Posting/Shipping a DH bike

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
So the title says it all. How do you go about posting a bike interstate etc? On it's side? On a crate? Half pulled apart? Thanks dudes!

MARKL

Eats Squid
Bike box, bubble wrap, tape...pull apart to fit (wheels, forks, cranks etc) leave what you can connected (brakes, shifters etc).

Go to SmartSend and wait for them to pick it up...

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Bike box, bubble wrap, tape...pull apart to fit (wheels, forks, cranks etc) leave what you can connected (brakes, shifters etc).

Go to SmartSend and wait for them to pick it up...
Awesome, cheers mate! Bike box? Where would i snap up one of them?

sedifus

Likes Dirt
Awesome, cheers mate! Bike box? Where would i snap up one of them?
Bike box from your local bike shop for the cost of a please and thank you.

You should be able to just remove front wheel, bars, seat and pedals and it will fit into an appropriately sized bike box.

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt

You should be able to just remove front wheel, bars, seat and pedals and it will fit into an appropriately sized bike box.
Ahhh.....that makes sense! Cheers fella's!

MARKL

Eats Squid

Downhill bike so maybe yes maybe no. But I agree general principle is to remove as little as possible

hibo

Likes Bikes
Use as much duct tap, zip ties and old rags as possible, and have your rotors facing to the inside of the box not out side.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Get a quote from interparcel.com.au. Fill the online form in on their website. I just used them to ship a tandem from Melbourne to Canberra. Was a big box. Total cost $53. Got here overnight. Was surprised how cheap it was.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Get a quote from interparcel.com.au. Fill the online form in on their website. I just used them to ship a tandem from Melbourne to Canberra. Was a big box. Total cost $53. Got here overnight. Was surprised how cheap it was.
Where did you get the shipping carton from?

We're you buying a bike or sending your own?

Am keen to know as I have spotted a bike in the for sale section that has caught my eye.

Cheers

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Have a look here at the how to post a bike post that's stickied, there's some good info in that.

I've used smartsend to ship a bike and they were good, cheap too. They also had 10% off for eBay members, you just needed to put your eBay account name in somewhere, the sale didn't have to actually be on eBay.

~Alan~

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at getting a bike posted aswell. Last time I used Temando but they are quoting around $150 this time. Don't really want to use Greyhound as there is no insurance. I see smartsend do insurance although I came across a site that has some negative feedback on them - http://www.productreview.com.au/p/smartsend.html.
Haven't used interparcel.com.au or heard of them but they seem alright on their website.

Chil

Likes Dirt
Have a look here at the how to post a bike post that's stickied, there's some good info in that.

I've used smartsend to ship a bike and they were good, cheap too. They also had 10% off for eBay members, you just needed to put your eBay account name in somewhere, the sale didn't have to actually be on eBay.
+1 for Smartsend, I've shipped a couple of bikes with them and some other larger items, they have been reasonably fast and the cost is reasonable.

hazsy19

Likes Bikes
To pack the bike

+1 for Smartsend, I've shipped a couple of bikes with them and some other larger items, they have been reasonably fast and the cost is reasonable.
Hi is it possible to get the bike shop to pack for us? Or you usually pack the bike yourself? I am planning to pack my bike for a flight next week so don't know if I should buy a bike bag for it or just use a box. I was advised previously box is a cheaper option even if you fly around the bike often.

Regards,
Hazree

~Alan~

Likes Dirt
Hi is it possible to get the bike shop to pack for us? Or you usually pack the bike yourself? I am planning to pack my bike for a flight next week so don't know if I should buy a bike bag for it or just use a box. I was advised previously box is a cheaper option even if you fly around the bike often.

Regards,
Hazree
I have had bike stores box bikes up for me before and even post it aswell. Usually just a small fee for them to box it up.