Petite indie ti/steel frame builders

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
If you mean the Russian company I cancelled my order after poor service and seeing pictures of their welds.
Quite frankly sir you have no idea. Welds on these frames are amazing, details and finishing.... beautiful, but guess you never held on long enough to find out. Emails were slow to return at times, but Dmitry always held his word if he said he would do something he would. Patience is a virtue.
IMG_41052.jpgIMG_41026.jpg

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quite frankly sir you have no idea. Welds on these frames are amazing, details and finishing.... beautiful, but guess you never held on long enough to find out. Emails were slow to return at times, but Dmitry always held his word if he said he would do something he would. Patience is a virtue.
Yes, those pictures look fine. Have a look at the ones before they were cleaned up and the rainbow of colours found on them. After seeing the range of colours I did some reading and came away asking to cancel my order. Sure it's plain gauge titanium so it probably won't break for a long time. And the price is worth the gamble, but I'd prefer something made properly.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/TIG-gtaw-titanium-welding as one source of info.

705596d1340380433-triton-bikes-titanium-frames-handmade-russia-anyone-imageuploadedbytapatalk134.jpg

Last edited:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Spot on. A good weld should have a straw/yellow colour. Having said that, there are lots of people riding the Triton trials frames without problem so they are probably ok despite the dodgy looking colours in the weld HAZ.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Yes, those pictures look fine. Have a look at the ones before they were cleaned up and the rainbow of colours found on them. After seeing the range of colours I did some reading and came away asking to cancel my order. Sure it's plain gauge titanium so it probably won't break for a long time. And the price is worth the gamble, but I'd prefer something made properly.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/TIG-gtaw-titanium-welding as one source of info.

View attachment 294790
Good article. I always thought the rainbow was just from the heat, but apparently not. Based on that, the frame in the photo should be rejected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes

View attachment 294790
Ahh thanks for the info, I also was unaware of the rainbow effect which comes from contamination, thought it was heat too, however initially I asked to have a raw frame like the one you shown. Dmitriy said they don't produce frames like that anymore due to a change in welding practices, so these pictures could be from earlier batches before they got their welding down pat. If that's the case that frame is shocking.

This photo is how they apparently turn out now. Looks like little contamination in the actual weld itself.

Attachments

Last edited:

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Quite frankly sir you have no idea. Welds on these frames are amazing, details and finishing.... beautiful,
Ahh thanks for the info, I also was unaware of the rainbow effect which comes from contamination, thought it was heat too, however initially I asked to have a raw frame like the one you shown. Dmitriy said they don't produce frames like that anymore due to a change in welding practices, so these pictures could be from earlier batches before they got their welding down pat. If that's the case that frame is shocking.

This photo is how they apparently turn out now. Looks like little contamination in the actual weld itself.
I knew about the HAZ on steel frames/welds but wasn't sure about titanium so I did a bit of research. I'm not convinced they have sorted out their gas shielding issues instead of just saying they don't offer raw frames anymore. Even those new images show a bit too much of the darker colour range for me. I wanted a titanium frame because they are meant to last a lifetime. I realise that the odd frame from any manufacturer might crack, but the images shown as high quality workmanship by some builders (and Triton aren't the only titanium builder to show the same sort of welding pictures) doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Wilson_753

Likes Bikes
I knew about the HAZ on steel frames/welds but wasn't sure about titanium so I did a bit of research. I'm not convinced they have sorted out their gas shielding issues instead of just saying they don't offer raw frames anymore. Even those new images show a bit too much of the darker colour range for me. I wanted a titanium frame because they are meant to last a lifetime. I realise that the odd frame from any manufacturer might crack, but the images shown as high quality workmanship by some builders (and Triton aren't the only titanium builder to show the same sort of welding pictures) doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.
Yeah fair enough, each to his own. They still offer the raw frames but they don't show the rainbow colors anymore (which is a good thing). Was just reading the table on the Miller site, any color other than the straw, silver, bronze and brown in and up to 0.03 inches (0.76mm) from the edge of the weld, so the new images are perfectly fine, the first one has the most color but nowhere in the "alarm bell" zone, like there earlier work.

Here's a few more around the time my frame was built (not actually mine though), Seems good relating to the specs Miller are quoting 1620651_704480199585486_33045970_n.jpg1619283_701203046579868_1616042686_n.jpg

Attachments