Queenstown Park Bike Choice

Hi all,

Booked in a NZ trip with a mate of mine for Feb 2017; 3.5 days in Queenstown and 4.5 days in Rotorua. Now I'm taking my 2016 Trance 1 (with 150 34's) to ride during Rotorua but was looking for some advice regaurding bike hire during the Queenstown section of the trip.

Basically, will my Trance be properly undergunned for half a day of the lift-accessed bike park in QT (especially as my mate with be on a rental DH bike)? What about the Coronet Peak trails, should be fine there?

Any other advice regarding the trip would be appreciated too. Lets hear it!

Cheers

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Much of the Queenstown bikepark is proper steep and proper gnar. There are however a number of trails that are trail bike safe. It depends on how adventurous you want to get on your half day. If you want to ride anything black rated hire a downhill bike for sure.

clockworked

Like an orange
yeah it's half a day. Hire a DH bike and lay off the piss the night before. It'll be about the same cost has getting smashed and hating your trail bike for the morning!

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It can be done, I did it on a SB66. I managed to do all of the Black Diamond courses, I folled mates into them though. The tracks are way different there, no sketchy-ness everything is solid and predictable. The blue/green runs are great fun too. Also If you can try and get out to Coronet Peak, there is a day shuttle you can do there ($75nzd) well worth it.

Last edited:

Nautonier

Eats Squid
Coronet tracks are all great on a trail bike as is everything in the bike park except maybe for World Cup, Hobbit and Angry Bee (or whatever it's called). If you get a chance try and fit in Salmon Run that starts above the bike park and ends up at Wynyards - one of the best tracks around.

dunndog

Eats Squid
Much of the Queenstown bikepark is proper steep and proper gnar. There are however a number of trails that are trail bike safe. It depends on how adventurous you want to get on your half day. If you want to ride anything black rated hire a downhill bike for sure.
really? I'd have said about 80% of the park is better suited to a big am bike than a dh bike.. although the Trance could do with being a bit burlier, especially if your mate is on a dh bike. You won't get the most out of riding together but you'd definitely have enough trails to enjoy on your trance for a half day.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
really? I'd have said about 80% of the park is better suited to a big am bike than a dh bike.. although the Trance could do with being a bit burlier, especially if your mate is on a dh bike. You won't get the most out of riding together but you'd definitely have enough trails to enjoy on your trance for a half day.
I'm with you. My lady and I spent 2 half days in there in early Dec and absolutely loved. We got 10 runs in each days and that was my limit. I ride a 16 reign and she's got a 15 Sight with 150mm Pikes on the front. We saw heaps of AM style bikes so I'd give the Trance a go.

Thanks for the info and suggestions provided. Will hire a DH bike for a day of proper park runs and use the trail bike for the Coronet Peak shuttles. If I get time in the morning before we fly to Auckland, I might try and sneak in a few runs in the park on the Trance too. Depends how fucked my forearms feel...

Cheers

dunndog

Eats Squid
Thanks for the info and suggestions provided. Will hire a DH bike for a day of proper park runs and use the trail bike for the Coronet Peak shuttles. If I get time in the morning before we fly to Auckland, I might try and sneak in a few runs in the park on the Trance too. Depends how fucked my forearms feel...

Cheers
Well played.

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Did every track at Skyline with an Orange 5.

A big bike would have been nice to take the edge off the braking bumps however.

jawry

Likes Dirt
G'day all,

sorry to hijack thread - cannot seem to find a definite answer.

Is the gondala/mtb park open during winter.

If no, are there any decent ride options.

FWIW - very experienced rider with a trany covert 27.5.

OK if its not shuttle/downhill - as longs as its good thrill a minute single track.

Taking miss 16 and 19 skiing out of Wanaka - if i can get some mtb in on the second week that would be awsome.

effarr

Likes Dirt
G'day all,

sorry to hijack thread - cannot seem to find a definite answer.

Is the gondala/mtb park open during winter.

If no, are there any decent ride options.

FWIW - very experienced rider with a trany covert 27.5.

OK if its not shuttle/downhill - as longs as its good thrill a minute single track.

Taking miss 16 and 19 skiing out of Wanaka - if i can get some mtb in on the second week that would be awsome.
No. Closed from May to September or thereabouts depending on the cold season.

http://www.skyline.co.nz/queenstown/mountain-bike-open-times/

Cheers
Leon

dunndog

Eats Squid
You can always ride Wynyard and play around in the free ride park, unless it's snowing down to lake level in which case you'd be shredding the pow anyway right?