Race Fees?

Drew.

Eats Squid
notl337 said:
What do race fees cover? $40 a race seems a bit steep...
They basically cover:

• Insurace (The main thing)
  • Day licence (If needed)
  • Cash for the orginisers (I think?)
That's about it.....

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
well just have a think about everything that goes into organising races, all the equipment, marshalls etc etc. all things that take time usualy take money. PLUS WHAT HE SAID!

ive been paying $70 for ages, seems fair by the costs and everythng else that goes into the races.

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
notl337 said:
What do race fees cover? $40 a race seems a bit steep...
There is a heap of things that the race organisers need. Things like hire of 4wd's, trailers, toilets, generators, 2-way radios, machinery ect. Also things like timing setups are very pricey, making/ maintaining of tracks. Even bunting to mark out the track costs a packet... Races are far from cheap to run.

There is a hell of a lot of work and cash involved in setting up a good venue, and organising good races..

$40 is cheap unless you have too walk up the hill, the track is crap, and the timing is done with an old sun dial. If it was like that then I would complain about the $40... If not then I say thats cheap.

Hope this gives you a bit of an idea where your entry fees are going.

Cheers,
Sam

Kram

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shuttles, portaloo, first aid, land access, trail building/maintenance, marshalling, administration, website support, results listing, timing, walkie talkies, bunting, hay bales, signage, number plates, advertising, prizes, banking, licensing and a little bit left over for the huge amount of time and effort required to make it run properly.

Or you can go to Movie World for the day and bore yourself silly for twice as much.

Wattsy

Hornsby Cycles
If we are talking bout downhill, timing equipment alone cost's ALOT to hire. I had a huge list somewhere, but can't find it.

sammydog

NSWMTB, Hunter MTB Association
We would only charge $5 + day licence for a club round, but for this you only get a race run which you have to push up.

For an ystate DH round we have ever run your entry fee covers use of the State Forest (yes use of the land costs $$$$$$), toilets, food, transport, timing, prizes (yes this costs $$$$$ as well), first aid people, communications (fortunately we have our own timing), trailer rego, trailer hire (if other clubs throw their trailers in), as well as other smaller miscellaneous items. and we would normally charge more than $40.

Trust me, the people putting a race on for that amount won't make much money at all, if any.

Don't complain, offer to help out. Those poeple are spending a lot of time to put a race on for you enjoyment. If you don;t like it, don't go, just don't complain about the cost.

jonot

Likes Dirt
Sounds like they put alot of work in to the races.

I wasn't complaining, just for a new racer I wasn't sure where my race fees were going.

What's the go with club memberships? does that effect the cost?

demo man

Used to be cool.
notl337 said:
Sounds like they put alot of work in to the races.

I wasn't complaining, just for a new racer I wasn't sure where my race fees were going.

What's the go with club memberships? does that effect the cost?

insurance is NEVER covered in an entry fee - if the entry fee is 40 bucks that's the cost of running the event. what membership to a club does is stop you from having to pay a $15 day license, which is the insurance cover, at every event.

if your club's membership costs $92 say, then you only need to race 4 times in a year to save money. if you are a member of an MTBA affiliated club, then you are insured at an event anyway.

so, being a member saves you the extra $15 at a race.

some clubs do also have cheaper entries into races for members, CORC has free racing at the club DH, XC and all the Dirt Crits at the moment, so if you're not a member it's $10 entry plus $15 day license, so it's a $25 race, but if you're a club member it's scott free.

did that make any sense?

i won't add to what costs money in an event because the above have pretty much wrapped it up, you can already see that whatever the entry price is, the organisers don't get anything, if there is a profit made by a club then that normally goes into new equipment or trail maintenance or Junior development etc. etc.