Popular/common AM HT's

maxwolfie

under-the-radar comedian
Hi all, I am wondering what the most popular frames are - I've got a few ideas by looking at some of the PYR threads already.

I am asking so I can use the models as keywords on Gumtree, Ebay etc as I am looking at buying one :)

The more readily available/cheaper etc the better.

EDIT: Been doing some research, here's something I prepared earlier:

2soulscycles 41.5 Funtail
Banshee Morphine
Banshee Paradox (29er)
Banshee Scirocco
Banshee Viento
Canfield Yelli Screamy (29er)
Chromag Sakura
Chromag Samurai
Chromag Stylus
Chromag TRL
Chumba HX1
Chumba HX2 (29er)
Cotic BFe
Cotic Soul
Cove Stiffee
Dekerf Implant
Dialled Alpine
Dialled Prince Albert
DMR Ex[alt]
DMR Trailstar
Evil Sovereign
Genesis Alptitude
Jamis Komodo (aluminum)
Jamis Kromo (steel)
Kona Five-O
Kona Steely
Lumberjack Rented Mule
Mountain Cycles Rumble
Nicolai Argon FR
NS Society
NS Surge
On-One 456/Summer Season
Orange Crush
Orange P7
Orange SubZero
Pipedream Sirius
Ragley Blue Pig
Ragley mmmBop
Sanderson Blitz
Santa Cruz Chameleon
Sinister Ridge
Sobre OFF
Soul Cycles Icon
Surly Instigator
Transition TransAM
Transition Vagrant
Voodoo Bakka

Last edited:
D

Deleted member FN2187

I'm struggling to understand what you're trying to achieve? If you're simply looking for keywords to search from you'll have to be extremely broad and just search "Hardtail" and filter the results, then sit back and sift through the shit. Otherwise be extremely precise and search on a specific bike. In which case:
Where do you ride?
What do you ride?
How do you ride?

Unfortunately for you, AM hardtails aren't as common in OZ as they are in the UK/USA, so the 2nd hand market is very thin. I know because I was looking for a Transition TransAm or something similar for a very long time. I very nearly bought one from the States, but I bought a 6in trail bike instead.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Kona honzo. Probably the most common single model getting around. I just picked up a frame for quite cheap.

They do an alloy version of the honzo whose name I can't remember for under 2 grand complete from your lbs with decent spec. Not so bad...

D

Deleted member FN2187

Kona honzo. Probably the most common single model getting around. I just picked up a frame for quite cheap.

They do an alloy version of the honzo whose name I can't remember for under 2 grand complete from your lbs with decent spec. Not so bad...
Geometry wise, in my opinion, the Honzo is bang on. I haven't had a roll on one yet but they look like a ton of fun.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Geometry wise, in my opinion, the Honzo is bang on. I haven't had a roll on one yet but they look like a ton of fun.
Yeah totally agree. I've owned a few 29ers and a few am hardtails. But not both in one. 415 stays, generous top tube, 142 axle and not a silly slack Ht angle should keep it pretty nimble. The seat tube is a little short and slack for tall guys.. But you can't have it all.

This is a bike to test the waters and see how I like the style before getting something custom and lighter.

slowmick

38-39"

The alloy version is the Taro. They were about $1600 brand new in previous years.

needaride

Likes Dirt
The alloy version is the Taro. They were about $1600 brand new in previous years.
The Taro is a fun bike, I'm not a big 29er fan (have a 27.5 chameleon) but by 29 standards the taro is very playful & has a pretty common sense spec too.

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt

I didn't know they were doing frame only - did you get a special deal? I'd be interested to know how much they are...

There are a host of kick-arse AM HTs on the market in both steel & alloy. Sure the Honzo's a contender for the 29er lovers. But in all honesty, having ridden one out on the trails for a proper 2hr blast, there's nothing THAT amazing about it. It's the "TrailAM" bike (& that's being generous) for 29er XC guys & that's about it. It's still twitchy; it's still got a cheeky disposition that will have your front end doing the same unpredictable things that hold back 29er HTs at any reasonable descending speed- unless you're riding carpet; & it's still got a "tall" stance. I'm not saying it's bad, just pointing out that at best it's a slightly more aggressive 29er that makes a reasonable trail bike. But AM HT, it most certainly is not- & yes this is solely my own opinion based on having owned (& still own in my quiver of bikes) several AM HTs over the last 6yrs & having tried to ride the pants off the Honzo & in turn very much quickly finding the limitations of it.

Seriously, if people haven't actually ridden a particular bike yet want to make a recommendation on its performance "based on the numbers"... do everyone a favour & put a sock in it/on it/around it; whatever needs to be done to resist the temptation to make an armchair analysis on something you've no actual experience with.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Dig my 29er Canfield Nimble 9. Short arse stays for the win. For long AM rides it's a good choice, but as Shake N Bake has said above, smaller wheels will thrash it in the all out fun debt of angry riding. Not that you won't have fun on the wagon wheels, just not as fast corner slamming fun.
If you're not that fast or powerful a rider and want something that rolls fast and efficient and you're tall but not heavy as, get a 29er. If you wanna thrash the shit out of it like it's the dude that your Ex cheated with, get some smaller wheels.
Like I said, I dig my Nimble 9 Wagon wheel ride for what it is, but I have a 150mm 27"ed 600+% gear range gearbox bike that can do anything it does better and a steel DJ/slalom/whatever fun lil hardtail for chucking about on.. If I only had one bike or was traveling, a 6fiddyB steel or Ti hardtail would be my choice for sure.
For me my 29er is in the stable for epic rides where I might have to carry it and cover lots of KMs, and where I will get to ride techy stuff, but won't be going hell for leather.
Would love a 650b Ti hardtail, but realistically it would be an amazing love affair, but I'd rarely if ever use it. Nothing is more fun than a small wheeled steel hardtail and no bike is more of a representation when riding it of what MTBing soul is, but it's probably not as fast as a dually for me(I'm unfit and unskilled and need the help) and I'm an old man who's joints can't take the abuse.
Check the post your AM hardtail thread. Lots of sexy bikes in there.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Seriously, if people haven't actually ridden a particular bike yet want to make a recommendation on its performance "based on the numbers"... do everyone a favour & put a sock in it/on it/around it; whatever needs to be done to resist the temptation to make an armchair analysis on something you've no actual experience with.
Might as well throw the whole internet away.:flypig:

Might as well throw the whole internet away.:flypig:
Uh-oh, you don't believe everything you read on the intermaweb do you?

If I threw away the the internet, where would I get my fix of people doing Darwinian shit in Russia, or bloody Murica for that matter? Or being able to laugh at peoples anonymous (& not-so-anonymous) I'm a Fuckwit confessions?

It's just a shame that in a pretty tight-knit sport & community that people armchair recommend tech or bikes etc without even having a base level of reference for making comment. And it seems to happen with more frequency on here now than it did a couple of years ago.

No denying that Stupid is as Stupid does by virtue of what Stupid read & believed based on what another Stupid said.

And sure, only a Stupid does such a thing, but be that as it may if someone here is asking for genuine advice/recommendations/feedback which might help them, then it'd be nice if the stupids self-regulated rather than bum-steer someone based on speculation, theory, hearsay or brain-farts.

Thomas11

Likes Dirt
currently building up an on one 45650b with a 150mm fork.
Haven't ridden yet but it surly is a nice looking bike, super cheap for a frame from the UK also, but looks to be very well made.