Rattling shimano Zee front brake pads.

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
Hey y'all recently got some finned shimano brake pads for the front end of my bike.
I had the standard pads that the shimano zee came with and no problems was quite as, got a bleed and some finned front pads installed ( at a bike shop) have taken it for it second ride and they rattling like crazy.
Could it be that the split pin wasn't split correctly and isn't holding the pads in there correctly ?
It's the only thing I can think of.
Has anyone else experienced this ?
The brakes are working awesome but the noise is giving me the absolute shits, it's that bad.
Cheers in advance.
Dan.

teK--

Eats Squid
Hey y'all recently got some finned shimano brake pads for the front end of my bike.
I had the standard pads that the shimano zee came with and no problems was quite as, got a bleed and some finned front pads installed ( at a bike shop) have taken it for it second ride and they rattling like crazy.
Could it be that the split pin wasn't split correctly and isn't holding the pads in there correctly ?
It's the only thing I can think of.
Has anyone else experienced this ?
The brakes are working awesome but the noise is giving me the absolute shits, it's that bad.
Cheers in advance.
Dan.
Take the pads out and see if it's the pads or the pin that's rattling.

A small number of the Shimano heatsink pads have reportedly had defects where the heatsink was loose or even came off the pad itself.

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Probably is fine. Its just that the pads have a lot higher mass than they used to because of the addition of the heatsink. This causes them to rattle around more, and I would bet that the area of the heatsink also allows more noise to be emitted from vibrations.

I just got used to it with mine. You could try and spread the pad spreader spring a bit.

If the pin is rattling, just spread it more so that it is held tight in the caliper. This won't affect the pads rattling, however. The pin just stops the pads from falling out, basically.

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info fellas.
Took it apart today and found out the ass hats at my not so lbs forgot to put the pad spreader spring in all together.
I think that is the issue haha.
At least I got to the bottom of that quick.
Would a normal pad spring be the same as a heat sink one ???
Pretty sure I have one floating around in the garage.
Cheers once again.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Took it apart today and found out the ass hats at my not so lbs forgot to put the pad spreader spring in all together.
Cheers once again.
Ahh gotta love the highly qualified lbs bike mechanics!

Alex Dlugosch

Likes Dirt
Cheers once again.
Yeah the pad spreader is the same one that's been used for Saint for a while, even the same as the one for the old 4 pot XT brake!

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
Over a pad spring? Jesus.......get a grip. Humans make mistakes every so often.
Nah it's just not over a pad spring..............
There is a lot more to it , there was a series of events that I let slide but that was the last straw.
Agreed that humans make mistakes, I'm not the only one who thinks this about that store.
A number of my mates won't be giving them any more business and I deff won't have anything good to say about that store.

teK--

Eats Squid
Cheers mate installed the spring and no more rattle.
It's got to make you wonder how they FORGOT to put it in.
Might as well name and shame.
Fucking My Mountain in Brunswick what a fucking joke the couple times I have been there they have been the rudest fucks especially that Tim cunt.
Will be bad mouthing them to every rider I come across, bunch of ass hats.
Are you related to Chops?

I have been to MM only once they were super friendly and helpful although they did unfortunately give me the wrong part when I had given them specific measurements. Didn't realise until I got back home. They set up a stand at a recent race and were also very helpful.

Everyone makes mistakes you should let them know what happened before slandering them.

ChopSticks

Banned
Are you related to Chops?

fuck off Jimmy :p
(i can say it coz i know this thread will get closed soon :p)

clearly the OP is pissed... and rightly so.
it might seem like a minor thing, but it all adds up.

If a customer as unhappy... regardless of reason, the business loses to the customer every time.

Skip all the shitty LBS's.... buy the tools and do the simple jobs yourself!
leave wheel building and shock damper servicing to the pros though.

shadow knight

Likes Dirt
fuck off Jimmy :p
(i can say it coz i know this thread will get closed soon :p)

clearly the OP is pissed... and rightly so.
it might seem like a minor thing, but it all adds up.

If a customer as unhappy... regardless of reason, the business loses to the customer every time.

Skip all the shitty LBS's.... buy the tools and do the simple jobs yourself!
leave wheel building and shock damper servicing to the pros though.
Deleted my posts as I think I might have taken it to far on a forum haha.
Words of wisdom right there tho chops.