Pilot National Cyclocross Series!

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Sure not quite XC and much tougher than an Enduro...

Here's the news you've been waiting for (which has been leakier than the Federal Budget)

For 2012, Cycling Australia has sanctioned a ‘Pilot National Series’ to test the landscape in terms of participation numbers, regulations and guidelines. The Series will include 6 events over 3 weekends in 3 states.

Dates are as follows:

Round 1 - 14 July TrailMix Melbourne, VIC
Round 2 - 15 July Brunswick Cycling Club Melbourne, VIC

Round 3 - 11 August Port Adelaide Cycling Club South Australia
Round 4 - 12 August Port Adelaide Cycling Club South Australia

Round 5 - 29 September Manly Warringah CC Sydney, NSW
Round 6 - 30 September Manly Warringah CC Sydney, NSW

Bring it on!

akashra

Eats Squid
There's still some final decisions to be made on categories, as many of these races also align to other club series, so have to accomodate both. For example Round 1 at Port Melbourne Karting Complex (FGP) is also Round 1 of the Specialized CrossMelburn Series.
Round 2 the next day is also part of the Brunswick Cycling Club Dirty Deeds CX series.

Snozza

Full Gas Promotions
Title correction....

Round 1 - 14 July Specialized CrossMelburn, Port Melbourne, VIC

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
Title correction....

Round 1 - 14 July Specialized CrossMelburn, Port Melbourne, VIC
Brunswick runs a CA licence only, will CrossMelburn be CA only or dual CA/MTBA licences?

Roland

akashra

Eats Squid
A new agreement will permit both CA and MTBA clubs to accept both licenses at all CX events. This has been an issue of much drama which will now hopefully be resolved for 2012 and beyond. While I do not speak for Brunswick Cycling Club, I am 98% certain they will be accepting both licenses for the 2012 series.

uhuforrest

Likes Dirt
A new agreement will permit both CA and MTBA clubs to accept both licenses at all CX events. This has been an issue of much drama which will now hopefully be resolved for 2012 and beyond. While I do not speak for Brunswick Cycling Club, I am 98% certain they will be accepting both licenses for the 2012 series.
YAY. Looks like both me and the boss can race

The $50 3-race CA permit hits the pocket hard when added to entry fee.

Being able to use our MTBA licences makes the trip up worthwhile

Roland

akashra

Eats Squid
YAY. Looks like both me and the boss can race

The $50 3-race CA permit hits the pocket hard when added to entry fee.

Being able to use our MTBA licences makes the trip up worthwhile

Roland
That 3-race license is so variable it's not funny. Some clubs charge $30, others charge $60.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Fuck yeah, very keen for the sydney rounds. +1 for a single speed class.
I doubt there'll be a SS class as part of the series but there may be room for some support events at some rounds. If you want a SS race come and support your local series (see http://mwmtb.com & http://www.manlywarringahcc.org.au/) otherwise it will just look like I'm creating a special class just for me (and the occassional appearance of Timbat)

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I doubt there'll be a SS class as part of the series but there may be room for some support events at some rounds. If you want a SS race come and support your local series (see http://mwmtb.com & http://www.manlywarringahcc.org.au/) otherwise it will just look like I'm creating a special class just for me (and the occassional appearance of Timbat)
Unfortunatley its not something I can do regularly as I work weekends. I could take the day/two days off for a big event like a national round. But it's difficult for me to make regular club rounds. I will try someday soon though.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
National Series entries will open next week.

For those of us not quite up to the A grade level there will be non-National Series races too

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
NCXS2012.jpg

Cyclo-Cross is poised to take Australia by storm when the Champion System SRAM National Cyclo-Cross Series (#NCXS) kicks off in Melbourne on the weekend of July 14-15.

Think a combination of road racing and mountain biking, with some steeplechase thrown in for good measure, and you'll be getting close.

Cyclo-Cross is poised to take Australia by storm when the Champion System SRAM National Cyclo-Cross Series (#NCXS) kicks off in Melbourne on the weekend of July 14-15.

The weekend will feature the first two rounds of the series with Port Melbourne to host Specialized Cross Melburn on Saturday, followed Dirty Deeds at the Darebin Parklands on Sunday. The series also features events in Sydney and Adelaide in August and September respectively.

Cyclocross, or CX as it's known, has a long history in the mud fields of Europe and has also seen spectacular growth in the USA. However it is a relatively new phenomenon in Australia.

Cyclocross provides an exciting alternative to road and mountain bike races because of the shorter courses and races, however it is the challenging nature of the events which creates the exciting new cycling opportunity.

Throughout the races, riders are forced to tackle various terrains including pavement, grass, mud and sand, all while negotiating obstacles such as rocks, steps and logs. The thrills, spills and mud provide great entertainment for competitors and spectators alike.

One of the favourite's in the Elite Men's series is Melbourne's Lewis Rattray who in January became the first Australian to compete at a UCI World Cyclocross Championships. And with Womens' Cyclocross one of the biggest potential growth areas in Australian cycling, the 2012 Series promises to unearth some of Australia's new female cycling stars.

The Champion System SRAM National Cyclo-Cross Series will also host support events, so if you don't want to try your hand at the Elite Cyclo-cross race, there are options for B-Grade CX, Juniors and MTB riders at each of the rounds.

Entries for the Melbourne rounds close midnight this Sunday 8 July.
For more information and to enter the Champion System SRAM National
Cyclo-Cross Series, visit www.cycling.org.au/cyclocross.

2012 Calendar

• Race #1 Melbourne - Specialized Cross Melburn @ Port Melbourne (14 
July 2012) Entries Close 8 
July
  • 

Race #2 Melbourne - Brunswick CC / Dirty Deeds @ Darebin Parklands (15
 July 2012) Entries Close 8 July

• 

Race #3 Adelaide - Port Adelaide CC @ Adelaide Park Lands (11 August
 2012) Entries Close
 5 Aug
  • Race #4 Adelaide - Port Adelaide CC @ Adelaide Park Lands (12 August
 2012) Entries Close
 5 Aug
  • Race #5 Sydney - Manly Warringah CC @ JJ Melbourne Hills Memorial
 Reserve (29 Sep 2012) Entries Close 23 Sep
  • 

Race #6 Sydney - Manly Warringah CC @ JJ Melbourne Hills Memorial
 Reserve (30 Sep 2012) Entries Close 23
 Sep
Please note

• Each race is set to a limit of 100 riders (100 males and 100 females) and the Men's first two races are filling up fast.
  • Cash prizes will be awarded for the overall series, with prize money paid to 10 places with equality between the genders.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Did you see Rounds 1 & 2 on Cycling Central?

[video=youtube;uWsOJ4h9yiE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWsOJ4h9yiE[/video]

dangersean

Likes Bikes
I just spotted myself on TV!!!
wonder if I will also make an appearance from the Adelaide rounds?
Definitely can't wait for the circus to come to Sydney next month!

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
[video=youtube;CQ35gaOKq1o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ35gaOKq1o[/video]

Round 3 & 4 Action from rAdelaide.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome stuff alchemist, I'll try and make it out to one of the Sydney rounds with a cowbell.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

dangersean

Likes Bikes
or better yet why not enter one of the support events on either or both days?September 29 & 30 in Sydney (Terrey hills)

not sure it is for you? then you are in luck! The last round of the local series in the same location is on this Saturday. Rock on up an experience the fun. Yes, you can enter on your MTB in the open CX category racing at 9.30am....

Alchemist.... you got details for the keen?