problems with 09 totems

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
on my demo7, the totems keep stuffing up, i have had the fixed twice, but that doesn't seam to do anything,

last time i have had them fixed it was around 2-3 weeks ago max. i haven't done any riding since due to work commitments, i have only gone for rides to take my dog for a run, but today when i got on my bike my forks were stuffed again, i have had this problem once after a race but not from lack of use,

my mate said maybe there is no oil in them,

the rebound is also not responding and every time i lift the front end up i can hear the spring or something in it bashing something else (it doesn't sound healthy).
i have had them fixed my LBS twice, (bike edge wodonga if that changes anything) but the problem still occurs.

any suggestions?

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah, heres a suggestion. try desribing the symptoms and whats its actually doing or happening. Your post is very vague, hard to give a suggestion when we cant really tell whats happening to the fork!

For all I know, by your description, it could be anything from headset, to creaky crown, to a leak to a 2-step malfunction, to a solo air blown seal....but we dont have the info to give you a good reply. What is working, at which settings?

"the rebound is also not responding" - more info please. ( Stop yelling at it then....you'll hurt its feelings....) Is it working at all, or blows through in all settings? Can you hear oil through the ports? etc etc...Is it locked as in wont come back up after compressing the fork? Does compression work? Is it a 2 step or solo air, or standard spring? Who serviced it?
Have you opened the top and checked oil yourself? Heaps more info you could supply......

Simplt stating that they are "stuffed" is like writing a blank cheque. I certainly wouldnt go to my car mechanic and say its stuffed. Id describe the problem in as much detail.....

Cheers. Heres hoping we can get a bit more info from you, or else Ill have to use the force or gaze at my crystal ball.........

Last edited:

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
Yeah, heres a suggestion. try desribing the symptoms and whats its actually doing or happening. Your post is very vague, hard to give a suggestion when we cant tell whats happening to the fork!

For all I know, by your description, it could be anything from headset, to creaky crown, to a leak to a 2-step malfunction, to a solo air blown seal....but we dont have the info to give you a good reply.

Simplt stating that they are "stuffed" is like writing a blank cheque. I certainly wouldnt go to my car mechanic and say its stuffed. Id describe the problem in as much detail.....

Cheers. Heres hoping we can get a good reply from you, or else Ill have to use the force or gaze at my crystal ball.........
fair enough, you are right,

its hard to explain,
normally when you push your forks down then the rebound kicks in after the pressure is off and the spring bounces up, it sounds as the spring is bouncing up and down inside the fork, the rebound also in not responding, when i turn the knob to quicken or slow down the rebound nothing happens, its just really quick rebound with a unhealthy clucking noise once the stantions have fully risen from the lowers.

does that make any sense?

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fair enough, you are right,

its hard to explain,
normally when you push your forks down then the rebound kicks in after the pressure is off and the spring bounces up, it sounds as the spring is bouncing up and down inside the fork, the rebound also in not responding, when i turn the knob to quicken or slow down the rebound nothing happens, its just really quick rebound with a unhealthy clucking noise once the stantions have fully risen from the lowers.

does that make any sense?
So you are saying: you push down to compress the fork, and when you release it, the fork comes back up hard and fast (zero rebound control) and you are geting a top out clunk/noise, but the noise is like something is rattling around inside.

If there is oil in the fork, then this sounds like the rebound head is blown. Does the compression settings still work, or are they having no effect either?

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
is the fork air or coil? is the damping mission control or motion control? are you getting full travel or not?

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
same thing as what my LBS said, the guy from my LBS said since he has fixed it before he is going to do the same thing, i told him he could take it for a ride your self to see if it does the same thing.
if it they do break again and it continues to do so, should i send them to rock shox or just by new fork if its to much of a hassle?