Pros & cons of 06 demo8

dupes

Squid
I was just wondering if any one could give me some pros & cons of the 06 demo8?

Right now I ride a medium 08 aline park and its a bit to big and heavy for me so I was thinking of going to a small frame and I like the look of the demos.
Any advise would be great.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Cons: Heavy(!), old (may have been exposed to a thrashing), pedals like a bufalo stuck in mud, angles are a little "free-ride" like, but still perfectly capable of downhill. If you are gonna straight swap the parts you may find difficulty with the rear wheel/bottom bracket/etc.

Pro's: Bulletproof, stiff, plush, bulletproof, I happen to like the feel of their travel (preference), and they're pretty bulletproof.

sampo1

Likes Dirt
Cons: Cant jump very well (in my experience) heavy
Pros: Plush bullet proof etc

I upgraded to the 2007 frame and its 100 Times better.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
I used to ride a Demo 8 and swapped only because the frame was a tad bit too small for me. If it weren't for that, I'd be keeping it.

Pros:
- Frame is built really well, welds are fantastic
- Anodizing on the 06 Demos are hard wearing, they barely mark. It's so resilient to scratches.
- Adjustable geo means you can set up the head angle and bottom bracket height depending on what kind of trails you are riding.
- The demo 8 can plow through rock gardens
- No brake jack
- Rides a lot lighter than it is
- Pedals well for a big bike
- Smaller BB width means you can run XT cranks

Cons:
- Adjusting the rear shock is slightly inconvenient due to the position. However, I'm the kinda person who sets and forgets so only found this an issue once a year if that
- My frame weighs 5.3kg with shock, seat clamp, dérailleur hanger
- Tis annoying to clean cuz of all the nooks and crannies. However, if you use muc off then it is irrelevant. Not really a con though, I'm just lazy

I definitely LOVED the Demo 8. Prior to owning that I had a Giant DH Comp which I thought was the business, but this bike is miles ahead. It's a very confidence inspiring bike that's for sure, and it's definitely progressed my riding a heap.

If you can pick one up cheap I say go for it, it guns like a champion.

My only advice, don't go for anything before 06 as they had issues with cracking.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I agree with the sentiments.
They are a really nice bike to ride, I have a 06 and i prefer it over alot of other bikes. yes its heavy but the FSR system works really well. they are abit fiddly to clean or adjust shocks, also when its time to do bearings they are expensive as the top link alone has 8 bearings and if you get somthing like enduroMAX they are about 8 bucks each.
I also have a put fair few dints in the base of the down tube it just seems to be vunerable when comming into a rock garden at warp 10, not sure why.. maybe Im just rough!