Re-tapping threads

willsy01

Eats Squid
Suggestions on who to take a frame to to have the ISCG holes tapped after the powdercoater filled the threads with powdercoat despite me saying they will be used?

Please don't say Gripsport. I'm not sending it interstate to have three holes tapped.

Thank you.

OCD'R

Likes Dirt
What cooki said, not what Chops said. Take the M4 or M5 (whatever it is) bolt with you to make it easier.

SuchisLife

Likes Dirt
Where in Sydney are you? I have a full set of taps and my old man is a toolmaker so I have been tought how to use them. I'm in Camden area.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Where in Sydney are you? I have a full set of taps and my old man is a toolmaker so I have been tought how to use them. I'm in Camden area.

lol, re-tapping a thread hardly requires the expertise of a toolmaker!

willsy01

Eats Squid
Thanks dude......i'll keep that in mind. I'm not too ham-fisted so i'll cautiously have a go with the tap kit provided the pitch is right.

Dug

Likes Dirt
But not how to spell...LOL

:behindsofa:

Im sure your LBS will help you out

T-Rex

Template denier
can you use a pin/sewing needle or prescription glasses/ jewelry screw drivers and carve the paint out?
This.

Willsy, running a tap through it I reckon there's a really high probability of cross threading the tabs. I've got the taps and a proper tap holder and I'd still be doing it the way Chops suggests.

If you can get most of the powder coating out, you can make a ghetto tap out of a M6 bolt, with a couple of groves filed perpendicular to the threads, and use it to clean the rest out.

Edit: Pro tip for next time, put some bolts in the tabs before giving the frame to the powder coater.

Last edited:

Newie

Likes Dirt
I recently had a similar problem with a stubborn pivot bolt. I took it to this small shop in the industrial zone that sells nuts and bolts as well as making custom nuts and bolt etc,
asked them nicely and had a professional do it in 30mins for $15. I can't say everyone would do this and I am fair way out of the city and managed to find a place that would
but asking never hurts.

Professional re-tap + 30mins + $15 = win

moorey

call me Mia
I rounded out Allen head in rear axle pinch bolts in my old 222 back in the day. I took it into an engineering place to seek assistance. They had never seen anything like a Dh bike, and were fascinated. 10 guys including the boss stopped work, looked at the problem, had a round table, worked out the best way and got it done, just for the challenge and novelty, didn't charge a cent (I think they decided to tack weld an Allen key into it, and even gave me a new bolt)
It was Friday arvo, so I returned with a slab for them.
Ask nicely, be genuine, and people are more than willing to help out.

Hey! Who hacked my account with all these helpful comments and positive sentiments???