Pine Forests around Melbourne

Garrath

Likes Dirt
Having spent a fun weekend in Canberra riding the trails of Sparrow Hill and Mt Majura. I was wondering if anyone has created anything like it in pine forests around Melbourne?

rickazz

Likes Dirt
umm i had a bit of a local spot that has a little track there and a couple of gaps but building in pine forrests sucks arse. pine needle dirt is the worst and i mean the worst to build in it is basically sand and it is just crazy cause there is roots everywhere because there are lots of pine trees.

one thing i can say if theres a track there ride it but if there aint dont bother building.

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
I've never ridden there (as probably mainy Melb riders haven't) so perhaps describe what sort of trails you are looking for? Northshore structures, XC, DH?

Last edited:

Garrath

Likes Dirt
mainly XC. If any Melbournites find themselves in Canberra just make sure your bike is part of the luggage. The relationship between CORC and the gov't is to be envied by the rest of us.

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
The only pine forest XC tracks I can think of around Melbourne are those in the Castelmaine Moonlight Flat area (which are very technical, and very fun). There are also some near Woodend that run through both pine and native forest, more flowy and less technical than Castlemaine. See here http://www.woodendcycles.com.au/wombattrack.htm for the Woodendtrack location and map

Robb

Likes Dirt
Garrath said:
mainly XC. If any Melbournites find themselves in Canberra just make sure your bike is part of the luggage. The relationship between CORC and the gov't is to be envied by the rest of us.

The only good thing about living in canberra is the riding :p

Bodin

GMBC
rickazz said:
pine needle dirt is the worst and i mean the worst to build in it is basically sand and it is just crazy cause there is roots everywhere because there are lots of pine trees.
Try gnarly_rider's suggestion: Castlemaine's Moonlight Flats. It is likely to change your opinion. 25km of excellent technical-ish singletrack.

fasterthanyou

Cannon Fodder
I've just moved from sunny canberra to sunny melbourne. I miss being able to go for a ride in my backyard (mt Majura) whenever I felt the need. And yes, about the ONLY good thing about Canberra is the riding.

Robb

Likes Dirt
rickazz said:
what about johnny howard:p
Not even he is stupid enough to live here :)
(then again, he only walks and doesn't ride)

And yeah, all the pine tree'd riding spots around here aren't like riding on sand. Generally there arne't that many roots either - especially considering how well swept the tracks are from all the riders around here.

Garrath

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the Castlemaine suggestion, will try it.

I gotta say I'm an ex Canberran and would gladly return. I reckon its one of best cities to live in if you love the outdoors. BUt if your interests run to good food, entertainment, night life etc etc, well Canberra aint the place to live.

salty

Banned
Me and my mates have found two tracks in the pine forest near macedon. One of them starts off bawden road, woodend, at the entrance to the macedon state forest. it is fairly flowy and has a couple of log rides, one over a gully, and small xc jumps. great fun in the summer but it is usually a bit wet in winter. definately worth the trip if you go between october and march/april.