Recommend me a race bike

Ruys

Likes Dirt
So I started going to Tuesday night gate starts at my local BMX track for some cross training for downhill. I've just been using my 4X bike but I'm starting to get pretty keen on getting back into racing after an 8 year hiatus. Seeing as my Superfong isn't quite going to cut it anymore, I'm looking at getting a new bike.

So hit me with some suggestions on what I should be looking at, be it complete bikes or something to build up. Things I've been looking at are the general Intense's, Redline's and GT's so I'd love to hear some thoughts on these. Some more boutique/obscure suggestions would be appreciated though too.

I'm also very open to buying second hand so if you've got something for sale feel free to mention it.

Thanks in advance. :)

Ruys

Likes Dirt
Yeah I'm after a 20". I could go either way on budget. I'd be happy to just go the cheap option and buy a complete 2nd hand bike or I might be swayed into spending a couple of grand if I reeeaaaallly like something. That wouldd mean selling my 4X bike though so not ideal.

I took a few bikes for a spin today and felt heaps more comfortable on xxl's and an xl+ even though I'm a touch under 6 foot and should probably be on a pro xl. Would that be a dumb thing to do (ie. Should I just get used to the smaller feel of an xl over time?)

floody

Wheel size expert
If you consider starting with a frameset, how about this

Comes in 21.25" Pro XL and 21.75" XXL, BB30 Hive crankset, oversize axle rear hub with 120 engagement points...add rims, fork, front hub, bars, stem, seat and you're rollin' on a world champ proven rig.

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I'm after a 20". I could go either way on budget. I'd be happy to just go the cheap option and buy a complete 2nd hand bike or I might be swayed into spending a couple of grand if I reeeaaaallly like something. That wouldd mean selling my 4X bike though so not ideal.

I took a few bikes for a spin today and felt heaps more comfortable on xxl's and an xl+ even though I'm a touch under 6 foot and should probably be on a pro xl. Would that be a dumb thing to do (ie. Should I just get used to the smaller feel of an xl over time?)
I went through the same process you are now around 6 months ago, deffs go an xxl. XL's are tiny when coming off a MTB (IMO)

MarioM

Likes Dirt
So I started going to Tuesday night gate starts at my local BMX track for some cross training for downhill. I've just been using my 4X bike but I'm starting to get pretty keen on getting back into racing after an 8 year hiatus. Seeing as my Superfong isn't quite going to cut it anymore, I'm looking at getting a new bike.

So hit me with some suggestions on what I should be looking at, be it complete bikes or something to build up. Things I've been looking at are the general Intense's, Redline's and GT's so I'd love to hear some thoughts on these. Some more boutique/obscure suggestions would be appreciated though too.

I'm also very open to buying second hand so if you've got something for sale feel free to mention it.

Thanks in advance. :)
Check out my FMF pro xl and pro cruiser on ebay .

Ruys

Likes Dirt
If you consider starting with a frameset, how about this

Comes in 21.25" Pro XL and 21.75" XXL, BB30 Hive crankset, oversize axle rear hub with 120 engagement points...add rims, fork, front hub, bars, stem, seat and you're rollin' on a world champ proven rig.
Awesome, I've never heard of/seen one of those before. That's a really nice looking frame.

For that sort of money though, it's in about the same ball park as this which would be pretty hard to turn down. I'm not sure I could do a bike that nice justice though.

Ruys

Likes Dirt
Has anyone got any opinions on Intense Factory's? My local shop has got a 2011 pro xl on sale for just over $600 which seems like amazing value. Are they pretty much the Giant Glory of the BMX world?

*INFERNO*

Likes Dirt
Has anyone got any opinions on Intense Factory's? My local shop has got a 2011 pro xl on sale for just over $600 which seems like amazing value. Are they pretty much the Giant Glory of the BMX world?
For $600 its a good buy but the Intense XL is only a 21" top tube. Different manufactures vary with top tube lengths with sizes (pro, pro xl, pro xxl etc.) If you feel comfortable on it, then grab it. I use to ride down hill and hardtail 26" mtb's and then went to bmx and found comfortable on a 21.25" and im 158cm but all varys on rider. There are also alot of haters of Sinz parts but I haven't had much experience with Sinz. When you mean Giant Glory, do you mean every man and his dog has one?

Last edited:

Ruys

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate, that's really good info. The bike I used to race on has a 21" top tube and it feels tiny. I think I'll definitely be looking for a xxl then.

*INFERNO*

Likes Dirt
Awesome, I've never heard of/seen one of those before. That's a really nice looking frame.

For that sort of money though, it's in about the same ball park as this which would be pretty hard to turn down. I'm not sure I could do a bike that nice justice though.
Wow, didn't know your were going that advanced. Im considering selling my Redman if your interested.

Last edited:

Ruys

Likes Dirt
Hmmm possibly. It would definitely stand out in a crowd. :)

Do you have a spec list and what sort of price range are you thinking? PM me if you want.

floody

Wheel size expert
Redline looks good!

Yeah ABD are Avanti's BMX arm, have been building decent racebikes for a fair while.$799 is RRP, I'm sure if you cut a deal with the shop on buying some of the other parts etc you'd get it a bit cheaper. Really are a good product and it would be good to see more out there. Sarah Walker has 2 or 3 world championships on them.

Ruys

Likes Dirt
Cool, well it's definitely on the short list if I decide to build something up.

Oh and Inferno i missed part of your second last post. Yeah that's what I meant by the Glory comment. It looks like a perfectly capable race bike from the box, but due to being so cheap they're all over the place. If I can avoid it I'd like to have something a little more unique than that.

That being said, I'm leaning towards a Redline Flight because they seem to be that step up from an Intense but still pretty affordable. Does anyone have any opinions?

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cool, well it's definitely on the short list if I decide to build something up.

Oh and Inferno i missed part of your second last post. Yeah that's what I meant by the Glory comment. It looks like a perfectly capable race bike from the box, but due to being so cheap they're all over the place. If I can avoid it I'd like to have something a little more unique than that.

That being said, I'm leaning towards a Redline Flight because they seem to be that step up from an Intense but still pretty affordable. Does anyone have any opinions?
If you want the glory of the bmx world, get a redline... haha

They are solid bikes (I have a heavily upgraded one myself which is currently for sale), great geometry etc and only only parts from a stock 2011 or 2012 one i suggest you should change are the bars and maybe cranks (if you arent into 180mm)

Other than that, solid bikes... cant go wrong

Ruys

Likes Dirt
Really? Damn, I was really starting to get into them. I suppose you're the same HaydenW as the one from BMXultra that I emailed last night then? If not, then that's an enormous coincidence and can you hit me with a link?

jono_22

Likes Bikes
i used to have the redline flight, and i disagree, i found the intense a much better frame to manuel jump and all around control, this may be because i have a mountain biking background but i found it so much better

haydenw

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really? Damn, I was really starting to get into them. I suppose you're the same HaydenW as the one from BMXultra that I emailed last night then? If not, then that's an enormous coincidence and can you hit me with a link?
oh haha yeah thats me

Ruys

Likes Dirt
Hey Jono, I've looked at yours in the for sale section. Easily at the top of the list of bikes for sale on here but I'm really thinking I'm going to want an xxl.

I've got to agree with you though, out of the 4 bikes I took for a spin on Saturday the Intense felt the best. It was an XL+ with a longish stem on it. Unfortunately they didn't have a Flight so I can't compare directly.

I'm thinking I might see if I can get the cheap pro xl they've got for sale and swap the frame out for a little extra cash.