Pike / front brake problem

ando_freeagent

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alright so bassically im running front brakes on my blk mrkt mob and running pike 409's, its a cable brake and im unable to do barspins and i dont wont a huge long cable for the front i simply want too run it through the steerer.

I have the new star nut which enables me to do this but on the bottom of the steerer is a plug which would obviously be used for a headlock due to it having a hole with a thread which a head lock bolt fits perfectly in (not currently running a head lock though).

would this plug for a head lock simply be pressed in? ive had a suggestion that it may be screwed in? anyone had this problem? anyone know what im going on about or am i just rambling?

i can get pics if needed tomorrow night after work.

cheers

|Matt|

Banned
A headlock is just a super long bolt which goes through your top cap and then screws in to a plug at the bottom. You thread the cable through the hollow bolt at the top.

There is no pressing required.

ando_freeagent

Likes Bikes and Dirt
not what im asking i know what a head lock is

ill have to get pics its kinda confusing, at the bottom of the steerer at the crown, its got a plug which is the bottom of a headlock its been there since i got the forks no idea why im asking if thats simply pressed in or is it screwed in? im not entirely sure and i wanna make sure i know how its in there before i get it out

http://www.bikeparts.com/pimage/BPC309621.jpg i have this waiting to be put in so i can run the cable through the star nut

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's part of the fork by the looks of it.
You might have to remove the fittings from your brake hose to run it through the threaded hole in the bottom.

FoxRidersCo

Sanity is not statistical
Are you referring to the part circled in the pic ?

If so this part does not screw into the steerer and should be easily removed.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I think he is refering to the plug at the base of the steerer that stops crud entering.
In this case, I believe its just a plug that is fitted in. Should be able to either pry it out (I cant remember if it had a protruding lip or not), or else, just get a section of dowel/broom handle, and punch it out though the top of the steerer.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Noooooo! I know exactly the plug you're talking about it, don't try to remove it!! For everyone reading this thread, the Pike seems to be the only fork which comes with a plug at the bottom of it's steerer tube which only has a small hole in it.

I think it was on mtbr someone was asking a similar question (not about bar spins but about the plug that the Pike comes with), anyway the response they got from Rock Shox is that the plug on the Pike was a structural part of the fork, so if you remove it or try to your fork will be weaker - you may as well get a Tora or something! So it's not meant to be removed. However if you take the fittings off your brake hose you might be able to get it through, and if you can't but really must do something I'd maybe widen the hole (drill it out a little), you'll probably lose your warranty but at least that's better than removing the whole plug!!

ando_freeagent

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ango: thats the one im on about, its simply a small plug with a threaded hole

pebble: cheers mate, im pretty sure the hose wont fit through and i wont be able to get warranty anyway they were second hand when i bought them.

my option now is either drill it to fit cable through or just run a longer cable,

any more suggestions would be great too

edit: resolved, i ran a new star nut and since its a cable brake i run a cable outter so it hit the plug thingo and the cable stuck through and i ran another outter to the bottom of the plug to the caliper, i can still get pictures if people are interested and have the same problem or if your just interested as to what was going on

Last edited:

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Noooooo! I know exactly the plug you're talking about it, don't try to remove it!! For everyone reading this thread, the Pike seems to be the only fork which comes with a plug at the bottom of it's steerer tube which only has a small hole in it.

I think it was on mtbr someone was asking a similar question (not about bar spins but about the plug that the Pike comes with), anyway the response they got from Rock Shox is that the plug on the Pike was a structural part of the fork, so if you remove it or try to your fork will be weaker - you may as well get a Tora or something! So it's not meant to be removed. However if you take the fittings off your brake hose you might be able to get it through, and if you can't but really must do something I'd maybe widen the hole (drill it out a little), you'll probably lose your warranty but at least that's better than removing the whole plug!!
I honestly didnt know that. Learn something new every day!