Piggy went to market

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
So when these were first shown a few months ago, was the first time in a long time since I've been excited for a second bike.
I never thought I'd be seen dead on a 'fat bike' but it technically isn't a fat bike, is it?

2007 rolled around when all the craze was the norco shore hardtails, I got a second hand 2003 Norco rampage and it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen!
That bike had DJ1's at 130mm travel and a maxxis mobster, 26 x 2.7. To even make things better, and what I thought was badass. the thing came with a Dice twofour rim. 24 x 3.0. The mighty euro wildlife. now that was a tire. and those frames all accepted those tires without a trouble! then the fat tire fad disappeared. They were gone for almost 10 years before making a re-emegence with the 27.5+ bikes. and now they're a big thing!

Anyway, back to the 6fattie. I saw these mythical pieces of engineering beauty and thought I had to have one. My other bike is an Enduro and I tend to always go last in a group of riders and like to blast about popping off things and just generally enjoying my ride!

The 6fattie was instantly something I wanted to try, something that can climb stupid surfaces and have full grip, something that can rail corners without an issue! and these things aren't supposed to be fast, are they? And this got my attention. I wanted a bike I could just potter about on and have a great old time. And that is exactly what I plan to do with it! My home town is on the coast, with lots of granite on the foreshore trail. It will be perfect for what it's all intended purpose is. mucking about on!

So I shall now entice you with the details and some photos just to top it off.

Frame - 2016 Specialized 6fattie comp large
Fork - Suntour Raidon 27.5+ 120mm air sprung. 15mm axle, 110mm boost
Handlebars - Chromag OSX 780mm
Stem - Chromag Ranger 50mm
Grips - Specialized waffle
Saddle - Specialized Henge 143mm
Seatpost - Thomson elite 420mm 30.9
Front brake - Shimano Saint M820
Rear brake - Shimano Saint M820
Cranks - Specialized stout?
Pedals - Nukeproof Neutron
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT 10spd med cage
Rear shifter - Shimano saint 10spd
Cassette - 11-36 sram something
Front wheel - WTB scraper 45mm dia to spec hub 110mm boost
Rear hub - WTB scraper 45mm dia to spec hub 148mm boost
Tyres - Specialized 650 x 3.0 ground control / tubeless
Total weight - yolo

12029202_10207143870542617_1745330231_n.jpg
12042245_10207143870462615_608762728_n.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks more chubby than fat...I see where you're coming from, 3 inch is very nostalgic to the norco/shore glory day of double wide rims and 3 inch tyres. Looks like you're in for some fun times.

slowmick

38-39"
Everything old is new again :twitch: did you buy a whole bike or a frame? thee seems to be a lot of upgrades.

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
Everything old is new again :twitch: did you buy a whole bike or a frame? thee seems to be a lot of upgrades.
I bought a complete bike. The parts that are on it are spares I had laying about for when the time came that I got another bike.

The chainstay yoke is like that so the stays can be kept super short and have no interference with the chainring. Kind of odd but it doesn't look all that bad. Will be interested to see how it handles lots of stress over time.

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
I'd just like to make a post detailing my brief ride today on this humble steed.

So I had about 30 minutes left before dark tonight so I went up to a few local trails.

My initial reaction to how it climbed was good, I wasn't sure how it'd climb but oh my, this bike has so much damn traction! Both wheels are tubeless and running 14psi which was awesome!

As soon as I started descending, I could feel these wheels in a weird kind of way pick up momentum and build traction in all the corners I rode. It's a weird thing to try and explain.

TL:DR this bike is seriously fun! and if you want something to punt about on that isn't your main steed, then get on top of this!