Pivot Mach 5.7 VS Intense Tracer 2 VS Santa Cruz Nomad

PIC1

Likes Dirt
I am currently in the market looking for 150-160 travel bike and narrowed my choice to Pivot Mach 5.7, Intense Tracer 2 and SC Nomad, my old bike is a Giant Anthem X.

80% of my ride is on local singletrack trails with lots of short climbs and descends, I can ride the trails with Anthem, however have to slow down on the descend and go around the drop/obstacle. 20% of my ride is all day epic that usually has long climbs and longer descends.

Currently looking for a more aggressive trail/am bike that can handle “fun” descend , however still a reasonably good climber.

C Dunlop

Likes Dirt
I have an Intense Spider, which is the 120-150mm travel bike (Currently for sale, FWIW). While obviously a slightly smaller bike, especially since I run mine as a 120mm bike, I did test bikes across the brands that you are looking at, as well as a yeti, a turner and a devinci... and a trek and a cannondale and a spezzy.

Obviously I got the intense, what I found the best about it is that the propedal is really, really distinct. My riding is similar to yours, but I do the odd casual race too, so I wanted something a shade more, well... racier.

I really liked the Cannondale Jekyll and it probably outperformed all of the other bikes, but I didn't like how crowded the bars were with all of the remotes.

If I was buying again, I would do the same but run a new Pike or a Talas 120-150.

If you want the bike to have a firmer, racier pedaling platform, you can always just get your shock re-shimmed when it goes in for its first dampener service.

In summary, intenses are rad and you should get one, but they're all good bikes and the differences between them will be pretty marginal.

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
I have a jekyll. . Great descender... Also bought a mach 5.7 for my dads birthday it's a nice bike and rides like an xc bike efficiency wise but carves nicely. Im more confident in the jekyll but it doesn't climb like the mach 5.7.

Don't bother with the nomad. .. not that it isn't a great bike but they don't climb as well as the jekyll... Let alone the 5.7.

But can I suggest you also try another santa cruz. .. and save you a bucket load of cash. .. The butcher is amazing. .. Read the review on pinkbike.com. exactly how I would sum the bike up.

It is super fun. .. super chuckable and a much better peddler than the nomad. Unfortunately I disregarded trying one before I got the jekyll as I had riddn an sc blur ltc thinking that it would be the pinnacle bike for me but was not impressed. .. So figured a base model bike would be worse. .. How wrong was I.

Don't get me wrong. . The jekyll is more capable but it isn't as fun while doing what it does. .. The butcher feels great as soon as you jump on it. .. feels like you have ridden the thing for years instantly.

JBR

Likes Dirt
I have owned a nomad and currently ride a 5.7. Cannot comment on the tracer.

My opinion is they are a different category of bikes. The pivot 5.7 is a trail bike, whilst the nomad is more of an AM bike. What I mean by this is is that the 5.7 is fast everywhere - up, down, across, anything, whereas the nomad is fast on the way down.

For the riding around Sydney the 5.7 will be faster 95%+ of the time. The only time a nomad would be better is when it gets really rowdy, and how often is that in Sydney or the ACT?

From what you have said, and that you are coming off an anthem, a bike like the 5.7 would work well for you.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What about a Knolly endorphin , blur TRC or Blur LT or Ibis MOJO HD in the 26 range . The trail bike id be looking at if i was upgrading is the SC solo or the Intense Carbine both 27.5 . There is a good write up on PB on the knolly .

bpow

Likes Dirt
Adding another bike Hahaha.
I would also consider a Titus El Guapo. Its on my list of bikes to try one day, Can grab a new frame for under a grand (if they don't sell out first!)

Gravityfreak

Likes Dirt
Adding another bike Hahaha.
I would also consider a Titus El Guapo. Its on my list of bikes to try one day, Can grab a new frame for under a grand (if they don't sell out first!)
I have a friend who is selling an El Guapo frame in size large (mint condition). If you're interested I can put you in touch.

Gravityfreak

Likes Dirt
I am currently in the market looking for 150-160 travel bike and narrowed my choice to Pivot Mach 5.7, Intense Tracer 2 and SC Nomad, my old bike is a Giant Anthem X.

80% of my ride is on local singletrack trails with lots of short climbs and descends, I can ride the trails with Anthem, however have to slow down on the descend and go around the drop/obstacle. 20% of my ride is all day epic that usually has long climbs and longer descends.

Currently looking for a more aggressive trail/am bike that can handle “fun” descend , however still a reasonably good climber.
I think with the Tracer 2 and Nomad you'll be 'over-biked' for most of the riding you do. Personally, I prefer to be under-biked if anything as it's more challenging and fun. The Tracer and Nomad are a lot of bike. I think the Pivot would be ideal for your needs. Alternatively, I'd be looking at the SC Blur TR would be ideal actually and in aluminum isn't too expensive. The older Blur LT would also fit the bill though it's geo is a little dated now.

I have a few bikes for different applications. My Gravity Enduro bike is 150mm R / 170mm F and is built burly. Great for when the going get's fast / steep / gnarly but is too much bike for trail riding (in that it just makes it all too easy and therefore not that fun). My 'Trail' bike is the Titus FTM Carbon which at 135mm is perfect. Cheap too. I'd go for something like that or Pivot or the TR as I said above.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Haha, bit of a cross post from the Mach 6 thread, but figured I might as well share my love for my 5.7C again ;)

I'm in love with my 5.7C :) I wouldn't say it's an XC bike (having come from a Mach 4 previously), but the stock build comes on the Trail or lighter side of AM. That said, it could certainly be built a little bit slacker and burlier if you so desired, which may be my next step once things start to wear out :) It can also take on a lighter/steeper edge for a burly marathon bike too ;)

Mine is currently in 1x10 guise, with a Revelation WC @ 150mm (for approx 67 HA), Fox RP23 (thankfully not CTD), Reverb Dropper, FlowEXs on Hopes with a Hans Dampf 2.35 up front and a Specialized Purgatory 2.3 out the back. This weighs in at 12kg and sees me through everything I can throw at it around Sydney and beyond, including the climbs :)

I've also got a set of Crests on DT240s running a NN and RR, which when installed on the bike with the double-ring chainset, take the bike to 11.4kg. This is fine for most trails, but the slightly heavier build is less worry and give me more confidence to really bomb rough trails at speed.

Sometime in the near future the shock will be getting an upgrade, as the RP23 is starting to show signs of lackluster performance and I'd rather put the servicing costs towards a KirK. I'll most likely change over the fork to a Pike at that point too. That would, by my (most likely highly inaccurate) arm-chair calculations, put the bike @ 12.5kg, with a 66 HA. Pretty burly, quite aggressive, but still nice enough to pedal just about anywhere! It will wander a little bit more on the climbs, no doubt, but I'm sure I'll adjust.

As for aesthetics, one of the things I love so much about the 5.7C are the clean, crisp lines (on my medium frame, anyway). Not that you really see the bike when you're riding it though!

I've not found anything yet around Sydney that I've wanted more bike on (Red Hill, Black Track, Ya Mums, etc) and it's even fun at Oxy now that it's fairly well groomed!

When I hit up places like Ourimbah & Awaba I tend to whack on the lighter wheelset, but I'd definitely be happy with the heavier wheels if I didn't have the choice!

Definitely get out for some test-rides!

I hope that helps! Let me know if you need more info and I'll see what I can dig from my memory for you ;)