Photo A Day #6 - Friday, 28/5/10

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Oookay, one hell of an act to follow, but I guess I had it coming asking for the last day. (which now, is no longer the last!) Anyway, I had planned to do a few different things, but ended up getting pretty tied down with my assignments, so have had to grab one from the archives, and didn't get around to doing the after dark shot I had planned.

Nonetheless, I had a first genuine attempt at taking a car photo, spent an afternoon shooting some downhill, and experimented with my new lens, so I can't complain too much!

I hope you enjoy!

1. Riding

Nick Turnbull had barely touched a bike in years. After building up his new rig, a classic red Intense M3, we spent the afternoon shooting at a classic Sydney track. Ended up with this. Lens: 85mm 1.8

2. Portrait

Farkin's very own Alan. We got up early one morning and headed out to West Head to shoot some stuff in the singletrack. The sun just peeked far enough out of the clouds to get a few shots before the mist stole it away again. Lens: 24-70 2.8

3. Black & White

Archive shot, but I haven't put it up here so puh. I spent a weekend up at South-West Rocks for Dave and Sammy's wedding, with Tristan and Elliot. If any of you are familiar with The Grove, it is the same trail-boss Dave that I am talking about. I was filming, and had stopped recording for a moment. They all looked at each other at the right moment, and through the live-view I snapped this one very quickly. The only photo I took all weekend! Lens: 24-70 2.8

4. Bokeh

Tristan Cardew, in whole form, without a camera in front of his face. This one was with a new toy, and it was taken in almost pitch black. Somehow managed to pull of a decent focus. Lens: 50mm 1.4

5. After Dark

I didn't get what I wanted for after dark, but thought about the term literally. If we are speaking correctly, after dark would most definitely mean after darkness, which leaves me to assume that it is daytime that I need to photograph, right?:eek: Lens: 17-40 f4

6. Transportation

So I think this one is my favourite. I wasn't really expecting much considering I had never really shot cars, but I took my time and lit as evenly as possible. This is Daver's lovely new toy, an Evolution VIII FQ320 MR. It's pretty quick... Lens: 50mm 1.4

Last edited:

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
My favourite one is all of them.

You're my hero, Oliver! Nice work dude.

By the way, did you notice Mel's panties? I did...:)

Jervis

Likes Dirt
Amazing shots Olly!
I saw these on facebook when you uploaded them then had another look thinking "hmm I think I know what is happening here", so checked here and bingo! PAD snaps. Well done!

Tristan, you dirty ol' man ;)

MJS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some great shots here! Beautiful light in portrait, transport is fantastic for a first car shoot, even if it is a little unoriginal..

Mobywan

Likes Dirt
All very nice mate. Transportation is my fav. I can hear the burble in the exhaust just looking at it. :D

Unlearn

Likes Dirt
Quality shots dude, that same thought about after dark had crossed my mind hehe. Damn that 1.4 is super shallow! Another great PAD.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
Quality shots dude, that same thought about after dark had crossed my mind hehe. Damn that 1.4 is super shallow! Another great PAD.
Haha yeah unfortunately it's pretty soft at 1.4, so I had to stop it down to f2.0.:) On a FF camera, however, it still comes out really shallow.

hotazell

Likes Dirt
A great set of pics. You know when you go back once you reach the last one and go back to start and start wondering how did he do that/ how did he get that effect... well done. Interesting riding shot I have been thinking of getting a longer prime for riding. The standout for me was the car shot. Well done. Post processing is well refined. You have a fine eye for art.

Oliver.

Liquid Productions
A great set of pics. You know when you go back once you reach the last one and go back to start and start wondering how did he do that/ how did he get that effect... well done. Interesting riding shot I have been thinking of getting a longer prime for riding. The standout for me was the car shot. Well done. Post processing is well refined. You have a fine eye for art.
Thanks hotazell, I really appreciate your reply.:)
Definitely would recommend getting a long-ish prime for riding stuff. An 85, 100 or 135 are all great lengths for shooting riding pictures. A prime also lets you move around the scene a bit more and teaches you to use your environment well.

Transportation is so professional shot and crisp!
Fantasticaly shot, all of them, but that one really stands out for me.
Cheers dude, glad you liked it:)

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
Interesting riding shot I have been thinking of getting a longer prime for riding. The standout for me was the car shot. Well done. Post processing is well refined. You have a fine eye for art.
I dunno Brian...not much will beat the D3s+70-200VRII combo!

hotazell

Likes Dirt
I dunno Brian...not much will beat the D3s+70-200VRII combo!
mmm but I do like the bokeh effect of a lens wide open. I'll wait for the rumoured 135mm f2/f1.8. In the mean time I'll take the 50mm and play. Still trying to get to grips with the camera to take pics that do it justice but I am very time poor at the mo.