[R]evolution Magazine

frosteee01

Likes Bikes
Just wondering if anyone out there has purchased a copy of this new Aus mtb mag yet??? I went looking for the new issue of Clict but only came across this mag.. must say it is quite impressive! Good quality photos and articles, should be a good read to help fill in the gaps left by clict and Amb

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah, got my copy today; haven't been able to find a Gardnier by-line though, want to give us a hint ry?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Alright, next time I'll open my eyes and look at all the articles.... :oops:

I think we should take bets on how many times he can put "farkin.net" in, in each issue. :)

dhd

Downhill Direct
I thought it was great and actually thought it would be a good magazine for us to advertise in..........until I read the article on online shops and all the downfalls of buying on the internet :roll:
The article was so one eyed it was a joke.......I guess I never realised we were doing such a bad job :lol:

roasted

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the problem aint with buying over the internet, its buying from OS over the web when the product is actually available at yer shop! (yer, I know its cheap, but... less money into shops = less bike shops. less bike shops=less performance bikes, harder for new riders to get into it. sport shrinks. we lose all power, no trails exist, MTB dies.

now, an Ausie site, it aint a problem, and DHD's site, hes the importer for all that shit, so it dont matter.

/rant.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So [R]evolution is out,
Ive been waiting for this mag for a while now, ill have to go fetch my copy soon...

Ivan

Eats Squid
totally loved it except for the article about buying online. especially seeing as i just went to a nearby store and copped a shafting on some stuff i bought. i won't go back.

toodles

Wheel size expert
Ivan said:
totally loved it except for the article about buying online. especially seeing as i just went to a nearby store and copped a shafting on some stuff i bought. i won't go back.
That article was the only thing I disagreed with. It presumes you have a local store within cooee that actually puts something back into the scene.

PS - good work Ryan

scblack

Leucocholic
toodles wrote:
. It presumes you have a local store within cooee that actually puts something back into the scene.
Thats a damn good point toodles - how many bike shops really support the DH scene?

From my memory at NSW state DH rounds, and WSMTB club races:
Bike Shed Mortdale - get to a few races, and have a tent up etc,
Lifecycles - sponsors some riders, supports WSMTB
Bike Addiction - sponsored a Ourimbah National round when it was looking doubtful
SIC (St Ives Cycles?) - I see shirts around.
I am sure I probably missed some, but that is what I remember.

Not much else I can think of. I do shop at these shops because they help the DH race/ride scene for us. Personally, I consider that presence at races their advertising in a sense. They are then known to me , they support riding, and I'll make an attempt to buy from them.

Maybe if more of our local shops got out more, it would help them.

scblack

Leucocholic
I got a copy of Revloution last week too (while searching for Clict), and it looks pretty good. Plenty of stories.

DOM

Eats Squid
Gotta Love Scott Sharples write up ... funny some of the lines he got away with haha he definately speaks his mind and it was good to see what he came up with wasnt edited or toned down for the mag.

toodles

Wheel size expert
DOM said:
Gotta Love Scott Sharples write up ... funny some of the lines he got away with haha he definately speaks his mind and it was good to see what he came up with wasnt edited or toned down for the mag.
Yeah his write up on DH in the Olympics was cleverly written. Sarcastic bugger isn't he...

Gripo

Eats Squid
Mag looks great, not much more we could ask for other than no XC please. :p

But the first Aussie MTB mag to go monthly will be the winner................

Until then all Aussie MTB mags are just "try hards"

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gripper said:
Mag looks great, not much more we could ask for other than no XC please. :p

Until then all Aussie MTB mags are just "try hards"
so you would rather a small mag with heaps of ads and hardly any articles to come out each month?
There's not enough going on each month to warrant a full mag being put out and the costs associated with each release are probably more than you realise. The way mags make money is advertising and selling copies. There is a fine balance between anough ads to get the money back and too many adds that discourages people from buying the it. Please don't tell me you are one of those people who are anti-XC in a MTB magazine, especially if you want it monthly. I don't read the XC sections either (unless im super bored) but if it's there it doesn't bother me.

All said and done I wanna check this new mag out.

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gripper said:
A while back AMB was monthly...

But id rather a good mag like Clict or Revolution to come out quaterly or Bi Monthly then a shite one every month.

:wink:

Gripo

Eats Squid
I understand but

Guys there is plenty going. It just requires the dedication to do it.
Sure enough the advert monies isn't there.......... why?
Who'd want to advertise in a bi/quarterly publication when your product your trying to sell is seeing innovation and upgrade every 6 months or so.

There are many new products to be reviewed.
Many bikes to be ridden/reviewed.
Tech developments in suspension/drivetrain to be talked about.
The freeride/street scene could be explored in more detail eg. why it's popular.
DH scene is dominated by Aussies.
XC has some Aussie world class riders.
The DJ/street scene of MTB
Bike setups and how too's etc for all disciplines of MTB.
Places to visit/explore in Aus alone again for all disciplines.

MTBiking would seem to be in a growth spurt at the moment and to carry that there needs to be a healthy re: monthly periodical to support it.
It also helps to encourage new riders/business if a publication is monthly.

You can always tell how healthy and forward looking any sport/interest is by the period of publication of their magazines.

dugfast

Likes Dirt
I got my copy last week, cause it was the cheapest MTB mag in my local newsagent :p I had no idea it was new because i never buy mags. I was really surprised that it wasn't all advertising like I've seen in other mags. Its got enough reading to justify the money spent. I reckon its better to have a magazine come out every season, because then it has more stories and reviews under its belt, making it a more enjoyable read.
To all those out there in search of a good mag, go and grab yourself a copy.

stinky|dan

Likes Dirt
I really like the magazine except for a few points. Spelling errors, and Grant Allen. Sure, Allen can ride, but i wish he'd shut up with his opinions on riding.

Sharples and Rennie's articles were both great, it was nice to see Sharples getting a forum where he can speak his mind and we can read what he really thinks.

Dan

toodles

Wheel size expert
stinky|dan said:
I really like the magazine except for a few points. Spelling errors, and Grant Allen. Sure, Allen can ride, but i wish he'd shut up with his opinions on riding.
Yeah there's even one on the front cover of my copy :D (i think)

***edit*** actually that might be Clict. I got them mixed up. I'll check later. Or I would if I wasn't farkin lazy