Rear derailleur cable drag, Giant trance X. Could use some advice

mrx78u

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

My 2011 trance has always had issues with drag on the RD cable, there's some ghost shifting as well which may be related. I've replaced inners and outers, relube frequently and changed some of the housing lengths. I also currently have a new rear derailleur and a near new shifter. It seems that maybe something about the cable route isn't quite right. Maybe someone has some ideas or has had the same issue.

Photo shows the route as it is now.
IMG_20131202_194147-resized.jpg

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Got any other angles? From that pic I can't see anything desperately wrong, other than it might be a bit long (check out that huge kink just above the upper cable guide).

It could also be (at least partially) rear derailleur tuning. Shimano 10-sp. RDs can be a little finnicky initially to set up in the sweet spot, but once there work bloody well.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check dropout is straight. The giants have had bad cable routing, but should still change gears cleanly. I ran full length outers on the Trance I had, and didnt suffer any ghost shifts?? Set limit screws on derailliuer, and then adjust cable tension. if it still occurs check for a bent dropout, adjust and then re adjust limit screws.. Have you got a good LBS ? Take it to them to have a look at.I would run full length outers and see if that fixes it....

StanzaRallyMan

Likes Bikes
dont use lube on the cable or outer housing. All it does is collect dirt. Install dry, once it starts not shifting properly, replace both.