Pumping up a Maxxis UST tubeless tire?

bobb

Likes Bikes
I recently brought a bike with Maxxis UST tubeless tires but I can't work out how to pump them up.
I tried pumping them up with a hand pump but no lack. Can someone give me advise how to get them working?

MRO

Likes Dirt
Take the wheel to the petrol station and use the compressor pump.

I think they are harder to do the first time so maybe in the future you will be able to use your hand pump but possibly not for the first time.

I am a newb at this but that is what i found.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
The most simple way is an air compressor. You need a big burst of air straight up to get the tyre to seat in the groove on the rim and you can't achieve that with many pumps. I've done it with a floor pump but that was a fairly stiff side walled tyre.
You need to also remember that at some stage you have to put your sealant in your tyre so once you've got the knack of seating the tyre you can let it down enough and use a syringe to put the required amount of sealant in. Roll your wheel around any which way you can and check for leaks. After that, you'll be able to ride!

BLKFOZ

Likes Dirt
I recently brought a bike with Maxxis UST tubeless tires but I can't work out how to pump them up.
I tried pumping them up with a hand pump but no lack. Can someone give me advise how to get them working?
I'm guessing you mean you can't work the valve out?
If it is presta, you need to unscrew the little knob first and depress the valve to make sure it isn't gummed up with sealant. Then either put on a presta compatible pump or use an adaptor and a normal car-type compressor.
If you mean fitting a tubeless tyre, thats a different story but still easily done at home with general tools.

teK--

Eats Squid
Install the tyres with a tube and leave for a night or two to shape the bead properly as it could have taken the shape of when it was all folded and tied up in packaging.

Pinch the centre of the tyre all the way around using your thumb in the middle of the tread and pulling the bead outwards towards the rim edge, all around the circumference. Especially make sure the sidewalls near the valve are on either side of the valve so you don't lose air.

When you inflate make sure valve is on top of wheel pointing towards the ground.

Then inflate using quick blasts of the handle. UST tyres should inflate easily onto a tubeless or tubeless converted rim using all but the wimpiest compact pumps.

T-Rex

Template denier
The other thing you can do to help with airflow, which will pop the tyre onto the bead, is to pull the valve core out. Once the tyre is seated, quickly screw the valve core back in. It only needs a couple of pounds of pressure to hold the tyre on the rim, then you can inflate it normally at your leasure.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Talk about a VAGUE question! Are the tyres already on the wheels? I am assuming they are, since you say you bought the bike WITH UST tyres. So, EXACTLY what is the issue with pumping them up? When you attach the hand pump does air go in? If not, then as stated above, learn how to use a Presta valve. If air is going in and then coming out around the rim it means the bead is not seated. You will have more luck with a floor pump but it can be done with a good hand pump. Get some soapy water and brush it all around the bead of the tyre. Make sure that both beads are in the CENTRE of the rim and that the area around the valve is not exposed (it should be covered by the tyre) and then pump with gusto. The beads should slide up to the edge of the rim and eventually you will here some loud popping noises - this is the bead seating itself. Keep pumping up to about 50 psi - check the bead seating and then let air out to required pressure. NOTE you should not need a compressor for a UST tyre on a tubeless rim - ever.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
I am assuming the tyre is flat and come of the bead (Tyre is sorta floating on the rim).

A good handpump might do the trick but just get a track/floor pump.

You need lots of air. Service station will also work but if you own UST's then get a track pump.