Rear Shock wobble :S

Delbs

Likes Dirt
This is posted for a Non-Farkiner, One of my mates has a Vp-Free and hes fitted a 5th Element shock on rear, Its started to wobble a little recently, not sideways but when you pick up the seat then drop it like a few inches it moves a little, like just a few mm or cm but ive been told cause the frame joints or mounts have taken a beating? or is it the shock? we have taken the shock and adjusted it, put more air in it etc and it still does it so im guesing its the Frame mounts, but what exactly is it that does it? what joints? ...hes around the same weight as me which is the 85-90 kg mark,...could it be it might not be setup with the correct spring weight like 400-500lb spring? havent had a chance to take it to a LBS yet so any info would help..Thanks

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nah thats something wrong with the pivots

tell him to take it into the bike shop eh got it from and get them to fix it

-Jordan-

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you tried tightening up the pivots?

Edit: beaten by NH_ ... still - try tightening them up.. they may just be a bit loose, which could cause the movement.

Do them all though, not just a few.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
nah thats something wrong with the pivots

tell him to take it into the bike shop eh got it from and get them to fix it
Actually, my mate had the same problem and it was the shock.

So it could be either.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
This is posted for a Non-Farkiner, One of my mates has a Vp-Free and hes fitted a 5th Element shock on rear, Its started to wobble a little recently, not sideways but when you pick up the seat then drop it like a few inches it moves a little, like just a few mm or cm but ive been told cause the frame joints or mounts have taken a beating? or is it the shock? we have taken the shock and adjusted it, put more air in it etc and it still does it so im guesing its the Frame mounts, but what exactly is it that does it? what joints? ...hes around the same weight as me which is the 85-90 kg mark,...could it be it might not be setup with the correct spring weight like 400-500lb spring? havent had a chance to take it to a LBS yet so any info would help..Thanks
Sounds like a classic case of play in the bushings/pivots

Take out the pivot and shock mount bolts, grease em up, and do them up tight - you'll need a fair bit of leverage. Also, dont ride the bike until you have this sorted because you can do some serious damage to the frame.

EDIT - but possibly an issue with the shock, apparently...

Delbs

Likes Dirt
Yes we did check that..he found One out of all of them (all were tight except this one) that didnt have any thread inside it :s weird considering its suppose to but i guess its just been stripped out...i know off the Neezy website he can order more frame parts etc and the bearings which is good...so i guess the LBA could deff find out if thats the prob or not...the shocks in good order so i guess it could be the brackets..

Do you think this is due to the previous owner giving it a thrashing if he was a big guy? maybe he needed a V-10 lol

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the same thing happened to hamos black diamond and it was the bushings in the pivots from memory he just took it into the bikeshop and they fixed it all good