Power Balance...WTF...??

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There's no way these should be compared to chiro or osteo treatments - both of which have offered me genuine relief - due in part their close association in modalities to proven and accepted physiotherapy.

again - long live thecat
They can and should be when it comes to chiros treatment outside their area of expertise. It's downright quackery for chiros to claim to treat diseases such as asthma and cancer, and downright dangerous for chiros to advise against vaccinations because they interfere with "natural" immunity.

Sure some chiros give a good massage that can help a sore back, but so does Nina the blond bombshell down the road.

osteo magic

I went to an Osteopath recently. After three treatments, she fixed my bad hip of twenty years. I tried everything , and Osteo was the only thing that helped.
I'm such a sceptic, but it worked. I was nearly in tears when I woke up the first morning without pain.
But the quackery surrounding some things is incredible. Like those pulsing pads to lose weight. Power bracelets for extra stability, vibrators for pain relief.
I've just invented a device to keep people "regular".
It's called the "cleanmeout".
It's a giant syringe which is inserted deep into the rectum, and then three litres of sulphuric acid is pumped into your nether regions.
I'm sending a complimentary one to each of these quacks. Hopefully they will use them.
Thank God I'm not bitter.!!

Norco Maniac

Is back!
They can and should be when it comes to chiros treatment outside their area of expertise. It's downright quackery for chiros to claim to treat diseases such as asthma and cancer, and downright dangerous for chiros to advise against vaccinations because they interfere with "natural" immunity.
hear, hear. some "practitioners" really do give the rest of us a bad name by promoting quackery. i'm bound by very strict guidelines and rules as to what i can advise and even to what i'm allowed to treat.

Last edited:

Red Peekay

Likes Dirt
Athletes are notoriously superstitious and I'm not convinced that the MTB crowd is significantly better at detecting bull.
It's interesting to note that the surfing community, particularly the professionals, so readily and willingly embraced this "technology". I would suggest they are not too dissimilar to mtbers in attitude etc. So I do agree with you trail monkey in regard to querying whether mtbers having better powers of detection and discretion. In the end we are all human and see what we want to see or believe despite evidence to the contrary!

trail_monkey

Likes Bikes
In the end we are all human and see what we want to see or believe despite evidence to the contrary!
There was an interesting/depressing piece of research published last year that showed that people tend to only accept the opinions of experts, when the expert opinion coincides with their preconceptions.

colesy01

Likes Bikes
The whole powerband fad was done for me when I saw this fat guy at work wearing one. When I asked why he though he needed it, he replied that it helped him lose weight and keep his exercise regime on track. This was the same time I was watching him stuff hot chips and sauce down his throat in fistfulls with a 1.25 coke to wash it down. I couldnt help but think that the band wont do you any good you fat pr!ck.

Desperate people will believe in any quick fix or any easy way out.

GAFMAN

Squid
Power Balance

Its all about POWER of Suggestion and noting more.
NOt proven..

If you think it works it may do.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
No. It's bollocks.
aka BS

How many believe every bit of BS they hear and still have functioning lives? LOL

The power of belief is not to be underestimated though, it is well known and well documented and hence why things like double blind studies were devised to account for the placebo effect. However in this case there should be a control group tested where they are told that their PB bands are not genuine and compared with a second group who are told that they have genuine PB bands. The sneaky bit is that the genuine and non genuine PB bands are mixed up randomly (so that even the testers don't know what is what).

It would be a bit like telling one group of riders they are riding Giants and the other group that they are riding Specialized, or Pinarello riders that their bike is made in Italy LOL What I'm getting at is what is the difference between genuine and non-genuine?

rone

Eats Squid
aka BS

How many believe every bit of BS they hear and still have functioning lives? LOL

The power of belief is not to be underestimated though, it is well known and well documented and hence why things like double blind studies were devised to account for the placebo effect. However in this case there should be a control group tested where they are told that their PB bands are not genuine and compared with a second group who are told that they have genuine PB bands. The sneaky bit is that the genuine and non genuine PB bands are mixed up randomly (so that even the testers don't know what is what).

It would be a bit like telling one group of riders they are riding Giants and the other group that they are riding Specialized, or Pinarello riders that their bike is made in Italy LOL What I'm getting at is what is the difference between genuine and non-genuine?
True. Organised religion has been trading on this for centuries.:p:p

Now that "they've" stopped wearing Ed Hardy t-shirts, one needs to look for the special people by the powerband on their wrists. Biggest load of pseudoscience rubbish amongst a whole load of this crap.

Squid
Excellent

This is a wonderful thread.

I tip my hat to you, martinpb for taking the time to describe things that need to be understood by everyone.

DOWN WITH WOO!

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
Power balance band..... Yep it's a rubber band. I just wish I thought of it first.

As for alternative therapies, I believe there is nothing a cold beer/ cup of tea and a blowjob won't or can't fix.