Please Help!!!

trackslayer

Likes Bikes
I keep snapping my hangers. It was ok on my old bike where they were $25 each but on my new one they are $60:mad:. How do you deal with not snapping hangers or bending your derailleur. Can you buy some sort of case to protect your derailleur? Thanks

Tyler!

Likes Bikes and Dirt
single speed dude...

i had the same issue with my first mountain bike, im not sure why they kept snapping, but i got fed up and set fire to the bloody thing and never looked back...

Newton

Likes Dirt
I run one of these, $20 at the LBS - acts as a guard, but also provide some extra support should the derailleur get hit, but still allow the hanger bracket to break as the sacrificial peice should it need to ... the pin going into the derailleur doesn't screw in, it sits in the hole and is adjusted so as to just bottom out once the skewer is pulled tight from the other side, the allow long nut replaces your scewer nut on the drive side.

This is not my bike, just some random images .....

Last edited:

brodie_rider

Likes Dirt
I think short cage derauillers are harder to break as they are shorter to the cassette,
But some one correct me if I am wrong.

trackslayer

Likes Bikes
i have a shimano deore, on a gt force 3 so i dont really want to single speed. but thanks for the tips. does anyone have any links/photos of cases or somthing along those lines?

trackslayer

Likes Bikes
also one quick thing,( call me a noob if you must) what store is lbs and what is the differnence between short and long cage Derailleur. thanks

bear the bear

Is a real bear
also one quick thing,( call me a noob if you must) what store is lbs and what is the differnence between short and long cage Derailleur. thanks
yes...yes you are:p Sorry couldn't resist!
LBS= Local Bike Shop
Short and Long are the cage lengths of the rear derailleur. Generally for XC/ trail riding you should be running a medium or long cage.
Might I suggest you have a look at your riding technique if you are doing this frequently, as there is probably somethere you can change that won't cost you at thing.

Cheers

The Bear

Christo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't drop your bike, never lay it down on the derailleur side & ensure you keep your gears indexed.

Yeah go for a shorter cage i snapped my original one but on the shorter cage and touch wood havent broken it yet, as for your handlebars.. ive got nothing dont crash :p