Powerlink removal tool?

mason33

Likes Dirt
I remember years ago on this forum (I think) a simple little tool to easily get powerlinks apart on the trail, does anyone know of this? Or have photos? It looked like a piece of flat alloy with a shape cut into it which slipped between the links and pushed them together, maybe.

Thanks.

ChopSticks

Banned
proper tool is only $12.... but a trip to the dollar shop for a set of cheap needle nose pliers with its tips bent works well too

Let me try and find a photo of the ghetto one i made

edit: here it is

Last edited:

mason33

Likes Dirt
proper tool is only $12.... but a trip to the dollar shop for a set of cheap needle nose pliers with its tips bent works well too

Let me try and find a photo of the ghetto one i made
Cheers mate, but not what I'm after :) The tool I was referring to was thin sheet of alloy no bigger than a match box for trail side removal.

ChopSticks

Banned
Cheers mate, but not what I'm after :) The tool I was referring to was thin sheet of alloy no bigger than a match box for trail side removal.

ahhhh, i think i know what youre after... I have a multi-tool with that feature...

have you tried the gear cable method? get a length of cable and thread it between the rollers and tie a knot... leave enough for grip and pull ends to close knot

takai

Eats Squid
If you flip your bike upside down and then pop the quick link at about the 2 O'clock point on your chainring with the quick link pointing radially away from the chainring then you can use something such as your multitool to knock the quick link apart.
Easy, no specific tool required.

mason33

Likes Dirt
If you flip your bike upside down and then pop the quick link at about the 2 O'clock point on your chainring with the quick link pointing radially away from the chainring then you can use something such as your multitool to knock the quick link apart.
Seems like a good method of removing skin from knuckles as well. Oh well, what I'm looking for must be lost to the depths of the interwebs forever.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I remember years ago on this forum (I think) a simple little tool to easily get powerlinks apart on the trail, does anyone know of this? Or have photos? It looked like a piece of flat alloy with a shape cut into it which slipped between the links and pushed them together, maybe.

Thanks.
Rings a bell, is like a drill drift? If so, you could easily make on with a bench grinder/jig saw.

willsy01

Eats Squid
Just get a pair of the pliers. Mine is the like the Park Tool one, just a third of the price.......

Make sure it's the one that both locks and unlocks them.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Powerlinks come apart easily on the trail. Just squeeze the plates together by pinching between thumb and forefinger on one hand, and push the chain together with the other hand.

ChopSticks

Banned
Powerlinks come apart easily on the trail. Just squeeze the plates together by pinching between thumb and forefinger on one hand, and push the chain together with the other hand.
I found this true for Sram power links... but when I switched over to KMC chains, and used a missing link... no amount of twisting, pinching, swearing unlocked it... hence why I had to DIY/buy the proper tool.

as ducky said... the installer tool isnt nessesary... just position the link between the cassette and chainring at the top, hold the wheel in place, and apply pressure to the crank arm.

edit: was google imaging earlier, but cant find it anymore.
I came across a picture with a piece of metal shaped like an 'M' ....I imagine once its been slotted between the rollers with enough downwards pressure, it will push the rollers together and unlock the link....
might try and making one on the weekend!

Last edited:

Rabble bukes

Likes Dirt
Forget tools, this is the way to go. Simple to do.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
When you've had one on the trail that's stuck - rest assured you'll remember it. I carry a pair of pliers on epic rides now, to prevent the 1/2 hour of stuffing around trying to get a stuck one undone, then the walk of shame. At least the pliers have plenty of other uses as well.

si618

Likes Dirt
Don't need a tool to lock powerlinks. Rotate chain so link is in the top span, grab rear brake & apply presure to the crank. Link locks in sweetly.
Most of the time, but I've had a few that won't lock, even after stomping on the crank.

For 10 bucks this tool locks and unlocks without any hassle or dirty hands.

mason33

Likes Dirt
I found this true for Sram power links... but when I switched over to KMC chains, and used a missing link... no amount of twisting, pinching, swearing unlocked it... hence why I had to DIY/buy the proper tool.

as ducky said... the installer tool isnt nessesary... just position the link between the cassette and chainring at the top, hold the wheel in place, and apply pressure to the crank arm.

edit: was google imaging earlier, but cant find it anymore.
I came across a picture with a piece of metal shaped like an 'M' ....I imagine once its been slotted between the rollers with enough downwards pressure, it will push the rollers together and unlock the link....
might try and making one on the weekend!
YES! That was it! 'M' shaped thing that someone had diy'd. So much smaller and less cumbersome than carrying pliers especially when not wearing a camelbak. I started to think it was all in head...

Now just to find thread so I don't have to screw around trying design my own version of it.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
The 9sp ones do........the 10sp ones definitely don't.
I've never used the 10 speed ones in SRAM, only the 9spd SRAM ones and 10 spd KMC ones. For those, there is never an issue getting them apart with just your hands. If there is grit built up between the plates and rollers you just need to flex the chain a little and work it side to side before you attempt to remove the link. If you have a look at the link once its off, its clear how it needs to get squeezed together to simply slide apart. Maybe the SRAM 10 spd ones are particularly stubborn, maybe its all those super wide bars that's making everyone's hands weak... :behindsofa:

If all else fails, that technique of using the chainring sounds like a winner.