings, cables, fluids, tubeless goo, tyres, tubes and the likes.

Apart from a shock service at NSD a few months ago after I let the CTD grub screw too far out and the spring loaded pin twanged too far around (my fault), its been 5-6 years since I used a bike shop for anything, even then it was a chris king hub service and since then, have done my own with a large socket and pin punch.

There's 4 of us clubbed together and bought a "Fox service kit" recently, all the oils, spare seal kits and the tool for inserting the seals, we all happen to have Fox 32mm forks and Fox shocks so it was a no brainer.
Would purchasing tools this way become more costly? Or are the pre-packaged kits loaded with useless tools?
I do like the idea of buying the essentials first - I think I'll need to research those and then start my purchases. Are there any more you'd recommended to start with, or is what you've listed enough?

Thanks for the heads up regarding the spares! I would have never even thought of that.

hey mate,
pick up a copy of Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance. Only book I've ever needed. Can't recommend it highly enough.
Been looking at Zinns, also looking at The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance but need the book to cover all aspects. Are you familiar with the latter?

The Internet has all the resources you need

Park Tools is a good place to start for the basic standard stuff

The Sheldon Brown site is great for esoteric stuff

Search YouTube and Google for specifics

For suspension you can normally find a video or a post on a forum that will give you everything including the stuff that is never in a book or manual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the assistance, I like the peace of mind of having a book and being able to reach and grab it when required and even to just sit down and read when I've got some free time. I hate browsing the net because I end up procrastinating and straying from my task :(

Thanks for your help everyone!
Would appreciate some more tips from others too

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
be OK with making mistakes :)

talk to people, try to organise stitch'n'bitches with people who have all the tools and books, or go to bike kitchen style things and figure out what works and what doesn't.

...and have fun!

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'd recommend getting a cheap toolkit like this one here. It's got everything to get you started. It all fits into its place and is great for packing in the car when heading out to a race or on a road-trip. You might get some higher quality tools one-by-one as your needs change or grow, but at least you'll have the basics covered with a minimum of agro.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I'd recommend getting a cheap toolkit like this one here. It's got everything to get you started. It all fits into its place and is great for packing in the car when heading out to a race or on a road-trip. You might get some higher quality tools one-by-one as your needs change or grow, but at least you'll have the basics covered with a minimum of agro.
^^^^^Can't go wrong with that kit.

As far as instructions go, YouTube probably has 7 years worth of video relating to bike repairs and modifications.

Just ask ( or search ) here is also a very viable option. Width and depth of knowledge here is huge.

stirk

Burner
I've bent an xtools cassette lockring tool.

The standards or ah, lack of them suggests collecting the best quality tools as required depending on your needs.

A basic cheap set though gives you a basic platform to build on.

Spend extra on quality and spend money once.

xTeq

Likes Bikes
be OK with making mistakes :)

talk to people, try to organise stitch'n'bitches with people who have all the tools and books, or go to bike kitchen style things and figure out what works and what doesn't.

...and have fun!
Sorry to be ignorant, but would you please elaborate on a stitch'n'bitch and a bike kitchen? I'm ok with making mistakes, but not the night before I take the bike out for a ride haha! I'm a little nervous around the idea of working on my suspension to add to that!

I was looking at that kit Summit, it looks like a good bang for buck kit! You make a valuable point regarding taking the kit out when heading out for a ride! It'd be very handy and as you said packed well! Cheers mate!

^^^^^Can't go wrong with that kit.

As far as instructions go, YouTube probably has 7 years worth of video relating to bike repairs and modifications.

Just ask ( or search ) here is also a very viable option. Width and depth of knowledge here is huge.
Thanks Link! It's nice to be made welcome! Not many people on forums are as warm and helpful as the guys here on Rotorburn!

I've bent an xtools cassette lockring tool.

The standards or ah, lack of them suggests collecting the best quality tools as required depending on your needs.

A basic cheap set though gives you a basic platform to build on.

Spend extra on quality and spend money once.
Appreciate it Stirk, Judging by your comment, I should invest in a better quality cassette lockring tool? Any other components from that set you'd suggest have a lower quality?

Guys - in addition to this all.. I'm looking at purchasing a brake bleeding kit - are the universal ones good enough for all brakes? I have Avid Elixirs - just wondering which would be more beneficial. I'd prefer the universal ones so that I can work on all brands, but I'd like to know if anyone has had bad experiences with the universal kits.

I've also purchased some new Hans Dampf tyres and would like to know if the No Tubes Sealant is a must when swapping tires over? I'm running Stans No Tube Rims and am yet to pull them apart to see if they are indeed tubeless (my assumption is they are judging by the valve?) but I'm not 100% if all valves are now the long ass-thin ones. Direction on this would be great!!

Thanks homies! <3

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Sorry to be ignorant, but would you please elaborate on a stitch'n'bitch and a bike kitchen? I'm ok with making mistakes, but not the night before I take the bike out for a ride haha! I'm a little nervous around the idea of working on my suspension to add to that!

I was looking at that kit Summit, it looks like a good bang for buck kit! You make a valuable point regarding taking the kit out when heading out for a ride! It'd be very handy and as you said packed well! Cheers mate!

Thanks Link! It's nice to be made welcome! Not many people on forums are as warm and helpful as the guys here on Rotorburn!

Appreciate it Stirk, Judging by your comment, I should invest in a better quality cassette lockring tool? Any other components from that set you'd suggest have a lower quality?

Guys - in addition to this all.. I'm looking at purchasing a brake bleeding kit - are the universal ones good enough for all brakes? I have Avid Elixirs - just wondering which would be more beneficial. I'd prefer the universal ones so that I can work on all brands, but I'd like to know if anyone has had bad experiences with the universal kits.

I've also purchased some new Hans Dampf tyres and would like to know if the No Tubes Sealant is a must when swapping tires over? I'm running Stans No Tube Rims and am yet to pull them apart to see if they are indeed tubeless (my assumption is they are judging by the valve?) but I'm not 100% if all valves are now the long ass-thin ones. Direction on this would be great!!

Thanks homies! <3
Don't go with a universal kit, dedicated kits are better.

Something like this will work well. As soon as you're done, wash in water. Use brake fluid from supercheapauto.

http://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/221686961039

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
I bought a cheap Pro (Shimano's brand) tool kit similar to the X-tools one referenced earlier, and the chainbreaker broke the first time I used it!

However I still feel that it was a great buy. I've had to replace the tools that I use more frequently but it's nice having the other ones on hand when I need 'em. Buy good Allen and torx keys though!

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I've been happy with my 1/4" beam deflecting torque wrench. Benefit of torque in both directions, simple, cheap.

Pair it with a bit coupler and a set of hex and torx bits. Or go for a 1/4" socket set with bits included. Or a more pricey but specific bit ratchet like Wiha has.

Bondhus L style hex keys from Bunnings are cheap and good quality. Wera are good but not cheap. Also stocked at Bunnings though.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've been happy with my 1/4" beam deflecting torque wrench. Benefit of torque in both directions, simple, cheap.

Pair it with a bit coupler and a set of hex and torx bits. Or go for a 1/4" socket set with bits included. Or a more pricey but specific bit ratchet like Wiha has.

Bondhus L style hex keys from Bunnings are cheap and good quality. Wera are good but not cheap. Also stocked at Bunnings though.
What he said. The beam deflecting torque wrenches don't need calibration like the adjustables spring loaded ones.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk