Plus sized bikes

DTBrad

Likes Bikes
Hi all,
just wondering what opinions are on plus bikes (27+, 29+)? Good option for someone who wants the simplicity of a hardtail but a higher level of comfort and fun? Will they be here for the long term?

Thanks,
Damon

wavike

Likes Dirt
A lot of manufactures are going to 110/148 hub spacing, so wheel size should be around for a while.
+ for +'s are grip and comfort. Less maintenance than a dually. Good on grass, loose dirt and sand, keep up momentum and roll over roots/rocks really well.
-'s weight of tires (and wheels?), rolling resistance.
I think for general use 2.8 may be a better compromise between weight comfort and rolling resistance, but most of the 27.5+ frames seem to be built around 29er BB height, so 3.00" gives a low BB and 2.8" would be too low for most.

LPG

likes thicc birds
I've been riding a trek stache 7 (29+) for nearly a year. Compared to a less aggressive hardtail I would say my speed is much the same but riding is more fun. Part of that is the geometry (the really short rear end) of the stache lets you really attack the terrain. The plus tyres let you ignore the bad surfaces and deal with the more substantial features. I dont have much experience with quality full suspension so I can't really compare fairly. Pedalling is very responsive as you would expect with a hardtail. Climbing is easy provided you have the legs and you will climb technical spots easily as you dont have to fight so much to find traction.

I cant really compare to a good fs trail bike but descending is a lot more fun than the hardtail I had previously. I find I look for fun things to hit on the descents where before it was all about line choice to get through without being shaken to bits.

Wheels (rims and tyres) will be a bit heavier all else being equal but you wont have the extra weight of suspension. I would make sure you have wide rims with the plus tyres. Narrower rims will not support the tyre as well and you will need to go for higher pressures defeating many of the pluses (pardon the pun).

Tyres for the 29+ are a bit limited but there seems to be something to suit every style now. I really like the chupacabras that came stock and they are lasting very well. They are very expensive though. 27+ seems to have more selection of tyres. Plus tyres are heavier as a rule but they wear slowly due to the spread surface area. They can be succeptible to damage though. If you go through tyres a lot from damage you might want to think a bit harder about it. This is probably the biggest negative for some people. Others including myself don't have an issue. Depends where and how you ride. I spent years as a mediocre bmxer and the skills have transferred pretty well but I lack confidece when I am on uneven rocky sections so probably dont hit the tyres as hard as many. I am 92kg without too much fat so not a featherweight.

I really enjoy my Stache and would be looking for another if I lost it somehow. The huge grip combined with the agile geometry is a lot of fun and no slower than any comparable bike.

Squid
My 27+ Norco Torrent 7.1 has been a great bike. It's definitely more fun than most hardtails I've ridden, but I suspect the geometry is as important, if not more important, than the tyres. As far as the tyres go, I've only ridden the original 2.8 Minion DHF / DHR II combo that came on the bike. When I bought the bike I was planning on swapping them with something less aggressive, but I've found them to be quite nice all-around tyres that aren't too slow on the climbs. I have managed to punch a few holes through the rear tyre, which is probably a combination of low pressure, more aggressive riding and the lack of rear suspension. I stated at around 15psi in the back, but have settled on 19.5-20psi. The front DHF has been damage free and has remained intact at 13.5psi.

The Torrent with my other hardtail

IMG_4655.jpg

The state of my rear tyre

IMG_6392.jpg

Ideate

I built a 26" + recently and loved it (NS Surge Evo). Plus size definitely smooths out the ride.

ns_surge_26_plus.jpg

I'm now building a 27.5"+ Dartmoor Hornet.. I can't see myself going back to anything less than 2.5" width now (besides commuter mode).

18341930_1383554591706121_4421424657779860924_n.jpg

Squid
Yes, shops do sell tyres, but not too many 27.5x2.8" 120tpi Minions. I have one on order through my local shop, but this will have to do until it arrives. I stitched the tear/slash, used a large patch on the inside of the tyre, and clamped the patch as it dried. It held air immediately with no loss of sealant, and it's survived one ride so far...

Back on topic, plus tyre availability isn't the best, and Maxxis plus tyres are ridiculously expensive.

Hi all,
Good option for someone who wants the simplicity of a hardtail but a higher level of comfort and fun?
To directly answer: "Yes".

You can get a variety of geometries and front suspension. I have the Norco Torrent 7.2. I run both tires at 11 PSI. A little bit more rolling resistance compared to 20 psi, but the technical climbing is way easier!

If you like the simplicity of a hardtail and aren't riding at high speeds through crazy terrain, but you also aren't a lycra clad strava watcher, then a plus hardtail (with trail geometry) is a pretty obvious decision in my mind.

DTBrad

Likes Bikes
Definitely not lycra clad, wouldn't be a good look.

Will have to save up the pennys. Will have to stick with my Merida Matts TFS 900 XC bike for the time being.