Picking new handlebars

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
G'day Everyone,

I've done some forum searching & googling on what the deal is with handlebars and come to the conclusion I know very little on the subject. In the past, I've just been swapping the bar I've got from bike to bike and not really thinking about it. Having just built up a new bike & got it the way I want it, the last thing on my list is the bars, so I'm looking at options.

The set up (exhaustive) currently is:
Frame: Santa Cruz Blur TRc, Large w/ Fox RP23 Kashima (135mm)
Forks: Rockshox Revelation WC XX (140mm)
Stem: Thomson Elite X4, 70mm, 0deg, 31.8mm clamp
Bars: Syncros Bulk O/S 690mm, 7075 Alloy 9deg, 40mm rise

Rims: DT Swiss XM1550 Tricon
Front Chainring: Raceface NW 32T
Rear: Shimano XT M771 11-36T
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Zee+ M640
Seatpost: Rockshox Reverb 125mm drop
Brakes: Shimano Saint M810 w/ RT76 185mm
Pedals: Saint flats
Headset: Cane Creek 110
Rubber: Highroller II 2.35 rear, Hans Dampf 2.35 front (tubeless)

Not all pertinent information, but with my lack of knowledge I'll just put it all there in case it is useful.
Myself, I'm 6'2 & 88kg, fairly wide in the shoulders. I tend to ride trail mostly & like it fast & bumpy, Black Rock & Mt Joyce style although I do spend most of my time @ Gap Creek, Bunyaville & Cornubia.

So my questions are these:
Rise or no rise, & how much?
Width?
Material? I'm thinking carbon at the moment.

I recall cutting down my current bars to shorter than the stated 690mm (down to only a bit over 600mm), and I do find them a bit too narrow at the moment. Currently I do get sore palms after a long bumpy run, would this be a handlebar thing or just a grip thing? Best information I could find to pick bar width is to go a bit wider than shoulders.

So any hints or tips on picking the right bar?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I like to have my bars a similar width to my shoulders. I find too narrow and I ride with big chicken wing eldows, to wide.and it is hard to throw the bike around.

Rise will depend on how you like to sit on the trail. 70mm is a pretty long stem so you will lean forward onto your bars. A rise will set you back up. Sort of.

moorey

call me Mia
Tried carbon. Personally not my thing.
The answer to your question is always renthal fatbars (lite, if you only need 750 wide)
Have tried dozens of bars, Renthals just feel right.
10mm rise for me.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
James you are 6.2 on a large frame (which is more like a medium). I dont think 70mm stem is too short for you but 600mm bars differently are. You have a trail bike - and ride it across a range of different areas. You also are running 140mm forks so I would suggest you keep your 70mm stem and whack on some wider bars. I also rate the renthal lite bars- and dont cut em too much. Other wise pick up some secondhand carbon bars - if money is tight and aim for 10-20mm rise and 700mm minimum width. I might have some bars you could try- I will check

Jim Junkie

James you are 6.2 on a large frame (which is more like a medium). I dont think 70mm stem is too short for you but 600mm bars differently are. You have a trail bike - and ride it across a range of different areas. You also are running 140mm forks so I would suggest you keep your 70mm stem and whack on some wider bars. I also rate the renthal lite bars- and dont cut em too much. Other wise pick up some secondhand carbon bars - if money is tight and aim for 10-20mm rise and 700mm minimum width. I might have some bars you could try- I will check
Agreed on the size thing - I was aware of my large stature vs. bike size when I bought it, but throwing a leg over it felt right. Mind you, that was with the previous set-up it had, and not my bars/stem combo. I've always ridden slightly smaller bikes, so it tends to suit my style these days and I find it comfortable.

I have seen the Rental Lite's, and I wouldn't be averse to going AA bars again if there's no or little advantage to be had with carbon. I'll measure up the shoulders when I get the chance & see what that would equate to.

oriion

Likes Dirt
Tried carbon. Personally not my thing.
The answer to your question is always renthal fatbars (lite, if you only need 750 wide)
Have tried dozens of bars, Renthals just feel right.
10mm rise for me.

Agreed, My Race Face Next Carbons just don't feel right.

Renthal fatbars are in the mail somewhere for me.

Jim Junkie

Weeehaaa, new toys:party:
Of course, there are always the carbon option. 80g weight saving on the alu, and if I was going carbon, I'd definitely be riding them.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/renthal-fatbar-lite-carbon-riser-bar/rp-prod114072
80g for $100, that's something I could get on board with, my wife not so much :behindsofa:

I've located some wider bars I can take for a spin, so I'll give them a go. Does the amount of sweep have a big impact on how they feel?

moorey

call me Mia
80g for $100, that's something I could get on board with, my wife not so much :behindsofa:

I've located some wider bars I can take for a spin, so I'll give them a go. Does the amount of sweep have a big impact on how they feel?
It does for me. I haven't even looked at the sweep on the fatbars, but it feels bonza.

Sic

Likes Dirt

Ill join the Renthal appreciation society going on here.

Ive got the FatBar Lites in 20mm rise paired with a Renthal Duo 50mm stem and I could not be happier, great feel and width and not too heavy at all (especially when you look at the stem weight) so I can't recommend them enough.

I wouldn't be too worried about 80g though, thats a KitKat or a Cliff bar and a tube in your bag.....As for sweep and rise it will feel different depending on what you're used to, to start with the width will be the stingiest feeling seeing as you're used to narrow bars. Its a worthy upgrade though.

jimipolar

Likes Bikes
I really love the Spank Spike 777 alloy bars. They are super strong, with just a little flex to take out the jitter. Cut them down to suit your position. They logos rub off easy and you're left with a bar that disappears in the bike's overall look.

Attachments

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sweep makes a huge difference, but it is a very personal thing. I ran a gravity maximus briefly. Wasn't a fan of the sweep. a friend brought them and is now running them on a 2 bikes....

Personally I like a minimal sweep. It feels like there is a more.direct relationship to the steering. Same reason I like a short stem.

Jim Junkie

Ill join the Renthal appreciation society going on here.

Ive got the FatBar Lites in 20mm rise paired with a Renthal Duo 50mm stem and I could not be happier, great feel and width and not too heavy at all (especially when you look at the stem weight) so I can't recommend them enough.

I wouldn't be too worried about 80g though, thats a KitKat or a Cliff bar and a tube in your bag.....As for sweep and rise it will feel different depending on what you're used to, to start with the width will be the stingiest feeling seeing as you're used to narrow bars. Its a worthy upgrade though.
So that's +3 for the Renthal's then. 80g doesn't particularly worry me, I'd prefer performance over weight-weenie stuff anyway. Maybe I should just wash the bike once in a while, could probably shed 80g worth of mud off it anyway:thumb:

Thanks for the advice!

moorey

call me Mia
I wouldn't be too worried about 80g though, thats a KitKat or a Cliff bar and a tube in your bag.....
:faint2:
What tubes YOU running? I was just looking for some weight weenie ones for the sons bike......
110g is about as low as I have come across :behindsofa:

scblack

Leucocholic
I love my Deity Dirty 30s - the sweep fits me perfectly. 760mm wide uncut.

I tried some Race Face Atlas 800mm bars and HATED them.

Bars are a personal thing and what some people like may not suit you.

Sic

Likes Dirt
:faint2:
What tubes YOU running? I was just looking for some weight weenie ones for the sons bike......
110g is about as low as I have come across :behindsofa:
Honestly I'm not! So obviously I've forgotten how much tubes weigh......

Jim Junkie

So, dropped into planet cycles today and a pair of Renthal Fatbar Lites, 30mm rise were staring me in the face. Got them in the hands & felt pretty good for width & all, so guess what I walked out the door with. Mt Joyce this weekend, so if I don't kill myself down Blackrock I'll report back with how they go.

Cheers for the advice everyone.