Question for the Mechanics - Lubes

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I would have thought (without any scientific basis) that dry lube on fork uppers would be better than a wet/sticky lube that shit gets stuck to.
Just a quick note on this - don't get mixed up with the reference to dry and wet lubes. It usually refers to the conditions it should be used in rather than the form it holds.

By that I mean a dry lube will be (and will remain) a very thin liquid that works well in dusty conditions but needs to be reapplied often. A wet lube will be thick and sometimes waxy that repels water well and stays where it's put.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Just a quick note on this - don't get mixed up with the reference to dry and wet lubes. It usually refers to the conditions it should be used in rather than the form it holds.

By that I mean a dry lube will be (and will remain) a very thin liquid that works well in dusty conditions but needs to be reapplied often. A wet lube will be thick and sometimes waxy that repels water well and stays where it's put.
You'd be not quite right there. Yes dry lubes are wet when they're in the bottle, but they comprise a wax or PTFE lubricant in a solvent carrier. The carrier evaporates after application, leaving the lubricant dry on the chain. Dry lubes don't take wet conditions well because the lube gets ground into a powder by the movement of the chain, which is then very prone to flushing off.

Wet lubes remain wet, so are not suited to dry conditions because they will tent to attract dirt. But in the wet, the water-resistant barrier formed by the lube allows water to flush the crap off but leave a decent coat of lube

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Interesting. As far as I can tell, a silicon (or even a PFTE) spray dries and doesn't leave a residue that would attract dust any more than unsprayed stanchions. I could be wrong though.

And you also 'moisturise' your seals with Slickoleum to keep them supple and to maintain a good seal, yes? Do you apply the Slicko to all external parts of the seals and do they gather dust as such?
I've noticed it a fair bit in the past when I have used the 'juice lubes' branded one.

I put a little on the seals to help keep them soft, so they keep doing their job the best they can.